Opiate 21st Anniversary Edition hits the printers

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

James said

crow011 said

joeypants said
Musically/aurally they definitely have "advanced" each time out. I don't even think that's debatable. Whether it hits that sweet spot in your gut or not is an entirely subjective thing.

But musically they always seem to grow, even if they don't quite congeal it all together as well as Lateralus feels. It's the #1 reason I can't wait for their next work. Lyrically... I'm hoping for more of a return to the older standards. Or more to the point, branching further outwards and hopefully hitting a new peak. But that's by Tool standards. Honestly, most bands don't interest me in the slightest lyrically and 10K Days still blows away 99% of what I listen to otherwise in that department. Oddly enough, Big Business is one of the only other groups I've found in a long time that actually interests me from a lyrical standpoint.

So much win.

I love 10,000 Days for the musical side of it--Jambi is one of Tool's greatest pieces, in my opinion. But the drop in quality regarding the lyrics is what disappoints me with the album. There are moments--"Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift his eyes to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here." from Right In Two, for example. But in my opinion, overall, the lyrics of 10,000 Days are nowhere comparable to those from their older albums especially. The water metaphors throughout Undertow continue throughout, tying it all together, bringing the listener under as well. But where 10,000 Days jumps forward in instrumental ability, it steps back when it comes to lyrics.

Maybe that's what it is - the older some of us have got, the more we've read. Whether it be poetry, lyrics, or otherwise, I think many of us found "10,000 DAYS" to be quite lacking in terms of what we've come to expect. Personally, as a fifteen year old masturbator, I thought the lyrics to "Stinkfist" were unreal. Now, not so much.

And what's changed? I, like many of us, have read more since the early albums. I think, and this is just an hypothesis, that the 'Nard hasn't really stayed up on our level. I mean, come on - he compared humans to monkeys on "10,000 DAYS". A wordsmith, he ain't.

I expect a lot from his lyrics, because he himself puts a lot of effort into them. So, we should be allowed to go, "You know what, it feels like you're not even trying."

Fuck, Jeff Martin writes better lyrics AT TIMES than the 'Nard does.

Fine, I just don't like the album. Was that unclear to anyone?
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I still unabashedly love Stinkfist's lyrics and find them powerful and effective. One of the best summations of addiction I've heard.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

joeypants said
I still unabashedly love Stinkfist's lyrics and find them powerful and effective. One of the best summations of addiction I've heard.

Yeah, same here.  It's right behind Hooch by Melvins.
Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

mahnigger.jpg to the above two posts.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
James
Fanboi

Post by James »

crow011 said

Maybe that's what it is - the older some of us have got, the more we've read. Whether it be poetry, lyrics, or otherwise, I think many of us found "10,000 DAYS" to be quite lacking in terms of what we've come to expect. Personally, as a fifteen year old masturbator, I thought the lyrics to "Stinkfist" were unreal. Now, not so much.

And what's changed? I, like many of us, have read more since the early albums. I think, and this is just an hypothesis, that the 'Nard hasn't really stayed up on our level. I mean, come on - he compared humans to monkeys on "10,000 DAYS". A wordsmith, he ain't.

I expect a lot from his lyrics, because he himself puts a lot of effort into them. So, we should be allowed to go, "You know what, it feels like you're not even trying."

Fuck, Jeff Martin writes better lyrics AT TIMES than the 'Nard does.

Fine, I just don't like the album. Was that unclear to anyone?

The problem lies in the fact that we saw at one point that he was one, he has that potential. But 10,000 Days just doesn't have that craftsmanship in it, it's really lacking. I can't imagine that he's worn out all interest in writing, he has put his time into other venues like the Arizona Foothills magazine. Some of the lyrics from Puscifer's work, if we're using timelines, could be expanded upon, but Puscifer doesn't lend itself to the same depth. If Tool's next album is a bunch of rambling about the slow growth of vines and wide desert plains, I won't mind. I just hope there is more said, because listening to Vicarious and then Right In Two it's the same message an hour later.

EDIT: I tried removing a good portion of the quote because it would be a pain having to scroll past them all every time and it screwed up crow's quote, sorry for the break in continuity.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I think Aenema and Lateralus are the lyrical peaks so far. Lateralus mostly, though Aenema isn't far behind. To me, 10K Days is roughly on par with Opiate (see how I'm slightly staying on topic?). Vicarious and the aforementioned parts of Right In Two are the only things on that album really that seem "less than" to me. Rosetta, The Pot, Jambi, Wings and Intension are just fine by my ears. Maynard is best when he's being at least a little oblique and not so on the nose. Least of ways when he's trying to be serious. I guess you could say Rosetta is "one the nose" but it's too fun for me to criticize in that way.
Intension
Fanboi

Post by Intension »

I disagree, I think 10,000 days has a lot to offer lyrically. There is a lot of depth, variety, and double even triple meanings which can keep you thinking and guessing, and enjoying a song for a long time. Sure, right in two isnt a complete original idea, but i love the lyrics and think he hit the nail on the head by putting it together the way he did. The ideas of the song, are very Tool, and powerful. Old idea, yes, but he made it a good story line, and a beautiful tune.

doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

I love what you guys mentioned about Reflection - the song is amazing and the big climatic moment at the end is the biggest payoff I have ever found in any song. I hope they play it in April.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

joeypants said
I think Aenema and Lateralus are the lyrical peaks so far. Lateralus mostly, though Aenema isn't far behind. To me, 10K Days is roughly on par with Opiate (see how I'm slightly staying on topic?). Vicarious and the aforementioned parts of Right In Two are the only things on that album really that seem "less than" to me. Rosetta, The Pot, Jambi, Wings and Intension are just fine by my ears. Maynard is best when he's being at least a little oblique and not so on the nose. Least of ways when he's trying to be serious. I guess you could say Rosetta is "one the nose" but it's too fun for me to criticize in that way.

^

SteveBobSteve
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

ToolUser said
Busty I was talking to kittaan. Read before you post you dull cunt.

You're an angry young man aren't ya? It's called a quote button mate, try using it when you're engaging in a yarn with more that one person & replying to them after a few posts have been made.. 

And even though I still dig the fuck out of 10,000 days, lyrically speaking, Lateralus is Maynards masterpiece. His lyrics on songs like Reflection & Lateralus are pretty bloody inspiring. 
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

If they play Reflection in Auckland I will probably implode
BellJH
Fanboi

Post by BellJH »

On the topic of lyrics, id say 10k actually sports some of maynards best. The lyrics for Jambi and Wings are outstanding. Really hope he continues in that direction. ri2 was terrible tho.

Big let down no bonus tracks on the opiate rerelease, but I guess that was pretty much expected seeing as it takes them over a year to write one song anyway
sublime5446
Fanboi

Post by sublime5446 »

Gwarden said
If they play Reflection in Auckland I will probably implode

I was literally just thinking this on the way to work yesterday.  If they ever play d/r/t or even just reflections and I can't be there I will lose all hope in humanity.  
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

I think the detail about this being "handcrafted" is a bit overstated. Unless there's some glass blowing going on...
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

NYHC81 said
I think the detail about this being "handcrafted" is a bit overstated. Unless there's some glass blowing going on...

I don't know about glass blowing, but they seem to be blowing smoke...
Ki77aan :twisted:
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

BellJH said
On the topic of lyrics, id say 10k actually sports some of maynards best. The lyrics for Jambi and Wings are outstanding. Really hope he continues in that direction. ri2 was terrible tho.

Big let down no bonus tracks on the opiate rerelease, but I guess that was pretty much expected seeing as it takes them over a year to write one song anyway

The lyrics for Wings Pt 2 are incredible. The way he dances with the English language here is pretty underrated imo. I remember when I heard this song before I knew that it was about it his mom. It moved me deeply, and still does. Imo, wings is the greatest song of all time. It's pretty much the reason why I fell in love with Tool, and played a prominent role in my darkest hour (a really fucked up shroom trip).
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
sublime5446
Fanboi

Post by sublime5446 »

Boo ya. I blow glass
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

NYHC81 said

I agree, but it probably doesn't need to be taken quite so literally as well.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Kittaan said

NYHC81 said

I don't know about glass blowing, but they seem to be blowing smoke...

haaaa....just noticed it.....
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy1975 said

NYHC81 said

I agree, but it probably doesn't need to be taken quite so literally as well.

walked away from my p.c. a few hours ago knowing you were going to write that. haha. yes but it is an overly descriptive adjective. it's not stone masonry, it's a new cover. handcrafted is overdone sales jargon. now I'll walk away from my p.c. knowing you will write "it is overdone sales jargon, but they are selling something.."

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Hotdog
Fanboi

Post by Hotdog »

Good to see all the new Opiate box sets will be signed. i will def be getting one. 
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

so i just had a thought regarding the 'golden tickets'........tickets are for movies , draws , dinners.....do you think maybe there is a draw or maybe a pass to a special screening of a secret tool project?
go taff!
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

No, it'll be something lame like concert tickets.

Backstage pass would be cool though.