Introductions Thread - Who are you & What the Hell dya want?

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Introductions Thread - Who are you & What the Hell dya w

Post by hellboy »

Welcome aboard PimPle. I enjoyed the 5 years I spent living in Queensland, so it's good to have another Banana bender on board.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Hello again Pimple. (I like it: Easy to type if you don't me not capitalising the second p). It's nice to have some new blood on the forum, I look forward to your thoughts.

I'd say I am very much a hard core athiest and pacifist too. I do conflict however, the ideas kind. Unfortunately in this world being an atheist puts us in a world minority, and many people, given the right set of circumstances, too easily back a war. I'm always happy to point out the error of their ways. :)

I have two grown up kids (18 and 20), I love the music of Tool, sang in a band for a few years, and now go and see as much live music as I possibly can (I am interested to find my tastes running to heavier material as I am exposed to more of it - I can even enjoy a growly vocal now).

I'm in Vietnam as I type, enjoying a winter escape with the bloke (it was getting damn cold in Adelaide) and I drank a large bottle of beer before lunch time today, served at a nice bar and it cost me $1! It's my first time here and it's lovely. Not many western tourists and very undeveloped. It reminds me of my first travels in Asia 20 years ago.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Dang that's cool. I'd love to go to Vietnam.
Hey! Denty!
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

Cheers guys, I hope I can contribute to this forum in some way...
liz wrote:I am interested to find my tastes running to heavier material as I am exposed to more of it - I can even enjoy a growly vocal now).
I am not too dissimilar, previously I did not enjoy music with growling lyrics, though I loved the proggy/death metal guitar work... but all of a sudden a few years ago it started making sense, maybe because of Opeth and Meshuggah... but now I understand its place in the mix.... I also struggled with Slayer a lot (although I loved their music) until I saw them at Soundwave 2 years ago then it also made sense......
Be good to each other.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

PimPle wrote:Cheers guys, I hope I can contribute to this forum in some way...
liz wrote:I am interested to find my tastes running to heavier material as I am exposed to more of it - I can even enjoy a growly vocal now).
I am not too dissimilar, previously I did not enjoy music with growling lyrics, though I loved the proggy/death metal guitar work... but all of a sudden a few years ago it started making sense, maybe because of Opeth and Meshuggah... but now I understand its place in the mix.... I also struggled with Slayer a lot (although I loved their music) until I saw them at Soundwave 2 years ago then it also made sense......
ISIS' journey throughout the years, in terms of vocals, has been interesting. If you dig their later work, try their very earlier stuff for extremely raw, dry-lung vocals. I think it's one of the reasons why they only appealed to a certain demographic in the first place. Post-"OCEANIC", he tried his hand at a lot more clean vocal practice.

I'd say it paid off, as they went through the roof in terms of popularity.

But don't let "growl" vocals scare you off from music. Some of the best shit I've heard has had near-unintelligible vocals.

On the other end of the scale, you have bands like TODAY IS THE DAY, that use the-dude-from-AC/DC-crossed-wit-a-raped-little-girl kind of vocals. Yeah, that was a bit much in terms of description, but it makes TOTAL sense if you listen to them.

The way the voice is used in music is weird. It's something that completely fascinates me, and a huge reason why I find El Nardo so compelling.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
not_All_One_Mind
Maynard Believer

Post by not_All_One_Mind »

So I used to go by All_One_Mind back in the day on tdn, toolnavy, tb3, mm, and eba. I just found this place and lo and behold, some other tool fan took the name first. I recognize "not tyson" as tyson from pretty much all of those boards, so I said screw it and went with Not_All_One_Mind. Hello people.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

not_All_One_Mind wrote:So I used to go by All_One_Mind back in the day on tdn, toolnavy, tb3, mm, and eba. I just found this place and lo and behold, some other tool fan took the name first. I recognize "not tyson" as tyson from pretty much all of those boards, so I said screw it and went with Not_All_One_Mind. Hello people.
Greetings (not)_All_One_Mind. Sorry about the delay approving the post. Your account should now be clear to post freely around the place.
not_All_One_Mind
Maynard Believer

Post by not_All_One_Mind »

Thank you!
Rockgirl
Bronco's Fan

Post by Rockgirl »

I am back after a pretty big break so just going through and catching up on what I have missed. Got a bit of reading to do it seems! :)

As for the intro aspect...
Kiwi living in Oz since 1998. In Melbourne (married to a Melbournite) and love it here. Went through some pretty massive medical crap last year so sorting out my work/life balance and getting back my mojo.
I am a gemmologist and cut gemstones as a hobby. Go through massive reading phases every so often and mess around a little bit with photography.

Karen
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Welcome back Rockgirl - sorry about the delay in getting your posts approved. This forum is not very good at letting me know when new posts are sitting there waiting for me to accept.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

hellboy wrote:Welcome back Rockgirl - sorry about the delay in getting your posts approved. This forum is not very good at letting me know when new posts are sitting there waiting for me to accept.

Translation: Hellboy is lazy. We still love him but don't ask him to mow your lawn ;)
lo7us

Post by lo7us »

Oh hey.

Lotus here. I had to make a new account over here a year ago after Hellboy changed stuff over or something a while back. My original account got lost somehow. No biggie, I didn't post that much when I joined in 2009.

Nice group of peeps on this forum. I like that there's mostly all old school fans here and very little negativity.

Including today, I have been in this body and on this planet for 16,425 days.

Pro tip: To level up, take a hit of 40x salvia and listen to Disposition. wait an hour....Do another hit, then listen to Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Wait another hour.....then do a third hit and listen to Jimi Hendrix - Moon, Turn The Tides...Gently Gently Away

If you see the fabric of our existence and make the connection of 'We are all one mind", you have broke through the walls of our dimension and successfully pried open your third eye.

You can do it without drugs after that, once you have figured it out. It's the best feeling you will ever have.
From bearded clam cums bearded jam
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Like Rockgirl, making a reappearance on the boards after a few account block outs over the last few years.

Live in Cairns, Australia, first saw Tool back in 02 on Lateralus tour (was the tits) play bass, like long walks on the beach & licking windows in my spare time.
Listen to All Them Witches
Rockgirl
Bronco's Fan

Post by Rockgirl »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:
hellboy wrote:Welcome back Rockgirl - sorry about the delay in getting your posts approved. This forum is not very good at letting me know when new posts are sitting there waiting for me to accept.

Translation: Hellboy is lazy. We still love him but don't ask him to mow your lawn ;)
All good - I dont have a lawn to mow! :)
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Sorry RockGirl - I thought I'd removed you from the New Users list, but it turns out I hadn't. Posts should be automatically approved now!
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:

is that slang for some gay shit?
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Rockgirl
Bronco's Fan

Post by Rockgirl »

hellboy wrote:Sorry RockGirl - I thought I'd removed you from the New Users list, but it turns out I hadn't. Posts should be automatically approved now!
Sweet. Thanks!
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

mad props to the thread title. hahahahahahahaha

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.