Opiate 21st Anniversary Edition hits the printers

budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

whatever it is i'm excited as hell over this...i will do my best in aquiring at least one copy.
go taff!
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

budsyralli said
i have a thought….critique it to your usual self(selves?)……do you think this(21st anniversary opiate edition) is part of a big collectors boxset…do you think ‘undertow’ will get a re-work too? does paul get his cut? aenima?
Hellboy1975 Said:
On one hand I expect a precedent has been set, and we’ll see this happen on all their albums.

On the other hand perhaps Adam was just not as happy with the original design of the Opiate art (which was presumably a low budget exercise) and just fancies getting a new vision of the package out there.

As to Paul getting a cut, it would all depend on the contract he signed when he left the band. Presuming he didn’t sign away his right to royalties I expect he’d get some cash out of this.

I Say: I'll bet Paul still gets royalties and that they didn't cut him out of their lives or anything. I'll have to agree with a precedent being set and that we'll see this again. Adam is however a perfectionist so it's only probable that he was unhappy with something in the artwork.
I don't think this release is going to be so much about the artwork though. I really think something sonically special will come of this. When I went through audio engineering school our school administrator gave us "Dark Side of the Moon" mixed in quad in "Garageband & Logic" files as a graduation gift... 2005 was when I graduated... Little extra eggs like that would be fabulous. New tracks are always welcome in addition to video.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Less than two weeks from release and we still don't know what's going to be on it?

Darn.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I think we may already know everything that's going to be on this. As cool as new packaging might be I'd pass if it is solely that.
Hey! Denty!
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

It really wouldn't be worth the new artwork if that's all there was to it, not even a remaster or anything. Tool knows this; the artwork is just to spiff up the package and to be an extra bonus to the real prize (prizes?) inside.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Do we have a countdown timer?

We need a countdown timer dammit.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

ilikecheese said
Do we have a countdown timer?

We need a countdown timer dammit.

315 Hours and 22 minutes remaining.
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

@children
I hope you're right but I can't recall a band ever coming this close to a release (or even re-release) without giving more info than this.

The closer it gets the more I think that perhaps this is an all Adam project, all about the artwork.
Hey! Denty!
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

If it's anything other than an unreleased studio recording or two, it's a waste of money. How many times are you going to listen to a demo? And we've all heard their songs performed live hundreds of times. Re-releasing an album with new artwork alone is lame but I'll probably buy one anyway. I'm patiently waiting for Blair to give us more details on this "bonus-laden" Opiate re-release...
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Ravenpig said
@children
I hope you're right but I can't recall a band ever coming this close to a release (or even re-release) without giving more info than this.

The closer it gets the more I think that perhaps this is an all Adam project, all about the artwork.

TOOL will release a handcrafted, bonus-laden, limited edition package of their original debut EP, Opiate, on Mar. 26 to mark the 21st anniversary of the six-song release.

The anniversary edition is limited to 5,000 copies and features art direction by Adam Jones, illustrations by legendary artist Adi Granov and design packaging by Mackie Osborne, who has collaborated with TOOL on many albums including 10,000 Days, Lateralus and Salival as well as posters and merchandise.

The 5,000 copies will be broken down as 5 x 1,000 runs with each set featuring a variation of the exterior graphics and included bonus items which include a new stereoscopic image for fans to use with their glasses from the 10,000 Days packaging.

The packages will only be available via TOOL’s website (www.toolband.com) on Mar. 26 and there will be no pre-orders. A limit of three packages from each of the 5 x 1,000 versions will be in place. More details to be announced soon.

sounds like more than merely new artwork to me
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Nothing on that tells me "music". Again, I hope I'm wrong.
Hey! Denty!
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Did anyone else cut off their stereoscopic lenses and makes glasses out of them?

I did, but then again I'm the only 'true' tool fan I see these days
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig said

It is pretty ambiguous though, not sure why you're so quick to write off it as a non-musical bonus.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Tyson said
Did anyone else cut off their stereoscopic lenses and makes glasses out of them?

I made a monocle out of one of them. Classy as fuck. It's tough being a true Tool fan. We're a rare breed.

SteveBobSteve
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Ravenpig said

I never said music, i said prize; that could be anything, but i think there's definitely going to be more than just artwork. I'm hoping for at least a remaster...
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Tyson said

I actually kinda want to do this now.

Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said

Ravenpig said

It is pretty ambiguous though, not sure why you're so quick to write off it as a non-musical bonus.

TOOL will release a handcrafted, bonus-laden, limited edition package of their original debut EP, Opiate, on Mar. 26 to mark the 21st anniversary of the six-song release.

The 5,000 copies will be broken down as 5 x 1,000 runs with each set featuring a variation of the exterior graphics and included bonus items which include a new stereoscopic image for fans to use with their glasses from the 10,000 Days packaging.

Maybe because it says it right there in black-and-white?
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

snazzlefrass said

Tyson said

I made a monocle out of one of them. Classy as fuck. It's tough being a true Tool fan. We're a rare breed.

i popped the glass out and fucked the hole no grease

there

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

More of a light and dark grey really.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

crow011 said

hellboy1975 said

Ravenpig said

It even says "which include a new stereoscopic image" right after bonus items. 

I get that in the Tool world some things must be taken with a grain of salt and that we have to read between the lines most of the time, but I just don't see anything here. 

I think I should add that I am NOT against this release, but I just won't purchase if it's only new artwork.

All of these Opiate announcements have come from their FB page first (which I think Hellboy said Adam runs), which just adds to my "this is an Adam only" project theory.  I'd guess Danny and May Jay just said "ok" and that's the extent of their involvement.

AGAIN, I hope I'm wrong.
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Are you guys reading the same thing I am?  It clearly says things like "bonus items" (note the plural) and "which include" which implies that there is more than just stereoscopic pictures.  

Not trying to imply you are against the project or are wrong, just saying that there's plenty of leeway in the text of the press release to suggest the product will contain more than just artwork.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Ravenpig said

crow011 said

hellboy1975 said

Ravenpig said

It even says "which include a new stereoscopic image" right after bonus items. 

I get that in the Tool world some things must be taken with a grain of salt and that we have to read between the lines most of the time, but I just don't see anything here. 

I think I should add that I am NOT against this release, but I just won't purchase if it's only new artwork.

All of these Opiate announcements have come from their FB page first (which I think Hellboy said Adam runs), which just adds to my "this is an Adam only" project theory.  I'd guess Danny and May Jay just said "ok" and that's the extent of their involvement.

AGAIN, I hope I'm wrong.

And Justin just sat in the corner feeling left out.

Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Why would Justin have any say in a re-release of Opiate?
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Ravenpig said
Why would Justin have any say in a re-release of Opiate?

That's the point. 

Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Yea I realized how you meant that too late

@Hellboy

Fair enough, I just don't see it I guess.
Hey! Denty!