Opiate 21st Anniversary Edition hits the printers

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said
Are you guys reading the same thing I am?  It clearly says things like "bonus items" (note the plural) and "which include" which implies that there is more than just stereoscopic pictures.  

Not trying to imply you are against the project or are wrong, just saying that there's plenty of leeway in the text of the press release to suggest the product will contain more than just artwork.

Surely they would've used something like "bonus content" if they were referring to new/unreleased music.

"Items", to me, implies physical objects - like, fuck, a badge? Stickers? Figurines?

Figurines.

THEY'RE GOING TO PUT FIGURINES OF THE BAND MEMBERS IN THE FUCKING BOXES.

I'm buying seven.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

They better be small enough to fit into my urethra
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

As a newb to Fourtheye and even as as a Tool fan for that matter,I get to play the Ignorance is bliss card:

I don't even care much for opiate,and barely for Undertow,but the artists that produced Aenima,Lateralus,and 10,000 days are incapable of producing as lame a product as this has been assumed to be.There is something special in this package.I can only guess what it might be,But if it is as lame as has been assumed,These guys have taken up Shooting heroin as a hobby.

My naive opinion? This package(cue the sexual references)...will be very special...and very expensive..get your wallets out.

not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

eyepod said
I don't even care much for opiate,and barely for Undertow,but the artists that produced Aenima,Lateralus,and 10,000 days are incapable of producing as lame a product as this has been assumed to be.

I guess you never bought the Parabola / Schism dvd's
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

I believe the bonus material is a dvd of an episode of Family Guy, where Stewie Griffin goes into business with Maynard in a wine making venture, which quickly turns sour (geddit!) when Quagmire accuses Maynard of using inferior grapes in the product to save money - which in turn causes one of Quagmire's asian servant girls to contract a bad case of food poisoning.

Meanwhile, Adam and Danny pose as students at James Woods High School, in order to spy on a baseball coach whom Danny believes is an alien escapee from Area 51.

Oh and Justin has sex with Lois for no particular reason other than she is hot.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Tyson said

I was thinkin' "ass", but you . . . you really went for it, didn't you.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

eyepod said
I don't even care much for opiate,and barely for Undertow

^ Sacrilege.  Especially Undertow.  Man you youngsters need to spend some time with that album.  Undertow is fucking money.
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

Tyson said

eyepod said
I don't even care much for opiate,and barely for Undertow,but the artists that produced Aenima,Lateralus,and 10,000 days are incapable of producing as lame a product as this has been assumed to be.

I guess you never bought the Parabola / Schism dvd's

I have not.

And ignorance will remain bliss.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

mogeffingmog said

eyepod said

^ Sacrilege.  Especially Undertow.  Man you youngsters need to spend some time with that album.  Undertow is fucking money.

I agree with him on "OPIATE", but not "UNDERTOW".

That album is where the love begins . . .

smithersSOCAL
Bronco's Fan

Post by smithersSOCAL »

I cant wait till they sell out in seconds. the tool site crashes.

hellboy breaks in with an emergency post telling everyone to "stay calm".

then reading 300 posts from people mad they didnt get one. l

ike everyone else has noted its shaped vaguely like the salival box. Mine is falling apart and the DVD is crap (it sits in pristine condition in a plastic bag on the shelf). Like the great Homer once said "possessions are fleeting".
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

crow011 said

mogeffingmog said

eyepod said

I agree with him on "OPIATE", but not "UNDERTOW".

That album is where the love begins . . .

No argument here.Opiate was leaving the launchpad.Undertow achieving escape velocity...and off they went...

Anyone know where they are now?
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Maybe they're updating toolband.com and it'll be good to go in time for the sale. Then the resurrection of TA, and the masses will flock once more.
SteveBobSteve
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

smithersSOCAL said

Not sure it'll be an emergency post - you can pretty much guarantee I will be posting at the time of sale regardless of if it goes well or smoothly.

Speaking of the sale - I hope they have some kind of plan in mind - using the current Toolband store I expect will only end in tears.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

hellboy1975 said

smithersSOCAL said

Not sure it'll be an emergency post - you can pretty much guarantee I will be posting at the time of sale regardless of if it goes well or smoothly.

Speaking of the sale - I hope they have some kind of plan in mind - using the current Toolband store I expect will only end in tears.

mmm....yes...tears...
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
thesheedspot
My pain is just an excuse

Post by thesheedspot »

wow. this place reminds me way too much of a board i visit for my favorite sports team. constantly shitting on something you supposedly love. people barely care for undertow and wont buy the new album until someone else tells them its "excellent".

count me as someone who will try to get this release and cant wait for the new album to drop, whenever that may be.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

our numbers are growing...
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Tyson said

+ 1
Ki77aan :twisted:
azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

Think the bonus content will be a fish hook? Maybe scissors?
azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

If this is an AJ project sprucing up the design aspect then hopefully new concert posters for the fish series will be rectified as well! haha, no but seriously glad to see Tool is coming out with something I think I could appreciate more than a pillow, just hope it's not a price gouge otherwise I'll be one of the hopefuls (our from the sound of some people a 'sucker') trying to get in on this.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

In my opinion its all about the artwork,hence blair saying 'some' fans will be pleased with the release.Surely if it was new music that would please all tool fans but only the ones that frame posters and shit will be arroused by new artwork for an old album?? Just a wild guess though!!

Also I agree what someone else said about the band needing to relocate to find inspiration smacks of desperation or a band that ran out of ideas. I doubt they are doing this album cos of some raw desire or the need to get shit off their chest. Id say it is more that they are obliged too an its what bands do right?

petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Zwerewolf said
Adam is however a perfectionist so it's only probable that he was unhappy with something in the artwork.

not buying into that statement at all... have you seen the Melbourne posters from last tour? Notice anything glaringly fucking wrong with them... yup, released for mega bones, along with the tees...

and either the printer didn't care enough to see/say anything or Adam said 'awww, fuck it, let 'em rip'... perfection my ass
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

petemasterpete said 
and either the printer didn't care enough to see/say anything or Adam said 'awww, fuck it, let 'em rip'... perfection my ass

I will say that the printer did know, and that he wasn't in a position to do anything about it due to master arriving so late...
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy1975 said

petemasterpete said 

I will say that the printer did know, and that he wasn't in a position to do anything about it due to master arriving so late...

I'm aware of that also, Mr. Boy... just glorifying the fact regarding the master
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Here's a possibility about this release we haven't discussed yet when it comes to the "Opiate" package bonus material, how about musical collaborations? In addition to us discussing remixes, unreleased tracks, live recorded material how about if they spiced it up with a few guests features as a bonus song? Dave Grohl has that new studio where he took the "Sound City" board with him. (if you haven't see the new documentary "Sound City", give it a whirl. Queens of the Stone Age, NIN, Nirvana, Paul McCartney all jamming together). Maybe Tool got together in L.A. with a few dudes and recorded something special for the 21st anniversary release? Tool recorded "Undertow" at "Sound City" and I didn't see any of them in the documentary, the Tool gang was strangely omitted from these gatherings (so we think). They always have those live drumoffs with guests at their live shows. The Melvins and former Isis members are always hanging around with Adam, Justin is still close with Peach, Chino from the Deftones is in L.A. always working with other artists, doing Lateralus live with Kirk Hammett from Metallica etc. Wouldn't that be something? Maybe Josh Homme and Maynard? I saw Les Claypool and Neil Peart hanging with Danny Carey jamming on youtube. They could have re-recorded "Sweat" with the guys from Rush for all we know!!
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

To be honest that seems just as unlikely as a surprise new album.