Legend Of The Seagullmen

Volto!, m.t.Void, White Onion and other side projects of current and former Tool members
nousername
of Arimathea

Legend Of The Seagullmen

Post by nousername »

Now that Legend Of The Seagullmen are playing their first show, I thought I'd make a post about them. For anyone who doesn't know, they are a band that features Brent Hinds of Mastodon and Danny Carey.
The two songs released a few years ago were pretty decent. The band is intended to be a 'multimedia project', like the music going along with video stuff, etc. I've also read various interviews where Brent Hinds talk about the concept of the band. This article posted below from 2 years ago gives some details, but Brent H's interviews go way more in depth.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... n-20150209

Anyway I am lucky to get to see their first show with Primus on NYE. I look forward to see what will happen. Also their social media implies the band is releasing a full album sometime soon.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Legend Of The Seagullmen

Post by hellboy »

Looking forward to hearing what they come up with.
nousername
of Arimathea

Post by nousername »

First show was great! Opening for Primus got them a very enthusiastic crowd. The bands sounded great! The live setting gave a bit of a heavier sound, which is common. They played a 45 minute set. There wasn't too much in terms of stage production, other than the costumes. 4 out of the 7 of them were wearing seagull masks (Danny wasn't). Brent Hinds couldn't make it for whatever reason. But in his place was Larry LaLonde (Primus guitarist), which wasn't revealed until the middle of the show when he took of his seagull mask. Larry did a great job, sounded tight with the rest of the band. Danny was great of course. Definitely a smaller kit than he used with Tool, but sure he is used to it with all the LA jazz/jamming stuff he does (Volto, etc). Anyway it was an awesome performance. Hopefully they get to do more shows in the future. I know that might be hard with everyone schedule (mainly Danny and Brent), but hopefully they can do more live stuff. I look forward to the album coming out next month.
Primus put on an amazing show as always. They did their whole new album 'The Desaturating Seven'. Amazing album; Its not often I go to a show wanting to see new songs more than the old stuff, but last night was one of those. For the intro narrated by Justin Chancellor, they actually had a close up video of Justin's face doing that narration. Also Danny came out and jammed with Primus for 'Southbound Pachyderm'. It was a pretty epic, especially the jam at the end!
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

glad that you enjoyed it! how were the songs in general? i guess they were playing their whole upcoming album?
nousername
of Arimathea

Post by nousername »

The songs sounded great! The only songs I have heard previously were the two songs they released as a demo years ago. But I would say those songs are a good representation of all their songs; Story telling prog rock. I can't recall the # of songs played, but I think it might have been all of them from the 1st album; the album seems to be about 40 mins according to itunes, and the set was 45 mins.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Another new track:

Not a huge fan of the others, but that one sounded better.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Re: New Music Thread

Post by Busty McCracken »

Legends of the seagullmen album now streaming. Musically loving it, would call it Primus esque in it's weirdness of style. Would have preferred something a little bit deeper in context personally from the lyrics & music, but can't fault the riffs & musicianship on display. Give it 4 out of 5 fish & chips so far on first listen.

http://www.kerrang.com/features/exclusi ... um-stream/

Seagullmen Features
Exclusive: Legend Of The Seagullmen Album Stream

Listen to the self-titled debut album from the mysterious new supergroup, featuring members of Tool and Mastodon, right here!

If you’ve not yet had the pleasure of acquainting yourself with the mysterious Legend Of The Seagullmen, allow us to introduce you.

It’s a supergroup consisting of Mastodon’s Brent Hinds, Tool’s Danny Carey, Jonah Hex/Horton Hears A Who! director Jimmy Hayward, Dethlok bassist Pete Griffin, and finally, a frontman who goes by the name, ‘The Doctor’. What’s their deal? Get a load of this quote straight from the band themselves:

The lore is real…This is the self-titled debut from Legend of The Seagullmen! We are the very men who have been anointed by the Seagullgod King to deliver pure rock fury and save you from the deep dark depths. Fifty foot mutant deep sea divers, enraged giant squid and bloodthirsty killer Orcas are on their way and nothing stands between you and a certain briny death but the Seagullmen! BOW DOWN AND FOREVER BASK IN THE GLORY OF THE SEAGULLGOD KING!

And here’s a full stream of the band’s self titled debut:
Listen to All Them Witches
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

not impressed. i don't blame danny though. well maybe a little...
nousername
of Arimathea

Post by nousername »

Enjoy the album. Pretty on point to what they sounded live on NYE: Fun bunch of prog-rock songs. Got to take more listens/read lyrics to fully get the whole story plot. Just cool that a bunch of musicians just get together to make wacky songs just for the fuck of it.
3po1nt0
of Arimathea

Post by 3po1nt0 »

anyone here going to the roxy show tomorrow?
3.1.97||7.11.97||7.3.98||8.15.01||11.24.02||4.30.06||9.7.06||9.8.06||7.14.07||12.10.07||12.14.07||8.22.09||7.18.10||7.19.10||3.12.14||3.16.14||10.31.15||1.9.16||6.17.17||10.20.19||10.21.19||1.18.22||10.8.23||2.14.24||2.15.24||2.17.24