General Tour Discussion Thread

Discuss Tool live shows both past and future
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Re: General Tour Discussion Thread

Post by The Boss »

xZ1mM3r wrote:Is there a possibility the album is further along than we think but they haven't practiced the tracks enough to perform them live while sounding good? I mean in a recent (recent being last July) Danny said they are working on a 20 min+ track, that involves multiple time sigs, And the interviewer reminded him that he would have to play it live and Danny laughed and put his face in his hands lol.

Just an idea
Um, no?
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

xZ1mM3r wrote:Is there a possibility the album is further along than we think but they haven't practiced the tracks enough to perform them live while sounding good? I mean in a recent (recent being last July) Danny said they are working on a 20 min+ track, that involves multiple time sigs, And the interviewer reminded him that he would have to play it live and Danny laughed and put his face in his hands lol.

Just an idea
I guess there is always some possibility, but I expect it's extremely unlikely.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

The Boss wrote:

Just an idea
Um, no?
Careful. Your asshole is showing lately
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
The Boss wrote:

Just an idea
Um, no?
I noticed how you didn't say the same thing to Hellboy, even though he said almost exactly the same thing.
Jool
My pain is just an excuse

Post by Jool »

It's obviously the doing of Boss' avatar. Anyhoo, I can truly say that I do not know what to expect from the next two shows. Although, I am aware of the consensus of this being the 10kdaystour pt.8 it will still be the first live Tool I have ever experienced.

Any insight?
#9[align=center]#9[/align][align=right]#9[/align]
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Jool wrote:It's obviously the doing of Boss' avatar. Anyhoo, I can truly say that I do not know what to expect from the next two shows. Although, I am aware of the consensus of this being the 10kdaystour pt.8 it will still be the first live Tool I have ever experienced.

Any insight?
First time? Read nothing up on the concerts and enjoy it.

Be sober.

Don't be afraid to go nuts.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

The Boss wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote:
The Boss wrote: Um, no?
I noticed how you didn't say the same thing to Hellboy, even though he said almost exactly the same thing.
Cause you always say shit to me in every other thread. You've become a douche bag to me. HB had a genuine answer, yours was just a smug response.
Jool

Post by Jool »

The Boss wrote:
Jool wrote:It's obviously the doing of Boss' avatar. Anyhoo, I can truly say that I do not know what to expect from the next two shows. Although, I am aware of the consensus of this being the 10kdaystour pt.8 it will still be the first live Tool I have ever experienced.

Any insight?

Be sober.

Thanks Boss, from the sounds of it I am on my way to a kickaas night. I have seen zero setlists. I plan on being sober for Cedar Park and duly noted about going nuts. Their music definitely lends to that reaction so I don't believe I will have much trouble going Ape.

Again, thank you.
ClarityUnity
Maynard Believer

Post by ClarityUnity »

Any insight?

Enjoy! Being that it's your 1st live Tool experience, my best advice would be this..

The visual aspects can be quite overwhelming, and frankly, pretty beautiful. It may initially send you into "shock". With that said, if possible, make sure you focus not only on the screens and lights. Watch Danny pound on the drums, FEEL the drums. Heck, even close your eyes for a few moments if you feel so inclined.

Just feel it, embrace it, enjoy it.

And for fuck sake, leave your cell phone in your pocket! A pic or two won't hurt, but stay in the moment, not behind a video screen.
This is gonna be cool, heh heh heh.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

ClarityUnity wrote: And for fuck sake, leave your cell phone in your pocket! A pic or two won't hurt, but stay in the moment, not behind a video screen.
This 1000%
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Jool wrote:
The Boss wrote:

Any insight?

Be sober.

Thanks Boss, from the sounds of it I am on my way to a kickaas night. I have seen zero setlists. I plan on being sober for Cedar Park and duly noted about going nuts. Their music definitely lends to that reaction so I don't believe I will have much trouble going Ape.

Again, thank you.
No worries. I hope you have a fantastic time.
Jool

Post by Jool »

ClarityUnity wrote:

Any insight?

Enjoy! Being that it's your 1st live Tool experience, my best advice would be this..

The visual aspects can be quite overwhelming, and frankly, pretty beautiful. It may initially send you into "shock". With that said, if possible, make sure you focus not only on the screens and lights. Watch Danny pound on the drums, FEEL the drums. Heck, even close your eyes for a few moments if you feel so inclined.

Just feel it, embrace it, enjoy it.

And for fuck sake, leave your cell phone in your pocket! A pic or two won't hurt, but stay in the moment, not behind a video screen.
I am happy you mentioned the light/screen show. Something tells me it is easy to be awestruck by the spectacle and I really don't mind but the music will be my main focus. Don't worry, I will have my phone in my car. I am not about the "digital eye".

I appreciate the advice guys. I will return with a review.
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

[quote="ClarityUnity"]

Stinkfist is an atrocious ending song btw.

I also think its a terrible closer.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I'm not blown away by it as a closer. I think it's chosen mostly because it suits the confetti a little better (I'm no huge fan of the confetti either).

I presume most of us would prefer something like Aenema, Lateralus or even Third Eye as the closer (though I think Third Eye makes a better opener).
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

hellboy wrote: I think it's chosen mostly because it suits the confetti a little better (I'm no huge fan of the confetti either)
Have there been any give-aways in the confetti this tour?
Professor of Lesbian Science
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

I enjoyed it as a closer, I just love the ending I guess.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

basejumper wrote:
hellboy wrote: I think it's chosen mostly because it suits the confetti a little better (I'm no huge fan of the confetti either)
I heard somebody got Hep B.
Don't mow your lawn
Jool

Post by Jool »

Stinkfist was a lively closer tonight at least. MjK's parting shot was the "take my...take my...take my h-CONFETTIIIi" *boom confetti shot to the grill*

Everyone left in a great mood except for the people tripping on petty stuff and the druggies.
More tomorrow, but suffice to say: this was an experience I will not soon forget.

Goodnight 4E.
Fanny Alger
Maynard Believer

Post by Fanny Alger »

In general I'm kinda worn out on Stinkfist, but I don't mind it live because of the little guitar solo Adam throws in. The tone he gets with that wah is unreal.
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

hellboy wrote:I'm not blown away by it as a closer. I think it's chosen mostly because it suits the confetti a little better (I'm no huge fan of the confetti either).

I presume most of us would prefer something like Aenema, Lateralus or even Third Eye as the closer (though I think Third Eye makes a better opener).
Third eye is an amazing opener, probably the best. But, I think it would be just as great of a closer. Aenema is good, but, just kind of over done, by the time their playing it im already nostalgic and thinking back at the show. Stinkfist just doesn't do it for me at all. Not only should it not be a closer, it should just be removed from setlists. Id be fine with Lateralus, its really the only staple I want to see everytime, with a jam, and great light show.
ClarityUnity
Maynard Believer

Post by ClarityUnity »

hellboy wrote:I'm not blown away by it as a closer. I think it's chosen mostly because it suits the confetti a little better (I'm no huge fan of the confetti either)
You very well may be right.. If the band is deciding on closing songs based on confetti, I think its time for them to re-evaluate their decision making processes lol..

Much better choices imo:

Flood
Right in Two
Lateralus
Aenema
Eulogy
Parabola

Lateralus can never get old. (Unless they destroy it with a 20 minute drum-off in the middle.) Aenema will always work but I agree with others, its a bit too obvious as an ender.
This is gonna be cool, heh heh heh.
Jool

Post by Jool »

Hooker with a Penis
teedub
Bronco's Fan

Post by teedub »

basejumper wrote:
The confetti is the discarded golden tickets from the Opiate reissue. Piece it all together and claim your prize.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

basejumper wrote:
No give-aways, but there have been hand-written words on some of the pieces. Might do a "golden ticket" setlist piece amongst the red squares for the last show today.
zander
Bronco's Fan

Post by zander »

Artist: Tool, Failure
Venue: Las Vegas, NV – The Axis At Planet Hollywood
Date: Mar. 15th, 2014
Gross Sales: $541,705
Attendance/Capacity: 6,373 / 6,373
Ticket Prices: $80

Artist: Tool, Failure
Venue: Selland Arena – Fresno, CA