General Tour Discussion Thread

Discuss Tool live shows both past and future
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Re: General Tour Discussion Thread

Post by Kittaan »

You may be right, WA and OR dates (March 4-7) are not listed below :
Official press release:

Failure will join Tool for the band's upcoming Western U.S. tour as of March 9 in Reno, Nev. at the Reno Event Center.

"I was already excited to play with Failure at my 50th birthday party in May, with Puscifer and A Perfect Circle," said Tool front man Maynard James Keenan. "Now I get to do a few more shows with them. Best birthday ever."

The Los Angeles-based bands have toured several times together, with their first joint outing in 1992 and their final dates together coming when both Tool and Failure were aboard Lollapalooza 1996.

"I'm seriously excited about these shows with Tool," said Ken Andrews. "Looking forward to hanging with my old mates, but more importantly, it's a chance for people to hear two bands that still really care about the long form album format and what you can do with that amount of time artistically, versus three-and-a-half minute singles."

Failure recently reunited, playing their first show in sixteen years earlier this month at the El Rey Theatre in Los Angeles. The event, which sold out in mere moments, was described by Spin as "so dynamic, sweeping, warm and expansive that it felt like the perfect combination of an arena show with an intimate setting."

Upcoming dates:

March 9 Reno, NV @ Reno Event Center
March 11 San Francisco, CA @ Bill Graham Civic
March 12 San Francisco, CA @ Bill Graham Civic
March 14 Fresno, CA @ Selland Arena
March 15 Las Vegas, NV @ Planet Hollywood
March 16 San Diego, CA @ Valley View Arena
March 24 Austin, TX @ Cedar Park Center
March 25 Houston, TX @ Toyota Center
March 27 Phoenix, AZ @ US Airways Center
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Why do you prefer an evening with Tool? It doesn't make any difference to the length of the set...
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy wrote:Why do you prefer an evening with Tool? It doesn't make any difference to the length of the set...
I'm old and these are weeknight shows. Faster in and out plain and simple. Also, I'm not much into Failure (don't hate them, but they aren't that exciting)... I'd likely be more stoked with a band I dug.
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

I was actually stoked to hear that there are only 100 VIP tickets. When I did the APC and Puscifer VIP there seemed to be at least 50 people in each and it didn't really effect the experience at all.

Now with Failure opening for Tool I really have no opinion. I have not heard any of there stuff and I hope it's good because I am seeing them at Maynard's bday concert in May also. I guess I need to start to YouTube Failure and see if I like it. :)
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Kittaan wrote:
hellboy wrote:Why do you prefer an evening with Tool? It doesn't make any difference to the length of the set...
I'm old and these are weeknight shows. Faster in and out plain and simple. Also, I'm not much into Failure (don't hate them, but they aren't that exciting)... I'd likely be more stoked with a band I dug.
But still, I don't think it will make any actual different to what time Tool start and finish. It didn't appear to when they were in Oz - they still went on stage at around 9:00 and finished at 11:00
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Plus a shitty DJ!
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

I enjoy Failure. I saw that YOB is going to be joining them as well for a few shows. but YOB sucks...oh wait....YOB is actually pretty good. sorry. I forgot myself.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Failure is mega generic and boring.

"Fantastic Planet is a great album!!"

No, no it's not. Generic and boring.

That's all I gotta say about that.
Hey! Denty!
3po1nt0
of Arimathea

Post by 3po1nt0 »

failure is fine by me. i've heard good things though have not heard them specifically. if i don't like the SF set i will know to skip SD and the cinquanta opening sets
3.1.97||7.11.97||7.3.98||8.15.01||11.24.02||4.30.06||9.7.06||9.8.06||7.14.07||12.10.07||12.14.07||8.22.09||7.18.10||7.19.10||3.12.14||3.16.14||10.31.15||1.9.16||6.17.17||10.20.19||10.21.19||1.18.22||10.8.23||2.14.24||2.15.24||2.17.24
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

YOB is opening for tool in Spokane, Portland and Eugene
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Just in case anyone missed it, they put up some extra tickets last night for tonight's show so its a good idea to check before any show you might need tickets for.
Hey! Denty!
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Ravenpig wrote:Just in case anyone missed it, they put up some extra tickets last night for tonight's show so its a good idea to check before any show you might need tickets for.

Most of the time extra tickets are released the day before or the day of the show. They are held back until then because the venue does not know how the bands equipment and stage show will block seating areas and views. Once they get the stage and equipment in place then they release the tickets.
Helpful tip of the week. 8-)
Professor of Lesbian Science
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

They are also good seats held by the band or promoter but not used so they are released.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I sort of knew that but I'd never seen a post on toolband about it. But cool.
Hey! Denty!
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Ravenpig wrote:I sort of knew that but I'd never seen a post on toolband about it. But cool.
I'm guessing they posted it because sales were slow for that show and they might need all the extra advertising they can to get those sold.
Professor of Lesbian Science
cahernandez
My pain is just an excuse

Post by cahernandez »

Do you know if cameras are allowed into the venue? I'm going to the Portland show and I'm thinking of taking this camera with me:

It's a point and shoot, but it's a really good one. Have never taken a camera into a Tool show, and I hear that camera policy for Tool is very strict.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Blair recent post bodes well for a good setlist:
Danny dialing in his custom built uber synth for tonight's show in Spokane. He will also be playing some drums.
No spoilers, but I had the privilege of seeing the first part of the show (instrumentals only) at the loft a couple of days ago, and I can say for certain that those in attendance are in for a real treat!

Check back for more photos as the tour evolves (and evolves is the key word).
I guess we'll know for sure in a few hours

markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Forgot all about that thing. There are a couple of shot vids on the YouTube with Danny and the guy who build it playing around on it.
I like to poop naked.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

He debuted it on the last tour. Looking forward to seeing it.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

What is it? Or what sounds does it do
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

xZ1mM3r wrote:What is it? Or what sounds does it do
It sounds like this:

xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

hellboy wrote:Blair recent post bodes well for a good setlist:
Danny dialing in his custom built uber synth for tonight's show in Spokane. He will also be playing some drums.
No spoilers, but I had the privilege of seeing the first part of the show (instrumentals only) at the loft a couple of days ago, and I can say for certain that those in attendance are in for a real treat!

Check back for more photos as the tour evolves (and evolves is the key word).
I guess we'll know for sure in a few hours

Evolves?? Changing setlist possibly?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Interesting to read that both Adam and Justin seem to have different guitar techs this time around. Aaron Harris is doing Danny as well, so none of the three seem to have their "regular" techs working with them. Will Maynard still be able to Schleyer?
RedRockGoddess
Maynard Believer

Post by RedRockGoddess »

cahernandez wrote:Do you know if cameras are allowed into the venue? I'm going to the Portland show and I'm thinking of taking this camera with me:

It's a point and shoot, but it's a really good one. Have never taken a camera into a Tool show, and I hear that camera policy for Tool is very strict.
I'd also be interested in knowing this..I've never seen Tool live before, Portland will be my first show (I'm pretty excited). What about phones? My phone takes pretty decent photo/video.. I'm also curious about the different merchandise they have available. I saw the pictures on the Spokane thread, but couldn't tell if that was ALL they had, or if there might have been more shirts.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Personally, I think taking a standalone camera to the show is asking for trouble regardless of what type of camera it is. Unless you're planning on sneaking it in, but if you're going to do that then there's no need to worry about the security policy in place (which should be outlined on your ticket or on the venues website). Phone's are fine, but expect security to flash lights at you unless you're using it discreetly.