Danny to debut new synth at Australian shows

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Crow and Badkittygothgirl informed me this afternoon Danny appears to be using a new synth on the coming Tool tour:

Update: Part 2 of the video has arrived and without further ado:

From the video's description:

This is the Plan B Toolbox Modular Synthesizer, built for Danny Carey of Tool which will make it's public debut with Tool on Saturday, April 27 at the Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne, Australia - replacing the iconic Synthi AKS Danny has been using for nine years. This was filmed in Danny's studio just before it was packed into it's road case for the trip. Instrumentation of the synth is as follows:

Row 1:

Subcon/Plan B Model 15 VCO
Plan B Model 15 VCO (x2)
Plan B Model 39 Wave Splicer
Subcon/Plan B Model 37 Utility VCO/LFO
Plan B Model 9 Mixer
Plan B Model 7 ELF Panner
Output module (power) outputs/levels , light

Row 2:

Intelligel Quantizer
Intellijel microfold
Plan B Model 10 Envelope Generator (x2)
Plan B Model 12 Vactrol Filter
Plan B Model 11 Evil Twin Bandpass Filter
Plan B Model 13 Dual Timbral Gates
Plan B Model 25 Multi-Tasking Audio Processor (attenuator/waveshaper, VC, Ring Modulator)

Row 3:

ADDAC Integrator
Plan B Model 23 Analog Shift Register
Plan B Model 28 Programmable Tap Clock
Plan B Model 14 Dual Voltage Processor/Crossfader
Plan B Model 26 Multi-Tasking Control Processor (boolean gates, voltage mirror, portemento)
Plan B Model 24 Heisenberg Generator (slopped and arbitrary random voltage generators)
Plan B Model 21C Mini Milton Sequencer

Row 4:

Make Noise Phonogene
Make Noise Echophon
Intellijel Korgmatrom FIlter
Plan B Model 10 Envelope Generator
Plan B Model 21 Buffered Multiple

http://www.ear-group.net

Case built by Chas Smith

Looking forward to the various bleeps and bloops that it will emit come showtime...
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

The chance of hearing at least a new segue just became a lot more likely . . .
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

sounds awesome
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

sounds like R2D2 just snorted some of Walt's fine blue meth. Yep I would say where going to be privy to some new 'stuff'
ThatGuy
Bronco's Fan

Post by ThatGuy »

My pants just got a lot tighter....Jealous of those of you who are Down Under who get to see this beast in action. Enjoy!!!!!
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

I'll be there on Saturday night but I'm not that excited. Big deal, he got a new piece of equipment. At most, there will be some experimental 7 minute segue while Adam, Maynard and Justin have a break before doing Lateralus and maybe Aenima to finish the show. Other than that, we might get a minute or two of trippy interludes between songs.

I would gladly trade it all for an extra song old or new (very little chance)...
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

mattw said
I'll be there on Saturday night but I'm not that excited. Big deal, he got a new piece of equipment. At most, there will be some experimental 7 minute segue while Adam, Maynard and Justin have a break before doing Lateralus and maybe Aenima to finish the show. Other than that, we might get a minute or two of trippy interludes between songs.

I would gladly trade it all for an extra song old or new (very little chance)...

Ha yep that sounds like the standard Melbourne enthusiasm I'm starting to get accustomed to at recent gigs over here
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

^I'm from Sydney. Regardless, I'm definitely not taking the show for granted - I just think we get too worked up about 'potential' new material. It's been 7 years since 10,000 Days came out but this will be Tool's third visit here. Saturday will be my 10th show but I guess I'm getting tired of waiting between albums, that's all. New albums every 4 or 5 years would be cool but 6 or 7 years? I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old and cynical...
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

Of the ten new songs they have written, I hope they play at least one of them on Saturday...
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

mattw said
^I'm from Sydney. Regardless, I'm definitely not taking the show for granted - I just think we get too worked up about 'potential' new material. It's been 7 years since 10,000 Days came out but this will be Tool's third visit here. Saturday will be my 10th show but I guess I'm getting tired of waiting between albums, that's all. New albums every 4 or 5 years would be cool but 6 or 7 years? I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old and cynical...

I don't think anyone is getting too worked up about new material, I just prefer to have a positive mindset about these announcements than bitch and moan about the same old shit like the majority of people on this site do. Great, you've seen 9 other tool shows, some people (like myself) haven't caught these guys live for over a decade and are really looking forward to the show/s. I don't think getting old goes hand in hand with being cynical, it's just about seeing the glass half full...of rum...then sculling that rum and getting on with it.

I hope you enjoy the show regardless! 
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

264zn said

mattw said

Ha yep that sounds like the standard Melbourne enthusiasm I'm starting to get accustomed to at recent gigs over here

+infinity... um, I got's me a ticket... now I'm gonna just sit here quietly and wait for you to do something and maybe politely clap between sighs... then tomorrow I can tell everyone I was there...
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

petemasterpete said

264zn said

mattw said

+infinity... um, I got's me a ticket... now I'm gonna just sit here quietly and wait for you to do something and maybe politely clap between sighs... then tomorrow I can tell everyone I was there...

Haha I'll be easy to spot then, I will be the only guy enjoying himself and not updating facebook with my whereabouts.
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

Part 2 is layered better. The case is cool... unsure about the Pizza Hut towel.
demmons
Maynard Believer

Post by demmons »

There is a part 2 on that youtube account.
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

Far out. Hope someone gets some good audio!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

To me, the segues have become an integral part of the live Tool experience and I'd hate to have a show without them (as good as Bonnaroo was, I sorely missed the segues). Also as they require very little effort compared to the actual songs, I'd rather they just kept them and still added another song or two rather than swap segues out for songs.
bigboy55693
Geacon

Post by bigboy55693 »

Don't understand how all those knobs and such work, but they do make interesting sounds.

I do like the milling/engineering of the case though.  It looks like aluminum that has been CNC'd. Pretty "rad" as DC says.
aMAnAPlAnACaNalPaNamA
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

Did they use big enough screws on that thing?
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

toolphishdhs said

joeypants said
To me, the segues have become an integral part of the live Tool experience and I'd hate to have a show without them (as good as Bonnaroo was, I sorely missed the segues). Also as they require very little effort compared to the actual songs, I'd rather they just kept them and still added another song or two rather than swap segues out for songs.

I agree totally on this. I doubt that synth will be doing anything more than a "new" intermission. Other than the best version of Lateralus ever played, Bonnaroo was lacking in flow and didnt seem as much like an actual Tool show. Duluth a week or so earlier was a far better show. Bonnaroo will always have the best Lateralus EVER, and the Pot, though.

I think the new synth could be cool but i still do not think any new songs are going to be played on the mini tour. I will go on record that they play opiate or cold and ugly at least once. 

Yeah. It's one of the best Lateralus performances I've seen (although on a personal level I have others that top it). Also, Flood that night was monstrous. I believe that was the first time they busted it out after all that time. "This song is dedicated to Deputy Sheriff David Cross."

Our synth player is going to have major issues once he sees this. All he needs is an excuse to start going after a modular synth.
Intension
Fanboi

Post by Intension »

Youtube video of these bonnaroo performances you speak of? Much obliged.

gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

Intension said
Youtube video of these bonnaroo performances you speak of? Much obliged.

I just watched this for the first time. Damn was it good. Lmfao@ Maynard grabbing Tom's ass.

"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

i dont know most of what all that gear means but i know what those 'subcon' things are. that would be Cevin Key from Skinny Puppys modules that he built a few months or so ago and was selling. Martin Gore from Depeche Mode bought some of his gear and a few other people i cant remember that are bigger names kinda. Danny is buddys with Cevin so its def no suprise hes in on the fun! skinny puppy is awesome btw!
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

Skinny Puppy is awesome and Cevin is most talented... I'd like to see them tour again. Still kicking myself in the ass for not going to see them in Frisco on Halloween a few years back. I just couldn't make it though...