Danny speaks in Rhythm Magazine

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Danny is featured in an interview for the UK drum magazine Rhythm in the February 2013 issue, and he discusses a range of topics including that status of Tool's new album. Here's the meat of the article I expect most of you are interested in:

What stage are you at in the writing process for the new Tool album?
We have six or seven really good frameworks that we're working on. We're over half way in my opinion. The first tune is always hard to get polished off. It seems like on every record we have this big, epic thing like 'Rosetta', 'Wings for Marie' or 'Lateralus'. That's the one we're focusing on now. Once we knock out that, the other songs fall into place around it. We're right on the fringe of knocking that big one out. We're all excited and it seems to have progressed really well.

Also discussed are a range of other topics, which I'll outline below:

Discusses the creative process in Tool. Basically Adam, Justin and Danny write most of the music, and then Maynard comes in to add his parts. At this point Maynard and Danny start working on the emotion and dynamics of the music, while Adam and Justin polish the harmonics and rhythm. Implication to me is that they haven't reached the stage where Maynard is involved yet, as Danny pointed out he's busy with APC. Danny prefers having Maynard in as early as possible.

Volto! recorded with Joe Baressi in Danny's rehearsal space. Every track was one take recorded onto tape. They hope to release it early 2013. New album seems to be called Incitaire, features tracks Grip It, Gillz and Drumbreaux. Reviewer gave it a 4/5

Danny has played on some Collide tracks for their new album.

Has a side preoject with cEvin Key from Skinny Puppy and John Frusciante in the pipeline.
Also has some demos from Richard Barbieri from Porcupine Tree, so presumably may be recording with him.

He also discusses a range of drum related topics, but you'll have to buy the magazine for the finer details.

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

My brother saw Volto! in LA a few months back and has been dying to get this album ever since.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Is Rhythm on on-line only mag or do they just not print the articles on their site?
They don't print articles on their site, as I expect they'd rather people buy the magazine.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

That would be Richard, not John...

http://www.richardbarbieri.net/

Definitely stoked to hear any collaboration between Tool and Porky Tree members.
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Thanks, I must have had John Frusciante on the brain.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

toolphishdhs said
so we are looking, realistically, at 1/3 to half (but closer to 1/3) done with the album. this estimate includes finishing writing the songs, having Maynard write lyrics and then work out the small stuff.  After that, recording, which may or may not very long and then mixing and mastering. so 2015-2016 release date. or they are done with it and it will be released in a few weeks. Laziest. Band. EVER.

Nah. Mid 2014 is more realistic.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

While excited to hear the "Tool" update, I'm almost equally excited about the Volto! update.
I like to poop naked.
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

9/16/14 release date
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

hellboy1975 said

Is Rhythm on on-line only mag or do they just not print the articles on their site?

They don't print articles on their site, as I expect they'd rather people buy the magazine.

Just checking...they could always sell the on-line version too...the local rags do that around here but it's not my bag man...
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

crow011 said 

Q2 2014 seems about right at the moment, provided they can actually finish writing enough to record sometime after APC does it's thing.  Hopefully the Ozzfest in Japan is a warmup before they hit the studio.

Then again, we've been guessing recording times & release dates for the last three years.  Until there's some solid evidence they are actually recording I won't be raising my expectation levels.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

cheeseballs said 
Just checking...they could always sell the on-line version too...the local rags do that around here but it's not my bag man...

They do sell an online version, for iOS devices only though (hence yesterdays iOS thread).
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said

crow011 said 

Q2 2014 seems about right at the moment, provided they can actually finish writing enough to record sometime after APC does it's thing.  Hopefully the Ozzfest in Japan is a warmup before they hit the studio.

Then again, we've been guessing recording times & release dates for the last three years.  Until there's some solid evidence they are actually recording I won't be raising my expectation levels.

Lol, when you put it like that, it makes you want to curl up a little and quietly sob.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said

cheeseballs said 

They do sell an online version, for iOS devices only though (hence yesterdays iOS thread).

Ah, that clears that up, then. I was completely bewildered as to why you specifically needed an iOS device for an article.

casusinflamed
Maynard Believer

Post by casusinflamed »

remember the interview for this article was probably done in december '12. We still have Volto and MTVoid albums to come first and Adam's video project (whatever that is). Looks like the new album might arrive late this year or early next.
unclejackson
My pain is just an excuse

Post by unclejackson »

Assuming they are at least halfway finished, its likely the second half will fall into place more quickly than the first half (part intuitive assumption, and partly based on band statements). It's possible they could wrap up the writing process sometime this summer and potentially release the album 6-7 months later - which could mean a late 2013 or early 2014 release.

While I am moderately interested in The Pot video, BMB and the band seem to be suggesting at least two projects (other than the album) are in the works. It's certainly very plausible that a Salival II, or something along those lines could be in the cards. We know it's not the live DVD. I keep thinking it must be something more than just The Pot video - I don't remember Blair ever drumming up speculation regarding a Tool video in the way he seems to be talking up whatever secret project (non-album) has been in development over the past year and a half (at least).
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

unclejackson said
Assuming they are at least halfway finished, its likely the second half will fall into place more quickly than the first half (part intuitive assumption, and partly based on band statements). It's possible they could wrap up the writing process sometime this summer and potentially release the album 6-7 months later - which could mean a late 2013 or early 2014 release.

While I am moderately interested in The Pot video, BMB and the band seem to be suggesting at least two projects (other than the album) are in the works. It's certainly very plausible that a Salival II, or something along those lines could be in the cards. We know it's not the live DVD. I keep thinking it must be something more than just The Pot video - I don't remember Blair ever drumming up speculation regarding a Tool video in the way he seems to be talking up whatever secret project (non-album) has been in development over the past year and a half (at least).

It's a co-autobiography of all members in one book. Touching on almost absolutely nothing to do with TOOL, but more to do with personal interests and philosophies.

I'm calling it.

Come on, this is the most plausible thing you've ever heard with regard to the band in the past five years.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

It's just slightly behind the jet pants in terms of plausibility.
Don't mow your lawn
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

a tiny bit of inside info from Cevin Key on his collab with danny. he said the other day to someone 'if we can get john to come over' but he did say him and danny had some tracks layed down. so id say dont expect that any time soon either if Johns not been around. i think its a disease with these group of guys! lol! everything takes a long time...
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

* thats from Cevin Keys facebook page btw...forgot to say that.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

The longer this album takes to drop the more I think that the frustration May Jay shows when he's asked about Tool has to do with his bandmates taking so long.  He keeps quiet instead of running his mouth on them.  I mean think about it, how many frontmen have talked some kind of shit about his/her bandmates and cause drama?  May Jay might be a douche and all that but you gotta admit he's never talked shit about his Tool bandmates.

As opposed to someone like Steven Tyler who openly said that his bandmates "ride his coattails".  I don't really give a shit about modern day Aerosmith but that's a shitty thing to say, whether it's true or not.

Anyway, I'm glad we at least got this info.  As I've said a million times by now I'd rather they take their sweet ass time (not that they haven't already) than to rush something just to satisfy us keyboard warriors.
Hey! Denty!
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Some people clearly do not understand or even have any respect for the artistic process
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Ravenpig said
The longer this album takes to drop the more I think that the frustration May Jay shows when he's asked about Tool has to do with his bandmates taking so long.  He keeps quiet instead of running his mouth on them.  I mean think about it, how many frontmen have talked some kind of shit about his/her bandmates and cause drama?  May Jay might be a douche and all that but you gotta admit he's never talked shit about his Tool bandmates.

Yeah I was thinking that too.  Earlier today.  Weird.
Don't mow your lawn