Tool Spring 2017 Tour (includes spoilers!)

Discuss Tool live shows both past and future
3po1nt0
of Arimathea

Re: Tool Spring 2017 Tour (includes spoilers!)

Post by 3po1nt0 »

vancouver got the pot last night as one final kick in the junk before vicarious tmrw.
3.1.97||7.11.97||7.3.98||8.15.01||11.24.02||4.30.06||9.7.06||9.8.06||7.14.07||12.10.07||12.14.07||8.22.09||7.18.10||7.19.10||3.12.14||3.16.14||10.31.15||1.9.16||6.17.17||10.20.19||10.21.19||1.18.22||10.8.23||2.14.24||2.15.24||2.17.24
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

3po1nt0 wrote:story time...night of june 15, 2008 (wow 9 years ago to the day) i spoke with adam at length outside staples center after the lakers beat the celtics in game 5 of the nba finals.

we were both waiting for the metro train at pico station, so there really wasn't anywhere for him to run off to as i informed him i was a longtime fan and asked him about his experience at the lakers game. at the time, i didn't realize he was a big lakers fan...since then i've seen him and danny there together at games (maybe justin with them as well). he was totally at ease and forthcoming as we shot the shit for 5 mins or so. he had been to many of the games that season and playoffs but was not traveling to boston for game 6 - turned out to be a smart move as they got demolished that game.

anyway, the reason i mention this was in response to the security detailed in VIP article. at some point in our conversation the previous year's fall tour came up and specifically the show from bill graham civic auditorium where jello biafra sat in for holiday in cambodia. tim from primus also sat in that show. well, i mentioned i didn't attend but had a copy of it and that's when things went a little south. his demeanor changed and seemed to be bothered by me just talking about a bootleg of their performance. i then reassured him in a way by commenting how at least it sounded really clean. if any of you have heard this tape it is a damn good one. well, mistake made - one i won't repeat. they're obviously very protective of their collective output in terms of recording, justifiably so. i don't know what my stance would be if i was a musician considering it could go either way where you either make some/all the recordings of shows available to fans, or you preserve the live experience and make it that much more special by withholding.

tl;dr? looking forward to gorge and i've resigned that we're getting vicarious after the drum solo
Cool story!

most interesting part for me was Adams attitude concerning audience recordings. back in the early 2000s when toolarmy had a couple of Q & A's in a chatroom,someone mentioned they got more into tool cause of hearing them live and what do you think,,,,,,before he/she could even finish what they were saying Adam goes "NO BOOTLEGS" and that was that.

Honestly,over the years ive come to think hes kind of a dick. i dont get that from Danny and Justin at all. Oddly enough (or not) those two are the ones to watch during a tool performance if you ask me. Justin is really awesome, in 09 when i saw him up close i really saw how much he does. Like i need to mention Danny !!

plus i had some live songs from a boot on my FB page and mysteriously Adam deleted me.. it very likely could of been that, but then again maybe it was nothing and he was just making room for his real friends. doesnt matter too much i guess. i just get the feeling hes a bit of a knob, and i trust my feelings ;)

that new little interview too, value for money he says, blah blah blah. ok mr VIP and signed posters costing 175 dollars now.(in canada thats what they were) plus other things at the merch table that are ridicolously high prices. hes full of shit.

anyway, just thought id share that.

* i guess this is considered a ''spoiler'' ? ooh! :|
Last edited by bob on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Only 5 more stops left on this tour! Here's hoping everyone has a great time and that the guys power through this week. Maybe a few more surprises for these last few shows.

So, who else is headed to the San Bernadino show?
Lachrymologist
The Chill
Markuspoop
AZ Bay? If so, where are you sitting?

One week from tomorrow! It's been seven years since I've last seen these guys play. So excited!!!
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

I'll be at the San Bernardino show! LOGE7 smack dab in the center. I'm definitely down for a fourtheye meet up! It's my first Tool show so be gentle. :D
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

gamebounty wrote:I'll be at the San Bernardino show! LOGE7 smack dab in the center. I'm definitely down for a fourtheye meet up! It's my first Tool show so be gentle. :D
Excellent! I'll be in Loge 6 with a few friends, and wandering around from time to time to say hey, so I'll try and seek you out.

And, first Tool show?! Heck yeah!!!
azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

yep I'll be there! Lawn, have a group of 5 that aren't as dedicated to getting better seats, but I'm cool with it obviously. Been to glen Helen numerous times, actually was my very first concert & venue experience, ozzfest '99
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

azbay wrote:yep I'll be there! Lawn, have a group of 5 that aren't as dedicated to getting better seats, but I'm cool with it obviously. Been to glen Helen numerous times, actually was my very first concert & venue experience, ozzfest '99
Excellent! Hopefully I can track you down and say "Hello!"
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

bob wrote:....

that new little interview too, value for money he says, blah blah blah. ok mr VIP and signed posters costing 175 dollars now.(in canada thats what they were) plus other things at the merch table that are ridicolously high prices. hes full of shit.....|
Yeah but that's Canadian dollars :lol: and Canadians are used to paying high prices. I lived in BC for a few years and the prices were high on everything to say the least. Well... everything except for the reefer 8-)
Professor of Lesbian Science
lachrymologist
RIP

Post by lachrymologist »

Yeah 175 Canadian for a signed is really like 135 USD so it's actually a better price for Americans visiting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
lachrymologist
RIP

Post by lachrymologist »

Patiently waiting at the Wildhorse campground near the Gorge. Looks like it's going to be a beautiful night for a show. Have fun everyone!!

bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Yeah but that's Canadian dollars :lol: and Canadians are used to paying high prices. I lived in BC for a few years and the prices were high on everything to say the least. Well... everything except for the reefer 8-)
ya, thats true, a lot of everything i said has to do with more then just $$ . i just think some of their perspectives have changed/gotten worse in a way that isnt so good. greed! not my problem i guess.

have fun! 8-)
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

lachrymologist wrote:Patiently waiting at the Wildhorse campground near the Gorge. Looks like it's going to be a beautiful night for a show. Have fun everyone!!

Have a great show man! That always seemed like a killer venue. Want to see a show at the Gorge and Red Rocks some day.
Ki77aan :twisted:
lachrymologist
RIP

Post by lachrymologist »

Sound was amazing down low. Truly magical moments.

lachrymologist
RIP

Post by lachrymologist »

Purple foil print tonight in Nampa. Looks good

lachrymologist
RIP

Post by lachrymologist »

Here is a pic of the poster from last night. Image

lachrymologist
RIP

Post by lachrymologist »

Also last night's show was by far my favorite show of the 3 I have attended this tour. It just seems to me anyway that the stage show and sound is perfect in an arena that size.
@junior did a wonderful job as always. What are your thoughts on a smaller arena compared to a large basketball/hockey arena

3po1nt0
of Arimathea

Post by 3po1nt0 »

i feel like if tool had only played "the pot" instead of "vicarious" i would've easily rated the gorge a 9/10 - maybe higher

as it stands i was left jealous of those who got a different song in that slot so far this tour.

"sweat" killed though. very surprising they play it so late in the show as it's such a pummeling track.

have to remember the revamped setlist starting in fall 2015 hadn't made its way to PNW until gorge, so it's my own fault for expecting/hoping on something different after seeing basically the same show at monster mash and san diego1.

the massive gorge stage was fully engulfed by the visual bounty that unfolds throughout their set. playing was tight, maynard didn't say much unique to the setting or crowd but did seem to hang around a little longer and wave to us a bit at the conclusion of show.

~19 tool shows since 1997, it ranks near the top in terms of presentation, venue, setlist and execution but seeing as how it was a retread of some other recent shows i've seen that aspect of it detracted from my overall experience. shame i'm so picky. maybe i need to start drinking again to cloud my overly critical lens.
Last edited by 3po1nt0 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3.1.97||7.11.97||7.3.98||8.15.01||11.24.02||4.30.06||9.7.06||9.8.06||7.14.07||12.10.07||12.14.07||8.22.09||7.18.10||7.19.10||3.12.14||3.16.14||10.31.15||1.9.16||6.17.17||10.20.19||10.21.19||1.18.22||10.8.23||2.14.24||2.15.24||2.17.24
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

lachrymologist wrote:Here is a pic of the poster from last night. Image
Thanks for sharing a picture of that foil print. The last thing I need is another poster, but they look great. Sounds like the San Bernardino show will be getting a different type of poster though. Definitely curious to see that final print.

@3po1nt0 - Thanks for the show review. 19 shows?! Most impressive. The upcoming San Bernardino show will be my 11th. So many good shows.

*I went back and looked at the set lists for the shows I've been to:

Lateralus, Schism, and Stinkfist are tied for the most plays at 10 each.
Forty-Six & 2, Jambi, and Vicarious are tied at 9.
Ænema at 8.
Rosetta Stoned at 7.
Wings for Marie/10,000 Days at 6.
Flood at 5.
Right in Two and The Pot at 3.
The Patient and Third Eye at 2.
Intension, Intolerance, Parabola, Sober, Swamp Song, The Grudge, Disposition, Reflection, and Triad...only once.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

lachrymologist wrote:What are your thoughts on a smaller arena compared to a large basketball/hockey arena
This show was put together to have some height and width to it, so it suffers a bit from a low ceiling height.
It didn't help that we got there an hour later (10am) than planned, which was already going to be 2 hours later than normal (7am). The Gorge load out took longer than anticipated, and the drive took longer.
The atmospheric haze hung out better in the small space, so the lasers and lights looked better out over the audience, so I guess that's nice.

The sound is probably easier to manage in a less "boomy" room, too.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

junior wrote:
lachrymologist wrote:What are your thoughts on a smaller arena compared to a large basketball/hockey arena
This show was put together to have some height and width to it, so it suffers a bit from a low ceiling height.
It didn't help that we got there an hour later (10am) than planned, which was already going to be 2 hours later than normal (7am). The Gorge load out took longer than anticipated, and the drive took longer.
The atmospheric haze hung out better in the small space, so the lasers and lights looked better out over the audience, so I guess that's nice.

The sound is probably easier to manage in a less "boomy" room, too.
Hey Junior,

I recall reading about issues with the lasers during the Monster Mash Festival in 2015: something to do with a request from the city? Do you know of any limitations being put on the upcoming San Bernardino show, in regards to the lighting, or will you have free reign?

For an event like the one being put on in San Bernardino, I assume the load-in and soundcheck takes place quite earlier in the day, as the show appears to be scheduled to start at 2:00 that afternoon. Does the crew get much down time to enjoy the other bands, before Tool hits the stage, or will you all be working throughout the show to support the other groups?

Thanks for sharing all this "inside" info, and I hope these last few shows go great.
rgardjr
My pain is just an excuse

Post by rgardjr »

3po1nt0 wrote:~19 tool shows since 1997, it ranks near the top in terms of presentation, venue, setlist and execution but seeing as how it was a retread of some other recent shows i've seen that aspect of it detracted from my overall experience. shame i'm so picky. maybe i need to start drinking again to cloud my overly critical lens.
Pretty much sums up my experience/feelings about the show. The visuals, lighting and lasers were absolutely incredible. I had reserved seats this time on the right side of the stage and I felt that my seat location detracted from the sound and visuals for me compared to the 2006 Gorge show where we sat dead center in the lower part of general admission. That show is my favorite out of the 11 that I've been to. I couldn't figure out how to get a dropbox pic to display but here's a link.

Last edited by rgardjr on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

Still waiting for that Hershey show to pop up...
Justang99
Maynard Believer

The Pot! Vancouver 2017

Post by Justang99 »

Was so stoked to hear Tool make a special point of playing The Pot for the Vancouver audience!! Wasn't on their previous set lists! Tool loves their Van city fans! The concert rocked!!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

They also played it 3 other times this tour: http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/tool- ... ng=The+Pot

Surprised they aren't playing it more considering it has the new video to go with it.