Post by Casey Tatum »

Tyson said
The Pot sounds like a korn song

most ignorant statement i have ever fucking heard
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

toolphishdhs said
i think mog is mostly correct in his analysis of the pot. MJK sounds great on that record except in parts where he has to stretch his voice. not scream. stretch. Look at songs like reflection. where he could dynamic roll his voice in the correct key and pitch to suit where ever the music went. another example is the Staring down the hole again line from Pushit. his voice has changed, it is not bad and is still very very good. but he used to be able to manipulate his voice so much more. but it is just not correct at all that his best vocal work ws on 10k days. not tragic or upsetting. still an amazing album. i listen to it all the time. he is old, i wont ever talk shit about him for not being to hit that stuff anymore. it is just the way it is. the pot is not Tools worst song at all. not a huge fan of opening vocals but it is still a really good song. it was awesome live in 07.

Tool shows this year will still be fucking awesome, and he will sing well. people (myself included) need to lower expectations that are placed on this band. they have created that by having an almost perfect musical output and if they nail this album it will be perfect. but everyone needs to recognize that they are up against a mountain of expectation both put on by them as well as all of us. they may make an album that fulfills it, but they may not. time will tell. im hoping it goes above and beyond. 

Well said.  Maynard fans are remarkably sensitive and defensive.  In my response to GB, I specifically stated an example, in Wings, of where Maynard uses voice in a wonderfully creative way that fits perfectly with the music.  I think the song that probably best represents where his voice is at this age is Jambi.  Wonderful song.  Musically dynamic, vocally on point.  Thematically engaging.  I have never said Maynard has lost all talent.  The guy can still get it done.  But part of adjusting to age as a vocalist is learning what you can and cannot do and working with that.  For the most part, he succeeded on 10,000 Days.

Part of the problem during the 06-07 tours was that Maynard was getting drowned out at times.  Tool plays fairly loud music, and Maynard's singing voice is not very powerful at this point.  I felt they were better when I saw them in 2009.  It has taken them some time to perfect their live show with Maynard's voice being what it is now.

Again this isn't a knock on Maynard.  In the right setting, he can sound fantastic.  As much as this Puscifer project has pissed me off at times, there are a few songs that are truly exceptional.  The Humbling River immediately comes to mind.  When Maynard doesn't have to sing loud, he is still a wonderful vocalist.
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

joeypants said

Chimichanga said

joeypants said
Blasphemer! The Pot is one of the best straightforward "rock" songs Tool has ever done, in my opinion. I'd love to know the details of how that song "almost broke up the band," according to Danny.

Can you provide the quote or more insight 

Tom

"As a band, I suppose that one came together a little easier for us than some of the others. We didn't nearly break up over that one like we did for 'The Pot' (track five on said album). A lot heavier battle ensued over that tune than any other but for 'Wings For Marie', the music and even Maynard's lyrics just seemed to fall into place easily."

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/1321 ... lks-to-dis

Good article. Also the same article where he talked about feeling like 10K Days isn't as cohesive as a whole.

cheers for that link, interesting read
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I'll try.

Adam just posted a pic of a tv on pause. Why is that interesting? It's on what looks like a bunch of pot plants. Im on my phone or I'd link it.
Hey! Denty!
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

#c10?
Intension
Fanboi

Post by Intension »

That interview is really good! Worth a read.

James
Fanboi

Post by James »

A thought kicked loose reading that interview with Danny regarding the physical album art for 10,000 Days:

10,000 Days isn't an accessible album when it comes to the artwork--there are these references to the Occult, images that they probably hold and recall but we can't possibly recognize. When I write poetry I often throw in pieces that I or people close to me will understand, but to readers it would just be a single-layered image. I imagine their albums are the same way; the reason this is relevant is because I wonder if they pointedly created the album that way, so people who wanted to understand the stereoscopic images (and imagery/thoughts within the art itself) had to work at it and such. I go back and forth on my opinion of a "hidden puzzle" within it, but today I realized it sort of upholds one of the tenants of Occult learning, the idea that the novice must set themselves on their own path and follow it alone, that self-taught knowledge shows an eager and diligent student. In my own attempts to delve into Occultism I am faced with the overwhelming amount of ideas to learn about before one can even begin to understand. Then you get into discussions, and sharing ideas with others, and such. I'm getting too existential now, so I'll leave it, but this was just a thought.

I really liked reading the interview though. Aside from that: I can't seem to find the photo of the TV, is that on his Facebook page somewhere? I don't own a Twitter.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

James said 

I really liked reading the interview though. Aside from that: I can't seem to find the photo of the TV, is that on his Facebook page somewhere? I don't own a Twitter.

His instagram, don't know about facebook because I don't have one.  But when I did he used to post the same pic on all three most of the time.
Hey! Denty!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

It's just a pic of his porch from his CCTV system, seemingly.
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

James said
A thought kicked loose reading that interview with Danny regarding the physical album art for 10,000 Days:

10,000 Days isn't an accessible album when it comes to the artwork--there are these references to the Occult, images that they probably hold and recall but we can't possibly recognize. When I write poetry I often throw in pieces that I or people close to me will understand, but to readers it would just be a single-layered image. I imagine their albums are the same way; the reason this is relevant is because I wonder if they pointedly created the album that way, so people who wanted to understand the stereoscopic images (and imagery/thoughts within the art itself) had to work at it and such. I go back and forth on my opinion of a "hidden puzzle" within it, but today I realized it sort of upholds one of the tenants of Occult learning, the idea that the novice must set themselves on their own path and follow it alone, that self-taught knowledge shows an eager and diligent student. In my own attempts to delve into Occultism I am faced with the overwhelming amount of ideas to learn about before one can even begin to understand. Then you get into discussions, and sharing ideas with others, and such. I'm getting too existential now, so I'll leave it, but this was just a thought.

intruiging +1
go taff!
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

I gotta say, yesterday I sat down and forced myself to learn the one part of The Pot that I could never play. It's the breakdown riff after the bass solo and before the final chorus. My god that riff owns. I think The Pot might be my favorite song in terms of riffage. It's that, Parabola or 10k days.

@tyson: Stop smoking that dope!

@James: good one man. That article is pretty cool. According to Danny Maynard has more involvement in the writing process than we think.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

James said

If you have to work at understanding the artwork, then i am sure the music was meant to take some effort to understand as well.
James
Fanboi

Post by James »

children said

James said

If you have to work at understanding the artwork, then i am sure the music was meant to take some effort to understand as well.

This is true of any Tool album. The Gaping Lotus Experience, I'm not so sure of...

Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

James said

children said

James said

This is true of any Tool album. The Gaping Lotus Experience, I'm not so sure of...

same goes for Maynard's Dick...
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Don't mow your lawn
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

reiEenieKdnU said
http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/147836/

hahahahahaha

SteveBobSteve
James
Fanboi

Post by James »

snazzlefrass said

reiEenieKdnU said
http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/147836/

hahahahahaha

"I think that this is a song that he heard at a carnival when he was a child. Because the song Jimmy has to do with his childhood, and it is basically the same as this song. So he remembered this from his childhood, and made Jimmy out of it, and this Intermission song is just and intro to Jimmy."

Oh ffs

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

If you have to "work" to understand any piece of art, it can't have been presented very well in the first place.

Simplicity is the highest form of art.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

crow011 said
If you have to "work" to understand any piece of art, it can't have been presented very well in the first place.

I LOVE being challenged by art. I go out of my way to find stuff like that.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

gamebounty said

crow011 said

I LOVE being challenged by art. I go out of my way to find stuff like that.

Meh. Often, now, "challenging" becomes synonymous with "lazy".

There's nothing wrong with reading a book that strives to be something grand (anything by Hesse or Borges, for example) - just don't get sucked in to "art for art's sake".
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

I completely agree. Some people just try too hard and the result is sloppy. But then there are the ones who were born to do it... and oh man, that stuff is juicy. 2001: A Space Odyssey, for example, is like @,@
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

#frictionless
Don't mow your lawn
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

Adam is telling us there will be triphop on the new album?

joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Thank fuck because I only like my fetus heads smooooooooooooth smooth.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

I still cannot believe Adam is going to release a video for The Pot.  It has been seven fucking years. #mindblown