Volto!'s Incitare now streaming

fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

I enjoyed the album. I've never listened to a jazz fusion album and it's probably not something I'd listen to on a regular basis but it was entertaining. I'm definitely going to see them live in Indy!

PS: Danny will be on Children of Saturn tomorrow:
Yahoo Slurp [Bot]
Maynard Believer

Post by Yahoo Slurp [Bot] »

I really like the album. I'm an avid jazz fusion listener so it's up my alley. The only major criticism I'd have is the guitar tone, especially in solo passages. I am surprised to find the tone is a very 80s Satriani/Vai type sound. It's all a bit too polished and lines often trail off into a controlled feedback 80s guitar virtuoso thing.

Needs less Yngwie, more John McLaughlin.

If the guitar tone was a raw/edgy 70s sound and the Meltdown track was replaced with something else... even something ambient yet melodic for some space... I'd give this a solid 9.5 or 10 as far as fusion albums go.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

You too got stuck in the Spam filter, but you should be good to go now.

Not sure if it was this thread or another, but I commented on the tone somewhere else... Clearly JZ could have gone with any guitar tone known or unknown and this is what floated his boat. I dig it, but I would have liked a little more ballsy tone as well, or at least if he switched it up more. There is a possibility that it was Joe who led him down that path, but we may never know.

Welcome to Fourtheye.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Yahoo Slurp [Bot]
Maynard Believer

Post by Yahoo Slurp [Bot] »

Kittaan said

You too got stuck in the Spam filter, but you should be good to go now.
Not sure if it was this thread or another, but I commented on the tone somewhere else... Clearly JZ could have gone with any guitar tone known or unknown and this is what floated his boat. I dig it, but I would have liked a little more ballsy tone as well, or at least if he switched it up more. There is a possibility that it was Joe who led him down that path, but we may never know.
Welcome to Fourtheye.

Thanks!

Yeah, I just went to the Tocino thread to read the comments about the tone there. I see you're a Zappa fan as well... basically if JZ had ventured down the Zappa avenue for some of the solos, the album would have been the better for it. I'm thinking of Zappa's Inca Roads solo or something. Room for improvement next time - hopefully sooner rather than later. There's no reason a band like this couldn't release an album a year of this caliber.

Overall, still a great album!