Tool June 2013 newsletter released

Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

To a lot of those "fans," it really doesn't matter if TOOL is doing something for the money or not. As long as the band does exactly what the fans want them to do, they are satisfied.

We won't hear a single person legitimately complain if TOOL actually releases a Salival II, and especially not for the possibility (high probability) that TOOL might be releasing it for the money.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Casey Tatum said
To a lot of those "fans," it really doesn't matter if TOOL is doing something for the money or not. As long as the band does exactly what the fans want them to do, they are satisfied.

It doesn't bother me if the band are in it for the money or not (I don't think they'd still be together if they were not artistically interested though), but it would bother me if they do exactly what the fans want them to do.  

Luckily there's little evidence of that so far...

264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

hellboy1975 said

Casey Tatum said

It doesn't bother me if the band are in it for the money or not (I don't think they'd still be together if they were not artistically interested though), but it would bother me if they do exactly what the fans want them to do.  

I dunno, we all want them to produce a new album that tops all others...so they're not releasing anything. Perhaps they should do what we don't want; another '10k days' album, and we could have had it last year!

Rambling aside (queue more rambling) Salival Part II would kick some serious ass right about now and would be a great way to get the pot video, some live audio, and a few covers off their chest. 
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

At the meet & greet we were at someone asked Adam Jones "Why do you guys take so long to make albums" to which Adam smiled and replied "Because we can". He then said they have got about 8 to 10 songs or "pieces" already and maybe "15 pieces of music" altogether. I've posted this before somewhere but he shrugged his shoulders when he said "it might come out this year" but they were "still working on it". He also said he was "really jealous" of us as fans as we only see the final product of something that they have been working on for months/years. He's really envious of our complete blank slate going in to experience a brand new album (I found all of this amusing given how much I would love to hear even part of a new song with him holding a guitar right in front of us).

Adam also said he doesn't know how many songs will end up on the album and none have any fixed names right now, only working titles. He also said each day they jam he records everything and on his way home he listens to everything they did that day. On his drive back to work the next day, he listens to a "20 minute mix tape" of all the bits he liked from the day before. This then gets cut down to 15 minutes or 10 minutes etc. the more he listens.

One last thing I thought was funny was that he said he really didn't like the riff that Justin first brought in for Jambi. Adam said he thought Justin's riff was really tacky but then they explored lots of stuff with it and now the song is one of their favourites. And apparently Justin always starts 46 & 2 too slow so that requires Adam to play his part a little faster when he starts up in the song. He said it always pisses him off that Justin plays it just a little slower than expected.

That's all I have for now. Salival part 2 would be cool...
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

hellboy1975 said

Casey Tatum said

Yes, exactly. The fans shouldn't care if the band does something for the money. Haven't they earned the right to do so anyway?

My point is that certain people only bring up the "cash grab" argument when TOOL is doing something unsatisfactory for money, but when TOOL attempts to make money off something that satisfies their fans, you hear no complaints whatsoever.

TOOL doesn't do anything to please their fans, and that pisses off a large portion of them. A lot of their fans think that what they want matters, when it doesn't AT ALL.

All that matters is what the band wants to do with their music, and we should be satisfied with that...
cammy82
Maynard Believer

Post by cammy82 »

For those who have delved into the land of the tweeting

Would be worth noting Adam recently posted a photo of DC titled
"The Sentinel - Barry McCockener"

I like these newsletters from Blair

Haters gonna be negative fuckwits always
just ignore them
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

cammy82 said

I think Barry's a mate of Busty, ain't he?
Ki77aan :twisted:
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Kittaan said

cammy82 said

Hey Kittaan how the fuck are ya buddy?  So for shits and giggles I went over all six pages in this thread and I didn't see any anti-Tool negativity at all.  But for some strange reason, I keep seeing people calling out the haters and making long winded posts trying to justify why Tool hasn't released an album in over 7 years.  Tool fans are fucking weird.  Hell some of em are borderline delusional.  I mean I could literally blow this thread apart with one strategically timed rant.  But I won't, because, well honestly, I just don't give a fuck about Tool anymore.  Someone really does need to do a proper study on Tool fans though.  Maybe a Kickstarter campaign?  Food for thought buddy.  Jesus loves ya, and so do I 
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

^You give a fuck about Tool - why else would you post things on Fourtheye?

I don't try to justify their prolonged absence from recording but merely explain exactly what was told to me in person by Adam Jones. Personally, it pisses me off that they have taken so long and I think they are lazy - I really do. It will be 8 years between albums by the time their next one comes out but I no longer let it bother me like it did between Lateralus and 10,000 Days. Touring Australia three different times for the one album (07, 11 & 13) seems a bit much but I've come to accept they do whatever they want and they aren't too fussed about what some diehard fans want etc.

If we want a new album by May 2014 their track record says they should start recording soon. 10,000 Days was recorded throughout August 2005, they did promotional stuff in February 2006 (the damn 'listening party' was 500m from where I work but I obviously didn't know at the time), Vicarious leaked in mid-April, the whole album leaked late April and was officially released May 2, 2006.

Just hope they record something (anything) sometime this year rather than say "we are still writing"...
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

mattw said

Because Fourtheye is one of the better general music sites around.

As for the rest tl;dr - assume it was something about Tool and the new album yada yada - good luck with that
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

^Fourtheye is one of the best general music sites? Cool. Good work Hellboy! This place has always seemed up-to-date on a lot of things, not just music.

Yeah it was some stuff about a new album but the thread is 'Tool-June-2013-Newsletter' which concerned their new album stuff so please forgive me. It's 2am and the cricket is kinda flat - call it wishful thinking on my behalf
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

You don't have to admit your love Mog. Anyone paying half-attention knows About your moist Tool g-string. 
also, Avatar!
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Just about as tiring listening to you dismiss them, as it is listening to everyone defending their "artistic-expression"
also, Avatar!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Yo Moggie.  I think we are all pretty much inured to the laziness of Tool at this point.  I'm pretty sure we'll get a new album, but I almost don't even care when anymore.  It was driving me crazy, but how much of that shit can you take?

If we were all just here for the Tool news, it would be nothing but tumbleweeds at this point.
Ki77aan :twisted:
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

@Trilobyte - Thanks.  That was quick

@Kittaan - Honestly stopped caring awhile ago.  Way too much good music out there.  Just had a "sarcastic ass" itch I had to scratch.  Not the kind of itch you can ignore.  It's like Tyson leaving a hanging curve ball.  I know how much you enjoy that
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

In all honesty, I don't think I've ever cared when the next album comes out.  Like ever cared.  I mean, shits out of my control so why fret at all, ever, about it?

Mog's right about this site in general though.  If it wasn't for here there's probably a fair amount of music/bands/groups that I'da never checked out and gotten into.
I like to poop naked.
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

i can't wait for new music from the band..for me their music is absolutely amazing..the videos are wild.....and i do believe that all 4 members are very intune with what they have going on as a whole..you can hear it in the music...10000days is really fuckin great with a good set of headphones.....just close your eyes lay back and listen.

what a fun newsletter...gets everyone involved (except those with homegrown cucumbers in their ass)

off topic but did anyone hear 'kayla' on the boneyard(ozzy's channel) yesterday say that 'nickelback was up their with 'ac/dc and scorpions?..  whats your views on that comparison

go taff!
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Kittaan said

cammy82 said

Yeah me & Bazza go way back.. 

As to anyone that believes that the next newsletter will offer much deep insight into the answers..

trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

That they all 3 could blow me eternally. I'd agree they all share the same regurgitated faux-rock shit hole.
also, Avatar!
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

^^^nice

go taff!
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Mog of the Architect said

mattw said

Because Fourtheye is one of the better general music sites around.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, recycled djent band #5, must listen!

Scale the vomit album of the tears!

Mysugar recording a new album with studio footage, wow, look at that triplet, amazing!
aenimal
Fanboi

Post by aenimal »

you think blair might have dropped a hint as to the producer of their next album or something? -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RICH

Just because you're down in San Diego tonight, don't think that you've escaped a huge one. The loft is a steel trap... and it's only a matter of time before you step into it.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

^If so he's worked for a few bands: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garth_Richardson

RATM, Melvins, Mudvayne, Shihad, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Taylor Swift, Nickelback...

Some heavy stuff there