Danny updates us on the next Tool album

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Loudwire has a chat with Danny recently, mainly about Volto! (that part of the interview is yet to be released) however they did canvass him about the next Tool album, and the chances of it coming out in 2013:

“It’s still the three of us right now and four of us it will be soon, you know, just working on all our parts and working on our compositions together,” Carey says, referring to Keenan’s current absence from the recording sessions. “Stylistically, we’re trying to push things in different ways, but it always comes out sounding like Tool no matter what we’re trying to do. We’re working everyday on it and it’s going really well, so I’m hoping we’ll get into the studio by the end of the year.”

When we asked about a possible 2013 release date for the album, Carey responded, “I doubt it. Right now, since we haven’t started tracking stuff at this point, it’ll be hard. We could have the record finished by the end of the year — that’s a possibility, but the logistics of getting it manufactured and getting the record company in line and all this stuff, I doubt we’ll be able to get it out before Christmas. We’ll see how it goes. Most likely, it’ll be early 2014.”

I think most of us knew by now 2013 was always going to be a long shot, so no real surprises there. Positive for me is that statement where Danny says "four of us it will be soon". That suggests to me that with Maynard soon to join proceedings, this length songwriting saga is finally approaching completion. While I'm not 100% confident they'll record this year, this is a step in the right direction.

Thanks to all those who emailed me the news!

ThatGuy
Bronco's Fan

Post by ThatGuy »

Exciting news! We haven't heard much from them recently so that suggests that really have been busy writing the album. Once Maynardo gets in there to finish it off with the lyrics, I will be ready for news about a release date. Danny's credibility on predicting release dates is sketchy. But early 2014 seems legit. 
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

How long after this album is released will people be complaining about when the next one will be released?
ThatGuy
Bronco's Fan

Post by ThatGuy »

As long as it takes for them to listen to the new album one time and post a comment on here...1 hour and 2 minutes is my guess.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

four of us it will be soon

I knew this day would come.

Danny's turning into Yoda.
Don't mow your lawn
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Guess all those folks who predicted a 2013 release are shit out of luck.  8 years and people are excited? bwhahahahahahaha

TTFs gotta love em
ThatGuy
Bronco's Fan

Post by ThatGuy »

There needs to be a meme:

Complains/rags on Tool and its fans

Visits fan site and comments more than anyone else
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

ThatGuy said
There needs to be a meme:

Complains/rags on Tool and its fans

Visits fan site and comments more than anyone else

No no I am fairly far down the list.  Besides we have Crow at the top, who is borderline anti-TOOL, so the AntiTOOLites are still in the lead.  As long as that fucker UndKeine stays behind Crow all is good in the world.

bag-a-bones
My pain is just an excuse

Post by bag-a-bones »

UndKeineEier said

four of us it will be soon

I knew this day would come.

Danny's turning into Yoda.

LOL!!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Just ignore Mog - it's some deep seated emotional insecurity playing out here.  Most of us here are quite comfortable with our obsession with Tool, however Mog still fights it.  Rather than admit he's in the same boat as the rest of us, he still plays on the whole "too cool to love Tool" schtick.  

We've all seen through act this long ago.  Mog claims it amuses him to watch us "Typical Tool Fans" lathering over Danny's sweat, however it's quite the opposite - most of us here have had far more laughs at his expense rather than the other way round.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Doesn't MJK usually harvest grapes around August or so?  So he's probably out of the loop until after that.
I like to poop naked.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

hellboy1975 said
Just ignore Mog - it's some deep seated emotional insecurity playing out here.  Most of us here are quite comfortable with our obsession with Tool, however Mog still fights it.  Rather than admit he's in the same boat as the rest of us, he still plays on the whole "too cool to love Tool" schtick.  

We've all seen through act this long ago.  Mog claims it amuses him to watch us "Typical Tool Fans" lathering over Danny's sweat, however it's quite the opposite - most of us here have had far more laughs at his expense rather than the other way round.

Keep tellin yourself that buddy.  You just keep delivering that hard hitting late breaking news.

Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's not to listen to what Danny has to say about release dates. I'm pretty sure he said fall of this year a while ago. I think we were all expecting 2014.

I really hope the guys put out a Salival type of release. I think we'd be satisfied with that...on second thought, I'm sure we wouldn't.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

markuspoop said
Doesn't MJK usually harvest grapes around August or so?  So he's probably out of the loop until after that.

The Volto! tour looks pretty well timed to synch with the harvest, so you're right - I can't see much going down until September.  Still some faint hope they could record this year, but I don't think it would surprise many to see it slip into 2014.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Early 2014 sounds pretty cool. I could live with that.

Methinks it'll be closer to mid-2014, though.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

I want to believe... But it is Danny after all.

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Well my thought that May Jay had already joined them in at least a part time weekly basis was wrong.

It's a step in the right direction though, I guess.
Hey! Denty!
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

ThatGuy said
But early 2014 seems legit. 

Why?!?!

He doesn't even sound particularly confident that they will begin recording this year!!

At this stage you can more or less pencil in an Oct - Dec 2014 release date.

ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Ya'll are fucking hilariousy
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

Just out of curiosity...

What does "tracking" mean..?

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay said
Just out of curiosity...

What does "tracking" mean..?

Someone with more experience can comment here, but I expect Danny means the early part of the recording process where they start recording single track segments of the songs (mainly drums I expect) in order to prepare for the "proper" recording.  

The members of Tool have said before they enter the studio with pretty much everything ready to go - they don't write while in the studio like some bands (especially those that use producers) do.  To achieve this, I expect they record the bare bones stuff in the loft (what I suspect Danny is referring to by saying tracking), and then use this in some way to assist with the complete recording once they hit a proper studio.
smithersSOCAL
Bronco's Fan

Post by smithersSOCAL »

tracking is basic sound recording before overdubs and the usual "magic" that is created during mixing. in other words. this album isnt even close to being done.

my guess is mid-2014.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

spring/summer 2014
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

Probably another 15 months til we get our hands on a copy....