"I thought it was cool." Adam talks about Limp Bizkit (and Opiate)

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

A new interview with Adam Jones appeared on Spin today, in which he talked about the recording of Opiate, as well as the upcoming reissue:

What went through your mind when you listened to Opiate again?
A lot of things. I'm proud of what we did. We worked hard, and it's this little photograph or postcard from that time. It's like a time machine.

What songs stood out to you most?
The live tracks, "Cold and Ugly" and "Jerk-Off," which we don't play anymore. I kind of miss them. Something else that stood out were the themes of Opiate and the way all the songs lead to [the title track]. It's more the feeling of the record that hit me. It's hard to describe.

Hopefully we'll have something other than Opiate to talk about soon!

not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

while the masturbation-themed "Part of Me"

What the fuck?
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

i think he was 'just being nice'
go taff!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Oh boy here we go.

"Heard it once."

He was being nice.
Hey! Denty!
vuduuu
Bronco's Fan

Post by vuduuu »

That headline is Murdoch Press quality Hellboy.. almost like fishing for all the whingers to come out! I agree, he was being nice.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

vuduuu said
That headline is Murdoch Press quality Hellboy.. almost like fishing for all the whingers to come out! I agree, he was being nice.

Gotta do something to keep the click through rate on ads high.
vuduuu
Bronco's Fan

Post by vuduuu »

True! I support the get paid movement, carry on.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

wow how did you miss the best part of the interview!??!! "I'm calling March "March Madness" because I've been really trying to kick ass and focus on this thing and get it to a point where we're all happy." (AJ). I say hell yeah to that. oh, I almost forgot....Hellboy, I read your bio and see you are a father, does that help you deal with all of the children on this website?
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

NYHC81 said
wow how did you miss the best part of the interview!??!! "I'm calling March "March Madness" because I've been really trying to kick ass and focus on this thing and get it to a point where we're all happy." (AJ). I say hell yeah to that. oh, I almost forgot....Hellboy, I read your bio and see you are a father, does that help you deal with all of the children on this website?

He's talking about the opiate release you Joe Rogan loving pot head

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

NYHC81 said
wow how did you miss the best part of the interview!??!! "I'm calling March "March Madness" because I've been really trying to kick ass and focus on this thing and get it to a point where we're all happy." (AJ). I say hell yeah to that. oh, I almost forgot....

Like many of us here I have an immunity to any hype being generated by the band about the new album unless they have something a little more tangible to say.

Hellboy, I read your bio and see you are a father, does that help you deal with all of the children on this website?

I attempt to treat everyone here like adults.  Sadly some are more immature than others.  Being a father has given me much insight into that fact that controlling children is much easier than adults.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Tyson said

NYHC81 said

You sure about that? In the context of the interview, it looks to me like Adam is talking about writing the new album. The question asked is clearly about the new record. I think you owe NYHC an apology...
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

ya, Adam has been known to not be too negative about anything. its kinda his modo or something. if he really feels that way cool but i donno. haha
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

March madness sounds like getting a true direction with album while manyard is in town doing rehearsals.
grr915
Bronco's Fan

Post by grr915 »

Getting to a point "where there all happy" could be inferred to as a point where they are ready to get into the studio. As Danny has said in the past......there is only so much you can do with a song/album and you gotta find a point where everyone is happy and can accept themselves for how lame they are at that point. But who knows with this band, it could still be months until they are ready to get into the studio. Just gotta wait it out, nothing we can do about it.
ThatGuy
Bronco's Fan

Post by ThatGuy »

O yes there is something we can do: complain through this website. Studies have shown a correlation between the amount of whining online and the intended result being increased exponentially.
thirdeye42012
Bronco's Fan

Post by thirdeye42012 »

it sounds to me like there's been some tension in the band
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

thirdeye42012 said
it sounds to me like there's been some tension in the band

Given that it's been 7 years since 10k Days I'd say that's a given.  Tension ain't necessarily a bad thing though.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Danny mentioned in an interview once the tension involved during the making of 10k days.  At least they come back to a middle place.  
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

children said

Tyson said

NYHC81 said

You sure about that? In the context of the interview, it looks to me like Adam is talking about writing the new album. The question asked is clearly about the new record. I think you owe NYHC an apology...

Tyson made me take a second look, but I'm pretty sure he isn't talking about the Opiate release. I think it's the new album. I told my friends and fellow Tool fans back in early 2012 that June 2013 was my best guess for a release, the only rebuttal was that Tool doesn't release albums mid-summer. That's a pretty poor argument. I'm sticking with June, it's realistic factoring in Danny's breakdown of the time frame.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I'm sticking with June, it's realistic factoring in Danny's breakdown of the time frame.

I'm with Tyson on this one (on the pot head, not the focus of Adam's comment).  How much did you smoke today?  =p

But seriously, I think Danny had the best intentions predicting a sooner-than-later release (multiple times over the last few years), and he always believes it when he says it... it just isn't realistic given all the details and constraints.  They are much better served taking the current approach: "not sure when it will be finished, but we're taking our time to get it right".  We may not like it, but to me it's much better than setting an expectation that won't be met.  Under promise and over deliver is the way to go.
Ki77aan :twisted:
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

With the way this band writes, I'm sure it's usually more of a case where they've thought they were "close" many, many times now only to sit with what they had for a few days and one or multiple members reconvene and say, "we can do better."

Just go back and look at that reference to writing The Pot that I posted... well, somewhere on here recently. I think that's what BKGG was referring to as well. I'm sure Danny always had the best and purest intentions when he said that in the past. Cut the guy some slack.
ThatGuy
Bronco's Fan

Post by ThatGuy »

A little tension seems to be good for the band. They almost broke up before Lateralus and look at the work that came out of that. Butting heads inspires creative energy and gives them sound ground to work with. Maybe some of the songs will be Schismish. jah feel?
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I always liked Maynard's thoughts about Limp Bizkit:

"If the lunch-lady in high school hits on you, you appreciate the compliment, but you’re not really gonna start dating the lunch-lady, are ya?"

Don't mow your lawn
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Kittaan said

I'm sticking with June, it's realistic factoring in Danny's breakdown of the time frame.

I'm with Tyson on this one (on the pot head, not the focus of Adam's comment).  How much did you smoke today?  =p

But seriously, I think Danny had the best intentions predicting a sooner-than-later release (multiple times over the last few years), and he always believes it when he says it... it just isn't realistic given all the details and constraints.  They are much better served taking the current approach: "not sure when it will be finished, but we're taking our time to get it right".  We may not like it, but to me it's much better than setting an expectation that won't be met.  Under promise and over deliver is the way to go.

don't go tossing your stones around.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Danny is an optimist, that's all.  It's hardly the crime some here make it out to be.