Maynard speaks to Tonedeaf about Puscifer

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Zwerewolf said
Tool is a guaranteed paycheck yet they take forever to put an album out. Saying that Maynard wants a paycheck is ridiculous. I'd also say the others don't timidly tread water... They have been busting their asses on this album and have all been busy with their own projects. Danny is drumming every week and released an album with his other band and Adam works on his art and comics constantly. Justin just in case you didn't know has released an album with his new band as well... The fact that you're looking at this as a business move goes against everything TOOL stands for. TOOL are all about their art as a collective group and what the overall finished result will be. I'm starting to get a little tired of all this obsessing over Maynard like he does everything in the band. Sure he's strapped himself down with several projects but why does that make him king? PS- Puscifer sucks.

Paragraphs.

But, good points. I guess.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
insertcrypticnameher
Bronco's Fan

Post by insertcrypticnameher »

Zwerewolf said
Tool is a guaranteed paycheck yet they take forever to put an album out. Saying that Maynard wants a paycheck is ridiculous. I'd also say the others don't timidly tread water... They have been busting their asses on this album and have all been busy with their own projects. Danny is drumming every week and released an album with his other band and Adam works on his art and comics constantly. Justin just in case you didn't know has released an album with his new band as well... The fact that you're looking at this as a business move goes against everything TOOL stands for. TOOL are all about their art as a collective group and what the overall finished result will be. I'm starting to get a little tired of all this obsessing over Maynard like he does everything in the band. Sure he's strapped himself down with several projects but why does that make him king? PS- Puscifer sucks.

Pure speculation but I've heard a lot of actors and directors who have made into the mainstream and still consider themselves "artsy" say that they use the big project to fund the side thing that they're really into and that's where I think Tool is at now. The basis for the band was the whole "if you go platinum you suck" idea and I think that they sort of hesitantly went along with it (even though D'amour said they'd blow it up if it got too big) because they liked what they were creating. I can't see them ever putting out an album just to get paid; if they think it sucks or is uninspired or w/e they'll just wait until something worthwhile materializes between them. But in the meantime Touring as a way of funding their interests isn't really betraying the idea of the band and if they can create inspired music again they will, if not they won't.

Maynard clearly has a creative itch but not the technical outlet that the other three have, so he can a frontman for another band or create some kind of ensemble project where he's able to learn more about music production and actually make something. But he's clearly not the creative force behind either APC or Tool so what can he do other than to go make his own stuff and wait, and get annoyed when he's looked to as the spokesman for something he has very little control over.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Judging from those recent interviews for the tour, it seems like the band is in good spirits, especially Adam. They don't seem to be stressed or anything and even give the impression that they are excited. I doubt they would be so positive if things weren't going well with the album.
brokenchimes
Maynard Believer

Post by brokenchimes »

^ Well I was more referring to the personalities in the band and how more likely it is for something to happen once a certain player is involved. There's no argument really. 'timidly treading water' refers to the time it takes that they have shown in all their affairs: Volto!, Mt Void etc. Maynard creates art but of course looks at his work as a Job.. Which he even clearly says.
brokenchimes
Maynard Believer

Post by brokenchimes »

^^^
tiresias
Has been

Post by tiresias »

Tool Mother Fucking TOOL!. The new album is going to be awesome. I listen to Tomahawk's new album (awesome BTW) and then I listen to Rosetta Stoned and I am totally fucking blown away. Feel free to bitch and moan. Thats the way I like her. Mog trolling MJK's voice is totaly BS anyways. When he did Pushit on the last go round the vocals were spine tingling. Aussies, enjoy that fucking shit. Its going to be two years before they are back down there.
“Casual Fan”
nousername
of Arimathea

Post by nousername »

The other day I was watching "That Mitchell And Webb Look", and this scene made me laugh, found some similarities to "No Tool or APC questions":

DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

I don't particularily care about queen or BR, but thought maynard did a fine job, as well as the band. Non-musicians can be really critical sometimes and not know what the hell they are talking about.
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

@tiresias

Exactly. I was there for the first show of 2012 and they blew the whole crowd away. Maynard sang great.

Lots of comments here do the easy and boring thing, and just troll everything with negativity and ignorance, while actimg like they know everything.
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

DRURY said
@tiresias

Lots of comments here do the easy and boring thing, and just troll everything with negativity and ignorance, while actimg like they know everything.

Yeah I'm a bit surprised how negative this forum is. I mean sure, its the internet, but I expected a higher level of discourse than the vitriol I've seen here.
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

@DRURY

I'm a know-it-all musician because I can push a button on my DJ toy while pointing at the crowd and talking to hot chicks.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

tortured souls they are
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

"They have been busting their asses on this album and have all been busy with their own projects."

Haha! What a ridiculous comment! Spare the bullshit excuses. 7 years to make an album is beyond lazy. Great to see that Maynard timed that comment right after the article mentions Tool. It was aimed at the other three and rightly so. Drumming on the side and releasing shitty collaborative discs is a hobby. The rest of the time they were (are) on vacation.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Honestly, if I was in a huge fucking band and we all did what we wanted, when we wanted, and I hopped on the interwebs just to snoop around and see what people were saying about us, and if most of what i found were nancy-boys complaining about this or that as it related to how long it took us to put out our next album, yeah I'd fuck with 'em at any/all opportunities.

Just remember this:

Comic Book Guy: Last night's "Itchy & Scratchy" was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured that I was on the Internet within
minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.
Bart: Hey, I know it was great, but what right do you have to complain?
Comic Book Guy: As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.
Bart: What? They're giving you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? If anything, you owe
them.
Comic Book Guy: [pauses] Worst episode ever.

To quote Outkast, "marinate on that for a minute."
I like to poop naked.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Gwarden said

DRURY said
@tiresias

Yeah I'm a bit surprised how negative this forum is. I mean sure, its the internet, but I expected a higher level of discourse than the vitriol I've seen here.

Then . . . fuck off?

Has it ever occurred to you that people pump out the vitriol because they deeply love and respect the band, and want more music from them? And perhaps we're all sick of the bullshit little "teasers", fake-outs with regard to updates on the progress on the album, and the 'Nard's complete devotion to being as big of an asshole as possible?

True fans of something get upset and angry because they utterly love the object of their interest. I'd rather be considered an angry fucking asshole than some smug prick who looks down on an entire online community.

Though, to be fair, you could make a fairly convincing Venn diagram based on that last sentence.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

^ To be fair, I'd consider myself a "true fan" but at the same time I couldn't care less when/if they do put out their next album because I realize that it is totally and completely out of my control.  So why lose a hard-on over it?
I like to poop naked.
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

@crow011

Has it ever occurred to you that deep love and respect is not generally illustrated by throwing tantrums and hurling abuse?

Or that a "true fan" might express that "utter love" with some respect, patience and dignity?

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Gwarden said
@crow011

Has it ever occurred to you that deep love and respect is not generally illustrated by throwing tantrums and hurling abuse?

Or that a "true fan" might express that "utter love" with some respect, patience and dignity?

LOL, who's throwing tantrums and hurling abuse?

And who are we supposed to be showing respect to? Are you Justin? Does anyone from the band read anything on this forum?

I'm pretty sure, as equipped as we are with feelings and opinions, that we're allowed to say whatever the fuck we want to say about our favourite themes and topics at any time.

But you go back to your quiet life of dignity and reverence. I'll be over here having a laugh with my friends as we express our frustrations and emotions over any range of topics.

Wanker.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Also, who the fuck let Lizbet back.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

crow011 said
Also, who the fuck let Lizbet back.

Lizbet was back?
snaggle
Maynard Believer

Post by snaggle »

Here's what's up;
Maynard says, "I'm not lazy, read between the lines" and true, he is a very busy man. He tweeted the Hitler vid recently and included A.Jones in the tweet. Justin with this mt void thing, whatever it is, Adam getting married or whatever, Danny basically just hanging around and selling pillows.... Maynard is waiting until the other tools have their shit together to the point where he can come in and do his thing. A singer isn't going to construct verses and melody and vocal structures if the band is likely to change the song, or if it's still in its initial phase of construction.

Maynard is ready to go when they are. They're just dragging their asses. Yet Maynard gets all the shit from the fans (me included). Riotously unfair.
Whisp
Maynard Believer

Post by Whisp »

"who’s throwing tantrums and hurling abuse?" - crow011

Ahhh you are? Seems that you're one of those pieces of shit who can't tell that they stink. Which is where Tool fans start to get their bad rep, and where we seem to have a problem. Considering you're talking about the band with such love as a crazy ex girlfriend talks about her ex boyfriend, like she knows all there is to know, but really she knows nothing at all, you must think you're some OG from '92 as you love to get angry and get off over the fact that that Tool hasn't released an album in nearly 7 years and you have no solid info on when they will. Take a step back buddy, take a chill pill, and chill the fuck out. Realise that we are all in the same boat and no amount of bitching about anything Tool related is not going to get you "your" album any faster. Stop referring to Maynard as 'Nard, like you're his number 1 groupy, it's fucking gay. Like you, you piece of shit.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

crow011 said

Gwarden said

DRURY said
@tiresias

Then . . . fuck off?

Has it ever occurred to you that people pump out the vitriol because they deeply love and respect the band, and want more music from them? And perhaps we're all sick of the bullshit little "teasers", fake-outs with regard to updates on the progress on the album, and the 'Nard's complete devotion to being as big of an asshole as possible?

True fans of something get upset and angry because they utterly love the object of their interest. I'd rather be considered an angry fucking asshole than some smug prick who looks down on an entire online community.

Though, to be fair, you could make a fairly convincing Venn diagram based on that last sentence.

Fuck yeah.

Good ol' May Jay calling out Lazy Bones Jones! Or not.

SteveBobSteve
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Whisp said
"who’s throwing tantrums and hurling abuse?" - crow011

Ahhh you are? Seems that you're one of those pieces of shit who can't tell that they stink. Which is where Tool fans start to get their bad rep, and where we seem to have a problem. Considering you're talking about the band with such love as a crazy ex girlfriend talks about her ex boyfriend, like she knows all there is to know, but really she knows nothing at all, you must think you're some OG from '92 as you love to get angry and get off over the fact that that Tool hasn't released an album in nearly 7 years and you have no solid info on when they will. Take a step back buddy, take a chill pill, and chill the fuck out. Realise that we are all in the same boat and no amount of bitching about anything Tool related is not going to get you "your" album any faster. Stop referring to Maynard as 'Nard, like you're his number 1 groupy, it's fucking gay. Like you, you piece of shit.

Longest sentence of all time.

And you called me "gay".

Um, would you like me to respond to this properly?

I fucking hope not.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

snazzlefrass said

crow011 said

Gwarden said

DRURY said
@tiresias

Then . . . fuck off?

Fuck yeah.

Good ol' May Jay calling out Lazy Bones Jones! Or not.

I know, it gets boring sometimes, huh.