General Tour Discussion Thread

Discuss Tool live shows both past and future
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: General Tour Discussion Thread

Post by hellboy »

Yep, Cosmic Psycho's died a little to me when I saw their name on the lineup. It's almost as bad as seeing a band play at a winery.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

What's so bad with hotter than hell ? I haven't attended one but it's generally iconic Aussie bands on the line up in the genre of punk or rock. Why wouldn't cosmic play there?
Listen to All Them Witches
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I never heard of it before.

Motor Ace? :lol:
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

I think it's more regional based. Have never been to one coz the line up has never make me feel compelled to drive 4 hours, but this year has frenzal, unwritten law , everclear. Last year had spiderbait. When ya live in the part of the world I do that's sadly pretty damn exciting. I wouldn't class any of those bands as Bogan.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I wouldn't class them as bogan, just shit

Edit: I'm being unfair - they're not all terrible bands. Just I feel like the festival is so strongly geared at nostalgia, if find it super uninteresting. As much as I like to see the occasional bunch of old farts reforming for the money, I find it hard to take a festival lineup seriously that only makes a token effort to include any band that it new and interesting. Concerts that appeal to boomers or Gen Xers who never otherwise support the music scene feel like a complete waste of everyone's time.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

I guess that's the difference between city vs regional living. We are starved of live music so I think these type of gigs are geared toward our audience. Unfortunately so many Aussie or international bands don't bother coming this way so we rely on these types of shows and take what we can get.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

hellboy wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:57 am Concerts that appeal to boomers or Gen Xers who never otherwise support the music scene feel like a complete waste of everyone's time.
The line up for Hotter than Hell to me at least seems to be trying to drag in people to relive their youth, not people who never supported the music scene. Hell I saw a few of these bands at 18-19, Unwritten Law at the time I had some idea who they were but after seeing them live in a small venue I thought they were the coolest band in the world.

Like I said, I was 18.
Canned audience laughter
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Sorry I reread your post Hellboy, legacy acts are always going to be a massive part of the symbiosis of live music, what came before will feed what comes after.

You want people to let go of the past and feed the new acts but that's for the kids to do not for you, the majority will always want to hear the music from their youth and there is nothing wrong with that, enjoy the Tool tour in Feb old man!
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

tys0n wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:13 am Sorry I reread your post Hellboy, legacy acts are always going to be a massive part of the symbiosis of live music, what came before will feed what comes after.
I don't doubt that, after all this site focuses on one of those legacy acts.

But at least a more "credible" festival like Soundwave or Download actually features a few bands that are new or could otherwise be considered "modern".
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

I understand if you have no interest yourself in attending these mini fests (as I say I haven't gone to one myself). But to start out calling it a Bogan fest and then call it a waste of everyone's time and compare it to Soundwave or download is a pretty substantial stretch.

What may be a waste of your time is a dream line up to someone else. These bands are still together and there's obviously a market for them to play, so I have no dramas whatsoever about it. Play on I say.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I don't remember calling it a bogan festival.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Must have been Liz only who referred to it as a Bogan fest.

If Puscifer play at a winery will that be looked down upon poorly or is that a loophole ?
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

hellboy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:42 pm My idea of what a VIP could/should entail:
  • Free/VIP parking if the venue demands it
  • On arrival guests are taken to a suite, where there are chairs, food and a bar (make it no booze if you're worried about people getting hammered). Any downtime should be spent here (we all understand that touring schedules can be chaotic, so times when nothing is happening is expected).
  • Get out there for a soundcheck of some form (don't care if Maynard is or isn't involved)
  • Give the fans the opportunity to get up on stage and view the venue from a different angle
  • Get someone to talk to the fans about the show - a band member, Junior, tour manager, whoever is available. Someone who can tell a story and share the experience
  • Give the VIPs first crack at merchandise, especially posters since they seem to be the hot items. Surely at least unsigned ones can be made available
  • Excellent seats (hopefully goes without saying)
  • Water the fern
Vacuum Guy is probably available. Less carpet = more free time.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Judging by how much Tool fans complain you could say most of their concerts happen in a whineary, also I'm pertty sure that's the collective noun for them.
Canned audience laughter
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:19 pm Must have been Liz only who referred to it as a Bogan fest.

If Puscifer play at a winery will that be looked down upon poorly or is that a loophole ?
I may have, I certainly said it was feral! I went, it was.

Puscifer at a winery however, sounds like a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon. I'm in!
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:19 pm If Puscifer play at a winery will that be looked down upon poorly or is that a loophole ?
I'd be disappointed if Tool or Puscifer ever appeared on some "Day at the Green" winery thing with Jimmy Barnes or something
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

liz wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:40 pm
Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:19 pm Must have been Liz only who referred to it as a Bogan fest.

I may have, I certainly said it was feral! I went, it was.

Puscifer at a winery however, sounds like a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon. I'm in!
Don't you for one second pretend you didn't call it Bogan :lol:

And I would also gave no qualms about Puscifer playing a winery. Nice open space in nature with booze and good music. Count me in.

And Tyson with jokes like that, have you recently become a dad ?
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Not that I'm aware of.
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

About that. The tests came back, Bob is your son
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

But he's 5 years older than me?

Must have blown a load at 88 miles per hour.
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

🤣🤣🤣
alteridiom
Bronco's Fan

Post by alteridiom »

Ticketmaster down or just me?
fortysixand2

Post by fortysixand2 »

Website's down, app's down. Trying the phone line now.
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

This is my first time in years not trying for tickets... feels very strange. Hope you all get some great seats tho.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Wow.... I am blown away at how fucking far back "Platinum" tix go. I got a decent seat, at a reasonable (I guess - $170 with fees) price for Fresno (after an anxiety inducing "you have 2000 people ahead of you in the queue" 10 minutes). Went to SD to see availability and was floored to see $325 to over $500 for seats going back to the mixing board?!? WTF are they doing here? It's so over the top these days.

Hope everybody fared well.
Ki77aan :twisted: