February Tool Newsletter released

ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Chill316 said
I honestly don't think there will be any added tracks. If you think about it why would they limit the amount sold? Now artwork, that's something that you can limit because you really don't care to torrent artwork, right? It wouldn't be much of a cash grab if it had added songs and they only sold 5,000 copies. haha.

sounds like something maynard would say
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

How is Opiate a throwaway release?

Those songs are all 100% TOOL. The sound quality isn't up to the levels they would later achieve, but that is to be expected from a first EP. I could go down the list of the tracks and explain why each track is fucking cool, but why bother? The energy in the live tracks and raw chemistry that can be found on Opiate is inspiring. You really won't find bands emit that much newfound creativity very often anymore.

All the Purveyors of Original Thought are here to shit all over every bit of news on this website, so don't look for any actual deconstruction of music, discussion about song structure or lyrical content.

Nope, it's all just "MONEYGRAB".

These self appointed mascots of this page fail at every turn to recognize the obvious in pretty much everything that comes across their field of vision. Whatever comes in view is just a target for their inner unhappiness and sour existence to shine forth and attach to the object of spite.

Half of us without this affliction can see it for what it is, and nobody is impressed.

Predictable. Boring. That is my mantra for you.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

joeypants said
Just as an aside, Bob Ludwig masters all of Tool's stuff. He is an amazing craftsman in that arena, and well known opponent of the "loudness wars." 

That's an interesting statement, as I've heard him called Bob the Butcher in many circles.  To be honest though I haven't really been keeping tabs on the whole loudness war.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

DRURY said
How is Opiate a throwaway release?

Those songs are all 100% TOOL. The sound quality isn't up to the levels they would later achieve, but that is to be expected from a first EP. I could go down the list of the tracks and explain why each track is fucking cool, but why bother? The energy in the live tracks and raw chemistry that can be found on Opiate is inspiring. You really won't find bands emit that much newfound creativity very often anymore.

All the Purveyors of Original Thought are here to shit all over every bit of news on this website, so don't look for any actual deconstruction of music, discussion about song structure or lyrical content.

Nope, it's all just "MONEYGRAB".

These self appointed mascots of this page fail at every turn to recognize the obvious in pretty much everything that comes across their field of vision. Whatever comes in view is just a target for their inner unhappiness and sour existence to shine forth and attach to the object of spite.

Half of us without this affliction can see it for what it is, and nobody is impressed.

Predictable. Boring. That is my mantra for you.

"THIS HAS WIN ALL OVER IT."

That's my impression of Mog. Do i sound cool now?
Jethro Tool
Maynard Believer

Post by Jethro Tool »

dont think they need the money. i reckon the only bonus will be a full frontal version of the Hush video
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

whats with people around here sometimes!! on my post someone goes 'huh?' and says nothing else. if u actually were "huh?" you would of elaborated on that.

good points after that though, maybe a studio version of the live tracks. i didnt even think of that. i prefer live shows so my head goes to the SBD of those two live tracks that i showed the info for. it wont be long. time flys. i hope the artwork doesnt look overly CGI though, Salival was a bit dissapointing that way. not the outer box but the booklet inside is somewhat budget looking computer graphics. i think Cam did a rush job on the booklet.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

crow011 said
If they're doing updated tracks and what-not, it's pretty rude to limit it to only 5,000 copies.

I'll keep sticking to artists who don't require me to buy into their bullshit, just to feel like a "true fan".

^ This

I personally love Opiate and have listened to it innumerable times over the years but this entire 21st anniversary edition concept is absurd.  I cannot fathom why they would take/waste the time remastering, creating new artwork, etc for a 21 year old EP and only limit it to 5,000 copies.  I can't imagine it being any less than $69 bucks, and I suspect it will end up being closer to $100.  Again, to me, it seems like time wasted that could be spent in the studio working on the new album.

I am kind of interested in seeing how the release goes down.  Toolband Merch has NEVER been efficient.  Christ they couldn't get the MT Void launch right.  And with the crazed Toolios banging away at their keyboards, I bet their server takes a shit.  Now that would be hilarious.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

^ Wouldn't be the first time on the TA server taking a dump.

I am pretty ambivalent about this.  Interested to see how it plays out, but I don't see myself buying any of it.
Ki77aan :twisted:
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

mogeffingmog said
I personally love Opiate and have listened to it innumerable times over the years but this entire 21st anniversary edition concept is absurd. 

It's all part of their master plan which you can't fathom yet

Fibonacci sequence has 21 in it... 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55...........

New album will come out in 2014... 8 years since 10k days.

Professor of Lesbian Science
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

It did say that it's a "handcrafted" package. Sounds like it's a collector's item sort of release. There's a possibility these 5 sets of 1,000 are in vinyl and it will be released in a much greater quantity in cd format at some point in the future.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

hellboy1975 said

joeypants said
Just as an aside, Bob Ludwig masters all of Tool's stuff. He is an amazing craftsman in that arena, and well known opponent of the "loudness wars." 

That's an interesting statement, as I've heard him called Bob the Butcher in many circles.  To be honest though I haven't really been keeping tabs on the whole loudness war.

Well, at some point the mastering person has to bend to the will of the artist. That's who pays the bill after all. I'm sure he's done plenty of brick-walled mastering jobs because the artist has requested it.

N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

who does everyone think they are on here to wave their fingers? honestly. you must be out of your heads. I think people are getting too high... so high.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

NYHC81 said
I think people are getting too high... so high.
That's the plan. ^ _ *
SteveBobSteve
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

crow011 said
"If they’re doing updated tracks and what-not, it’s pretty rude to limit it to only 5,000 copies.

Whatever. I mean, torrents, right.

“OPIATE” was always a very throw-away release for me, anyway. People like Tyson think I’m nuts, but it sounds nothing like TOOL. It’s almost a demo for what the band could actually end-up being. Short songs, formulaic, and a little boring. Sure, the fire is there, and it’s cool to throw on every now and again – but given the choice of ANY TOOL album when I’m in the mood, that doesn’t even get a mention. It’s a novelty. You throw it on to be, like, “LOL, this was TOOL’s first release. Cool, huh.”

Re-released with better sound quality, perhaps, and artwork = meh. I can totally see why hardcore TOOL fans would buy it, and I might’ve even considered it back when I was younger.

As it stands, it kind of looks like a way to get some cash.

I’ll keep sticking to artists who don’t require me to buy into their bullshit, just to feel like a “true fan”.

Waste of time and money. NEXT."

I probably won't buy it either unless it's got something really special to it musically. I could give a shit less about the artwork involved... it's not an original piece of art you're buying it's a copy and it's too small to hang on your wall for all to see so I kind of agree with you. As far as the music goes... Think about the time that album was released and what else was going on in the music industry. TOOL were very very different than anything else at that time which they continue to hold true to now in-fact. I'm also really starting to see a theme to the overall catalogue and think that maybe their collective work is one giant concept album (wouldn't that be something). I was working out in my yard the other day excavating dirt and laying brick and so I just threw my ipod on and listened to all TOOL songs on shuffle... It all kind of just blends and there really isn't a rough transition from song to song. It's like no matter which way you listen to the story it all flows.
Meh... anyways... my opinion thanks for listening (Lateralus Album is my favorite part of the story thus far).
Also: Someone mentioned something about them only releasing 5,000 copies. I thought they were releasing them in 5,000 copy increments with subtly different artwork but I may have read that wrong?
Whatev... Got my How to Destroy Angels tix for the Monterey show (my home town) in April! So stoked! Can't wait for NIN and if we can pin TOOL down in the US this year it will officially be the best concert year ever! Follow me on Instagram Zvverevvolf the vv's are actually two V's in my instagram name. Love to hear from you guys as we have common interests.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Are you still pushing your instagram account?
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

@badkittygothgirl just a request to interact with people from around the world... something wrong with that? got something against me or instagram?
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

@badkittygothgirl I could pick you apart if you had a little more to say yet you simply just ask a question without any rhyme or reason? If you have a retort I'd love to hear it! The only thing I have from you is a question and a username.... "badkittygothgirl" you label yourself likso juvenile and I feel like you maybe... don't fit in somewhere and maybe... need to fit in so you just whip out your handy dandy label maker, throw on some black nail polish, black no 1 dye for your hair, black clothes maybe? I bet your perfume smells like burning leaves too right? (Pete Steele reference... oh yeah). If you've got a problem with me posting something on here then cough it up and let's hear what you have to say. Don't ask if I'm "still pushing" something. I'm not a drug dealer (i share what I have) and I'm not peddling some cheap product. Just trying to connect with people is all. I feel like there are certain people in these forums that just want someone to listen to them so they hop on here and make stupid remarks and act like children to start wars so they can get attention. This is supposed to be a place of common interest not conflict.
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

^ Haahaa!  Lighten up dude, I'm sure she's just bustin' your balls.  Don't be so internet sensitive.
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

DRURY SAID:
DRURY
March 2, 2013 at 7:22 pm
There is nothing more ignorant than someone that believes there is a difference between the two fascist wings of the tyrannical eagle that controls america.

But yeah, fight the power dweebus.

Anyways, i’ll say it again. Most people have become rotten spoiled brats with no class, respect or any sense of reality. A band that we like is releasing an anniversary album with new artwork, and from what the press release said “bonus laden” content. There is nothing about this that requires your shitty attitude or sardonic response.

Nobody is forcing you to buy it, nobody cares if you buy it.

5,000 fans will get varying degrees of enjoyment out of it, and you sinkholes of negativity and spite will continue to think everything is pointless and shitty and “gimmicky”.

What’s new? Nothing in your frontal lobes, apparently.

Zwerewolf: @DRURY I pretty much mostly agree with you... can't really say much other than what you've already said... well, I can and we all know I can but I'll just piggy back off of what you've already stated. Cry babies are annoying... that is all.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

^ Yeah.  That'll tell 'em.
I like to poop naked.
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

Zwerewolf said
Cry babies are annoying... that is all.

Oh the irony.
sublime5446
Fanboi

Post by sublime5446 »

Zwerewolf said
@badkittygothgirl I could pick you apart if you had a little more to say yet you simply just ask a question without any rhyme or reason? If you have a retort I'd love to hear it! The only thing I have from you is a question and a username.... "badkittygothgirl" you label yourself likso juvenile and I feel like you maybe... don't fit in somewhere and maybe... need to fit in so you just whip out your handy dandy label maker, throw on some black nail polish, black no 1 dye for your hair, black clothes maybe? I bet your perfume smells like burning leaves too right? (Pete Steele reference... oh yeah). If you've got a problem with me posting something on here then cough it up and let's hear what you have to say. Don't ask if I'm "still pushing" something. I'm not a drug dealer (i share what I have) and I'm not peddling some cheap product. Just trying to connect with people is all. I feel like there are certain people in these forums that just want someone to listen to them so they hop on here and make stupid remarks and act like children to start wars so they can get attention. This is supposed to be a place of common interest not conflict.

you make yourself sound like the coolest person in the world, who wouldn't want to be your instagram pal.  Just kidding no one wants to be your Instagram pal

snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Now now kids. No need to resort to name calling and what have you. Let's try and stay on topic. I know it's hard, with all the colorful personalities that grace these forums on an hourly basis.

Any idea when the details will emerge? Might as well wait until it comes out, ffs.
SteveBobSteve
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

snazzlefrass said
Now now kids. No need to resort to name calling and what have you. Let's try and stay on topic. I know it's hard, with all the colorful personalities that grace these forums on an hourly basis.

Any idea when the details will emerge? Might as well wait until it comes out, ffs.

June 27th

Don't mow your lawn