Danny & Maynard speak to Rip It Up NZ

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

There was a flurry of interviews with Tool earlier this year, and we were promised ones with Danny and Maynard via New Zealand's Rip It Up magazine. Finally those interviews have appeared on line for your reading pleasure. Here's an excerpt:

You probably get sick of questions about how the record’s going, but – I mean you’re in a studio making new material, then you’re preparing to tour with older stuff – how does all that sync up in your brain?
We are really just in a rehearsal space at this point, we never really get into a proper studio until everything is completely written, then we book time and knock out the recording process as quickly as possible. So we’re still like in the writing mode. So we’re in the rehearsal space here, so we start our rehearsals playing through the old songs to get the cobwebs out of those: we have a gig coming up, then we start working on the new things. So that works out OK, that way.

I read in a recent interview that you’re working on, I guess, the “Lateralus” of this album – your big song that’s going to define the whole record – how’s that coming?
Um: really good. I mean we’re still – believe it or not! – still working on it [laughter] – it’s like an ever-evolving thing, it’s probably going to turn into a thing that’s like, uh, a big trilogy type of feel to it, sort of life, just like Disposition and Intension and Triad, like on the Lateralus record or something. It will probably be over a 20-minute piece when it’s all finished, so it will be a good part of the record. We’re dealing with it in sections, but it’s coming together really well, we’re having lots of fun working on it, that’s for sure.

Interesting interviews, though it doesn't really cover much we haven't already read.

Chimichanga
Maynard Believer

Post by Chimichanga »

You learn something new everydaY, I had no idea Intension was on Lateralus. Pretty neat to know it was apart of that epic trilogy.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Chimichanga said
You learn something new everydaY, I had no idea Intension was on Lateralus. Pretty neat to know it was apart of that epic trilogy.

Haha, thanks for pointing that out!  Maybe everything else on 10k Days really was a decoy...
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

...toes the line with MJK and tickles his Pusicfer, presses DC for decent info - fairly clever. David Farrier has quite a few good video/print interviews with the guys.
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

Ah, Jakob just announced they are supporting the 2 AKL gigs - these guys are awesome. Saw them in MEL in 2011 when Justin and Adam came on stage and joined in. Make the effort to see them if you're going... maybe it'll happen again - good fun.
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

Excellent news. A house DJ just doesn't have the same vibe...
Davvda
My pain is just an excuse

Post by Davvda »

I read "Disposition, Intension and Triad" in another interview aswell so maybe Danny just doesn't know their discography that well.
deadmoney
Maynard Believer

Post by deadmoney »