Opiate Reissue: What we know!

rgardjr
My pain is just an excuse

Post by rgardjr »

Looks like the Version 5 is the most popular.  Between 50-60 left-all other versions still show more than 99 available when I add them into the shopping cart.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Have we got a price on this yet?

Would love to get my friend one . . .
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Sorry for doublepost, but is it really $150?

Just personally, if any TOOL fan has any balls inside them, they would say, "No".

Not because it's selective. Not because it has been released in a weak way (ONLY online): but because it's ludicrous.

"For the fans." Come on, guys. I'm a fan. I'm strapped for cash. I want in. (FOR EXAMPLE).

This is bullshit. I hope the next album awesome.

/me walks away

btw, unless the next album is the utter tits, this will be the defining moment when TOOL lost it.

I hope for both their sake and mine, that that isn't the truth.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
martin
Maynard Believer

Post by martin »

I remember when I pre-ordered Aenima they gave me a copy of Opiate, a huge poster and some stickers.

17 years later I have to pay for the lube when they fuck me in the arse. The marketing sure has changed.

Think I will give this one a miss. Shame.
TOOLfanboy
Maynard Believer

Post by TOOLfanboy »

They are going for $150. Released at 10:00 EST I think. They still aren't sold out, which is surprising. Looks like each type is a different color. I saw black, green, purple, gray, and something else. 

I went ahead and got 2. 1 for myself and 1 for my brother for when he returns from Afghanistan. Expensive, but I have the money and it's something I'll always hold on to. Fuck the haters.

I BETTER GET A GOLDEN TICKET.
Unca

Post by Unca »

couldn't pull the trigger on 150.00, had it in cart but thought that seems like a waste of mula......
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

If there were un-signed versions for like $40 or something, I would've jumped on that because the packaging and all DOES look really cool. But they passed my previously undefined price-point, apparently. Ha. No dice.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Unca said
couldn't pull the trigger on 150.00, had it in cart but thought that seems like a waste of mula......

I like this guy.

I was considering purchasing it, considering it was supposed to be a "thank you" to the fans.

As soon as I saw the price I was outta there faster than Maynard at the end of a Tool concert.

SteveBobSteve
adrian
Maynard Believer

Post by adrian »

Figured it out...click on your TA username at the top of the screen, then click EDIT SETTINGS, then click ACCOUNT. From there you can change your address (don't forget to put in your TA password at the top) and it will show up correctly in the old Bazaar cart.
azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

Hope I win the powerball lotto today! So think they'll make their money back from printing now@$750,000 if/when all sell? Well fuck you buddy spend more money...yea I'll buy one more on the fence now for all 5 though....
adrian
Maynard Believer

Post by adrian »

Yep. Just can't hit the button...
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

I wonder if the remainder of these 2,000 set aside for TA will remain exclusive or if they'll put them all up on the 26th.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

snazzlefrass said

Unca said

I like this guy.

I was considering purchasing it, considering it was supposed to be a "thank you" to the fans.

As soon as I saw the price I was outta there faster than Maynard at the end of a Tool concert.

^ roflzlalalalmaohahahahahaha you crazy bastard I just literally spit my drink out!

rgardjr
My pain is just an excuse

Post by rgardjr »

Pricing of these things is a tough one.  I can see both sides of this one.  If it hadn't been presented as a "gift to the fans" I really wouldn't have any problem at all with the $150.  The other side of the coin here is if they price them at $25 then you'll have a bunch of people buying them just to resell them on Ebay.  I think the signed posters were around $100-$125 on recent tours.  Go look at Ebay and see how many of these you see for under $300 now.  I think the members of the band deserve to make the money on their merchandise-not some reseller on Ebay.  Maybe the $150 price tag is too much and they won't be able to sell them all-I guess we can wait and see.  Looking at the five different copies-do you think they might correspond to the color of each band members signature?  Any chance Paul D'amour got to sign these too?  Looks like there are less than 35 Version 5 available through TA ...
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger

Post by snazzlefrass »

UndKeineEier said
Does anybody else think this is a little fucked?  They haven't released a price or shown any of the artwork yet, they haven't posted the interviews, and there's doing a limited release in just a few hours.  Price is one thing, but they really should've shown off the artwork, I mean that's what people are paying for.  If there were like bonus tracks it would be one thing, but when the only thing you're really offering is artwork it would be cool if you could show it off before putting it up for sale.  Now obviously there's going to be a chance later on as well, and the people picking these up today would probably have bought them regardless.  I just think that it would've been nice to get a chance to review the artwork before being asked to spend an unknown amount of money on it, especially since it's "for the fans." 

I don't know.  I'm probably making this a bigger deal then it actually is (especially since I'm not planning on picking one up), but I was just thinking that there was probably a smoother way to do this. 

Anyway good luck to anyone trying to pick one up today.  Hope it goes smoothly and you don't lose out to an asshole who's going to be reselling it later on eBay.

I think the reason they didn't show the artwork before is to keep people guessing. If they showed the artwork before, most people would probably not buy it because they didn't see the justification for the purchase, or because they are okay with a digital version of the artwork. Plus, they'd be getting the art for free basically, and Tool wouldn't make a dolla out of them.

For the price, I'm sure Tool felt they needed to wait until it was actually for sale for one sole reason:

To make people quickly decide whether they would purchase or not. If the price (being as outrageous as it is IMO) was given before the sale, people would have time to consider the price and what they are getting. I'm certain they wouldn't sell as much as they probably are. I assume people would be in a hurry to purchase the product since they know hundreds of people are doing the same.

I could be wrong, those are my thoughts.

SteveBobSteve
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Get the fuck outta here 
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger

Post by snazzlefrass »

mogeffingmog said

snazzlefrass said

Unca said

I like this guy.

^ roflzlalalalmaohahahahahaha you crazy bastard I just literally spit my drink out!

I try.

SteveBobSteve
ToolFanFromWayBack
Maynard Believer

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

Pulled the trigger on #4.  I was going to get all 5 until I saw the price... Holy shit.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I get the price point to an extent. If I didn't have anything signed by them, I might have considered it. As it is, I have two signed tour posters so that aspect doesn't really appeal to me enough to shell out that much. $100? Might have considered it.
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

I had already set a limit in my head for how much I'd pay for this.... They priced it $75 over that limit. Sorry TOOL but this isn't for fans it's for collectors only. It's official... this is a gouge... If I bought it I would only open it with hopes of getting the golden ticket... This will hold value later on but... meh... Still not worth $150 to me.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger

Post by snazzlefrass »

I wonder if we'll ever find out what that golden ticket is for. Slim chance the recipient will be a fourtheye member, but hey, once again time will tell.
SteveBobSteve
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

@adrian I don't blame you for not being able to pull the trigger. This is a phat money grab for TOOL and I'm kind of disappointed in them. "For the fans"... Bullshit... finally losing my patience... thought it would never happen.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Well I wasn't gonna buy this even if it was $50 so I don't care about the price.  I'm hoping that at $150 it'll keep away those hoping to make a quick profit leaving the more "hardcore" Tool fans an easier chance to get this. 

All I'm going to say about the price is if people are willing to pay $100 - $125 for a signed concert poster then this shouldn't be a big surprise.

I gotta say, the new artwork is cool.
Hey! Denty!
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

Buy concert tickets with your $150.
Buy an instrument with your $150.
Buy a hooker with your $150.
Buy a sex toy with your $150.
Buy a bag of shrooms with your $150.
Buy a pet with your $150.
Buy a phone with your $150.
Buy something that's not going to sit on the shelf and collect dust with your $150.
Buy you and a bunch of friends pizza and beer with your $150.
All of these things will give you better memories and leave your ass far less sore than spending $150 on Opiate... let's not forget that's all this is... Yay... they signed it...
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

You're letting the man win as he sips on his Coke and you sip on your Pepsi.