APC Tour 2018 discussion (includes spoilers!)

Discuss Maynard and Billy's side project
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: APC Tour 2018 discussion (includes spoilers!)

Post by hellboy »

Maybe I didn't watch hard enough, but hardly missed Josh's drumming during that set. Overall, APC don't play as "hard" as they used too.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I still love them, but it's night and day to me.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Both nights in Brixton were amazing. It's like 2003 all over again, they have the energy and "rock-star" charisma back and seems to have so much fun on stage together.

During the second show I almost teared up when the entire crowd screamed in unison after one of the best performance of The Outsider i've ever seen. The screaming went on for almost a minute and Maynard busted out "you have no idea how much this means to us". What an experience.

Also, sorry to you who PM'd me before the show! I didn't see it until now.
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

Yeah went to Brixton too and echo Ettan's thoughts

They were really tight, the stage set looked good as did the lighting. Maynard was amazing and silhouetted the entire time.

Ps. I wish Matt McJunkins would sort out his fucking hair.
Pps. Mog is hilarious
Deftones!
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Nice! I actually met Matt before the show and talk to him and the lightning guy. He was really polite and even shook my hand. Got a nice selfie as well.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Just sold my tickets for Graspop Festival here in Belgium, can't make it due to APC closing the entire thing at 12 - 1:30am. My train to the flight leaves 5 hours later so it's just too tight for me to make it.. Really gutted, not sure why they play so late :(
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Sounds super late for a festival - normally here in Oz they're done by 11pm. Typically due to noise curfews and such - I guess Graspop must be in the middle of nowhere?
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Getting around to watching this rock am ring show. Digging so far but geez may jay is struggling with weak and powerless
Listen to All Them Witches
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Busty McCracken wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:46 am Getting around to watching this rock am ring show. Digging so far but geez may jay is struggling with weak and powerless
I reckon he has in pretty much every recording I've watched.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

^ has he? Can't say it's stood out to me before where as last night man , he was singing low as. Everything else sounded solid just that one tune was noticeably off for him. As expected the new tunes sound killer live, really hope they bring this tour to Aus.

And is there anyone in the world out there other than the band that seem to enjoy 3 libras remix more than the original version? Don't understand why they keep persisting with that version
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Busty McCracken wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:51 pm ^ has he? Can't say it's stood out to me before where as last night man , he was singing low as. Everything else sounded solid just that one tune was noticeably off for him. As expected the new tunes sound killer live, really hope they bring this tour to Aus.
Yeah, I'm keen for that Aussie tour. I suspect that we might see them on the Download Festival next year.

That 3 Libras remix is balls, and I'm yet to meet anyone who likes it. I'd almost rather an eMotive track.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Forgot all about Download. I was assuming more January much like Puscifers most recent jaunt down here, where as Download was late March at least for this years one. Not only am I hoping to have a new Tool album by March but I am yet to see APC at a sideshow so fingers crossed they come for their own shows in January and Tool kick off around March.

And yep didn't think the dislike of remix would be just me, I wonder if it gives them an easy rest mid set so it's more a strategical set placement song than a feel that people actually enjoy it.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Obviously I'd rather it not be Download, I just suspect that it will be. Maybe we'll see a Tool album and a Tool headlined Download instead.

Either way, I'll be there...
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I prefer the remix over the original and have said so before :/
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

I sincerely hope not for Tool. I'd rather wait and get a fully fledged tour from them seeing as 3 out of their last 4 visits have been associated with BDO.

And really Tyson? Am surprised anyone would take the remix over the original but to each their own
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Busty McCracken wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:04 pm I sincerely hope not for Tool. I'd rather wait and get a fully fledged tour from them seeing as 3 out of their last 4 visits have been associated with BDO.
I think they've only played 2 Big Day Outs, but close enough!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Ah yeah my bad. Have seen em at multiple shows and cities on both occassions so felt like more. My point stands still
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Fuck festivals, give a me a nice dinner followed by a 2.5 hour show and bed before 1AM THANKS
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

tys0n wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:07 pm Fuck festivals, give a me a nice dinner followed by a 2.5 hour show and bed before 1AM THANKS
Ah, I guess you haven't been to a Tool or APC show lately...

It goes without saying that everyone prefers a proper show over a festival. Sometimes though, you just take what you can get.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

I honestly don't know if I could make it past 1am these days anyway. I'm also growing a fondness for talkback radio, , what the hell happened!
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

here is my Verona review: it was their last show of the current leg. what can i say...if you are worried about mjk: he was in a great, great mood.
as for the performance: i've never been to a show with a better sound. maybe NIN in vienna, but that's the only one that came somehow close to yesterday. they sounded almost a little too perfect. mjk's voice was so crystal clear and loud, he nailed every scream.
as for his live performance in general, i was wondering if he sang through some kind of autotune and if he used some kind of pre recorded vocal samples of his own to support his screams.

here's an example of what i mean:

just when the "over this" scream kicks in, you can clearly hear someone (mjk? by mistake??) continue singing "over this" even though the scream already startet. due to the stage light setting it was absolutely impossible to see what mjk actually sang. curious to read what you think.

here is "the contrarian" with some maynardism in advance:.
recorded by me with my shitty phone :P

all in all: 10 out of 10.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

I think it's just a delay effect much like what a guitarist would use to help propel the scream longer and give it a bit of an extra layer.

Glad to hear ya had a good time and that they're in fine form. Brave man holding that phone up mid set
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

lukas wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:21 am as for his live performance in general, i was wondering if he sang through some kind of autotune and if he used some kind of pre recorded vocal samples of his own to support his screams.
I was analysing a few Tool shows from the most recent tours, and my opinion is he's definitely using something to extend his voice. I don't think it's autotune, but some kind of delay as Busty mentions above. I don't have a huge problem with it personally.
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

hellboy wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:22 pm
lukas wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:21 am as for his live performance in general, i was wondering if he sang through some kind of autotune and if he used some kind of pre recorded vocal samples of his own to support his screams.
I don't have a huge problem with it personally.
me neither
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Thanks for sharing those clips lukas! My mate actually had the same thoughts as you regaring that they sound too perfect.
After the show in Sweden he said something like "I enjoyed it, but they almost sounded too good."

Just proves how good and tight they are this tour. I'd say this would be peak APC if Josh was behind the drums to add that extra flair and speed.

I really miss my APC run, probably the most fun thing i've done in years. I'll do my best to catch them in December when they return. Here's an example from the second show in Brixton.