Danny and Adam Opiate interviews with Blair online

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

There hasn't been an announcement, but several Fourtheye readers have notified me that both Adam's and Danny's interview with Blair have been published. The one with Adam appears in the last newsletter on Toolband. It's largely a reprint of what has already been talked about in other interviews.

Danny's, found on his website, is a little more interesting, and he talks about his work on Opiate and hints at some of the esoteric meanings behind the release.

doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Oh fuck off Danny! That sounded more like a job interview...
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Adam already said they missed the boat on the 20th anniversary release.  
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

Adam's interview seemed a bit .... recycled to me? Danny's interview was interesting. I usually like hearing what these guys have to say and in this case, Danny kept my interest with his responses.

I'm glad all of the Opiate re-releases sold out and we don't have to discuss it anymore. Back to the waiting game now I guess...

Trent posted an instagram picture of HTDA rehearsing,19 days until I see them in Monterey (muh home town). NIN is on the verge of breaking loose again and YeahYeahYeahs drop a new album in 18 days. Maybe Maynard can take a break from his pussy fur and coordinate spending time with Billy Howerdel? We need a new full length APC album.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Zwerewolf said
Adam's interview seemed a bit .... recycled to me? Danny's interview was interesting. I usually like hearing what these guys have to say and in this case, Danny kept my interest with his responses.

I'm glad all of the Opiate re-releases sold out and we don't have to discuss it anymore. Back to the waiting game now I guess...

Trent posted an instagram picture of HTDA rehearsing,19 days until I see them in Monterey (muh home town). NIN is on the verge of breaking loose again and YeahYeahYeahs drop a new album in 18 days. Maybe Maynard can take a break from his pussy fur and coordinate spending time with Billy Howerdel? We need a new full length APC album.

I really wouldn't mind that at all.

The first one and "THIRTEENTH STEP" bring amazing memories to mind. And I still listen to them both, because they're really, REALLY good.

I'm also a huge PUSCIFER fan, believe it or not - but I've always preferred APC (were I to throw on some non-TOOL 'Nard love).
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

crow011
March 30, 2013 at 11:15 am
Zwerewolf said
Adam’s interview seemed a bit …. recycled to me? Danny’s interview was interesting. I usually like hearing what these guys have to say and in this case, Danny kept my interest with his responses.

I’m glad all of the Opiate re-releases sold out and we don’t have to discuss it anymore. Back to the waiting game now I guess…

I really wouldn’t mind that at all.

The first one and “THIRTEENTH STEP” bring amazing memories to mind. And I still listen to them both, because they’re really, REALLY good.

I’m also a huge PUSCIFER fan, believe it or not – but I’ve always preferred APC (were I to throw on some non-TOOL ‘Nard love).

@CROW011
I'd really like to hear another APC album for sure. So serene in contrast to most of TOOL yet both are orchestrated so beautifully and timelessly that you can seriously listen to them for years and years and they always seem new and with the time.

Mer de Noms is definitely my fav APC album and when they did the album a night tour that's the one I went to see. They were brilliant live aside from Matt messing up the bass lines every time he turned around but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt... still prefer to see them with TWIGGY.

Haven't heard anything from Howerdel in while... I wonder when the new Ashes Divide is coming out?
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Zwerewolf said
crow011
March 30, 2013 at 11:15 am
Zwerewolf said
Adam’s interview seemed a bit …. recycled to me? Danny’s interview was interesting. I usually like hearing what these guys have to say and in this case, Danny kept my interest with his responses.

I’m glad all of the Opiate re-releases sold out and we don’t have to discuss it anymore. Back to the waiting game now I guess…

I really wouldn’t mind that at all.

The first one and “THIRTEENTH STEP” bring amazing memories to mind. And I still listen to them both, because they’re really, REALLY good.

I’m also a huge PUSCIFER fan, believe it or not – but I’ve always preferred APC (were I to throw on some non-TOOL ‘Nard love).

@CROW011
I'd really like to hear another APC album for sure. So serene in contrast to most of TOOL yet both are orchestrated so beautifully and timelessly that you can seriously listen to them for years and years and they always seem new and with the time.

Mer de Noms is definitely my fav APC album and when they did the album a night tour that's the one I went to see. They were brilliant live aside from Matt messing up the bass lines every time he turned around but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt... still prefer to see them with TWIGGY.

Haven't heard anything from Howerdel in while... I wonder when the new Ashes Divide is coming out?

eMOTIVe is great too. It's just different and less accessible than APC's previous works.

I absolutely love Keep Telling Myself It's Alright. That is such a good fucking album. I can't wait to hear the next Ashes Divide release.
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

I don't really like eMotiv or aMotion... well... there are some gems there but overall their full length true releases are so amazing.

As for Ashes Divide, Billy's first album was amazing and I'm ready for the next. He's been working on it for a long time. There's a really good interview with Billy and Matt Pinfield (in Billy's home) and he said, I'm probably not remembering correctly, that I think Danny's drum tech told him he needed to give his own music a shot? I can't remember exactly who told him to branch out but... shortly after we had APC... thanks to whomever it was that told him to make an attempt at writing.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

eMOTIVe was more of an experiment i think. I never used to like it much, but i gave it the benefit of the doubt and kept listening and found that it is an amazing album. In my opinion, instrumentally, it is on the same level as the first two albums. The lyrics are the only setback for me, and that's just because they were taken from other songs. It is not like any other cover album since the lyrics are the only unoriginal part of the songs, except for a "Passive" and "Counting Bodies". The whole album is a sort of homage to world peace which i guess makes it a concept album. Of course Mer de Noms and Thirteenth Step are classics, but i wouldn't be so quick to dismiss eMOTIVe.

aMOTION has great remixes and that's all there really is to that album.
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

Yeah I tried eMotive and aMotion... I think the only time it really appealed to me was when I was completely engulfed in a quarter ounce of shrooms... It mainly intrigued me at that moment because I had my macbook pro hooked up to my sound system and the macbook pro and album covers looked amazing... once we turned on the "JELLY" visualizer it was over for everyone haha.
You probably already know this, "Passive" and "Potions" are Tapeworm songs which I think is cool that Maynard found a few songs he thought were worth the effort from that "failed" project. At least a few of their songs got to see the light of day (I like both of them). I'm sure with all those massive ego's put together it was hard to settle on anything.
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

All the songs sound the same from 'Ashes Divide.' APC was up there with Tool in my eyes (1st and 2nd album-not the remix crap). Someone from the outside needs to critice the music and that was Maynard's job in APC - reason why 'Ashes Divide' sounds so one dimensional.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Wow. I kind of expected more lengthy interviews. Jeez Tool's management must have been ignoring Blair's calls. Ah well.
SteveBobSteve
sublime5446
Fanboi

Post by sublime5446 »

Anyone feel like posting link straight to the article? Danny's home page won't  load for me
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Good luck reading it.

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

sublime5446 said
Anyone feel like posting link straight to the article? Danny's home page won't  load for me

Unfortunately Danny's website is poorly designed clusterfuck of Flash, so no direct link is possible.  Thanks to Kat for the screenshot, which is about as good as you'll get (barring someone bothering to type the whole thing out).
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

badkittygothgirl said
Good luck reading it.

thanks for that. his website provokes epileptic seizures.

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

So my prediction is that Undertow will be a 23rd anniversary.
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

Pretty lame interview.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

^ Agreed.  A continuation of the status quo with Tool.  Underwhelming comes to mind.  Everything about Tool at the moment is underwhelming.
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

@mogeffingmog

please share with the group anything you do that is Overwhelmingly awesome? Impress us with your adventurous and non-boring life.....please.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Fuck it. Not gonna junk up another thread.  Both interviews sucked.  Hopefully some legitimately decent news shows up in the next newsletter.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

The Danny interview was very interesting. Even if it goes way over your head, you have to admit that what he is saying arouses some curiosity.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

children said
The Danny interview was very interesting. Even if it goes way over your head, you have to admit that what he is saying arouses some curiosity.

Uh lemme see, Religion is inept and antiquated.  Agreed.  Fairly straight forward.  I am entirely certain that there is no topic that Tool, collectively or individually, could discuss that would "go over my head" on any level.

snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

DRURY said
@mogeffingmog

please share with the group anything you do that is Overwhelmingly awesome? Impress us with your adventurous and non-boring life.....please.

This isn't a Mog thread. It's a Danny, and therefore Tool, thread. He had an opinion. You don't agree with it. Move on.

SteveBobSteve
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

@snazzlefrass

You just set and stepped in your own retard-trap. Good goin'.