General Tour Discussion Thread

Discuss Tool live shows both past and future
dickleiper
of Arimathea

Post by dickleiper »

funnily enough, when i asked her she couldnt even remember what she'd suggested as an idea!

Frontier Touring obviously thought it was great!
Parse
Maynard Believer

Post by Parse »

I visited the printer who produced the posters of Adam's artwork for the 2011 tour.  Sadly he hasn't been contracted to produce any for this tour.  Doesn't mean there wont be any just that they wont come from where they did in 2011.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Parse said
I visited the printer who produced the posters of Adam's artwork for the 2011 tour.  Sadly he hasn't been contracted to produce any for this tour.  Doesn't mean there wont be any just that they wont come from where they did in 2011.

I sure hope whoever does the posters for this leg of the tour is up to speed on how to misspell the months... Or maybe they'll switch it up and fuck up on days of the week?  I'm hoping for a Munday, or maybe a Frydai?  Fingers crossed!

Ki77aan :twisted:
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

There last sideshows in Aus were an "evening with" & the sets weren't any longer so can't see anything different happening this time. 

Hey Hellboy, are you going to be creating individual threads for each city to avoid spoilers, or should I just stay clear of this thread once they start gigging? Am hoping to avoid knowing the general set list in hope of some surprises.. 
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Busty McCracken said
There last sideshows in Aus were an "evening with" & the sets weren't any longer so can't see anything different happening this time. 

Last time they were in Oz Jakob supported.  The time before that (2007) the Sydney show had no support act but the Melbourne show has a last minute one (Shapeshifter from memory who I think as a NZ hip hop act?).

I'll be pretty surprised if the sets are significantly longer than any other Tool show.

Hey Hellboy, are you going to be creating individual threads for each city to avoid spoilers, or should I just stay clear of this thread once they start gigging? Am hoping to avoid knowing the general set list in hope of some surprises.. 

Yes, will start creating them tomorrow.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Parse said

Thanks Parse - I actually sent an email off to John today asking more or less the same question.  From memory Adam was really impressed with the quality of the prints for that tour, so if he hasn't been contacted to do the posters, then my gut feeling is there won't be any.

In regards to the typo - the printer noticed it as soon as he got the copy from Adam, however the master posters arrived so late in the process there was no time to get Adam to fix it.  As far as I heard the Australian printers (Beyond The Pale) had no input on the poster design - it was 100% done by Adam/Tool.
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

No thank you. We don't want the likes of Grinspoon or Regurgitator dumbing the evening down for us.

Sleepmakeswaves would be an ideal opener for Tool. The best instrumental band in the world atm in my opinion.

It's kind of interesting that Blair would share that tidbit about Maynard traveling with the manager and not the other band members. Is he trying to tell us something?

Also, this is my first Tool show in well over a decade so are binoculars permitted?

trustinmeandfall
My pain is just an excuse

Post by trustinmeandfall »

hellboy1975 said

Parse said

Thanks Parse - I actually sent an email off to John today asking more or less the same question.  From memory Adam was really impressed with the quality of the prints for that tour, so if he hasn't been contacted to do the posters, then my gut feeling is there won't be any.

In regards to the typo - the printer noticed it as soon as he got the copy from Adam, however the master posters arrived so late in the process there was no time to get Adam to fix it.  As far as I heard the Australian printers (Beyond The Pale) had no input on the poster design - it was 100% done by Adam/Tool.

HB you think there's a possibility there won't be any posters? Has that happened at a concert before? 
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy1975 said

Yep, I remember this.  But it wasn't going to stop me from getting out my schtick.

trustinmeandfall said

HB you think there's a possibility there won't be any posters? Has that happened at a concert before? 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there is precedence for this, but don't have the details.  As I remember, there were entire legs of tours with no posters.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Blast Tyrant
Maynard Believer

Post by Blast Tyrant »

Look at these comments about an opening band,lolz. Their finally doing an evening with tool tour and it will have an extended set. You aussies don't deserve this. Come back and do this stateside Tool, they obviously don't want you playing there unless you got some garbage local band opening for ya. We'll take that special gift and appreciate it. Don't waste it on those ungrateful "fans" down there.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

trustinmeandfall said 

I don't think it's happened recently, but I know on the last Oz tour a couple of the shows missed out on posters.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

doors said 
Sleepmakeswaves would be an ideal opener for Tool. The best instrumental band in the world atm in my opinion.

Not so sure about that - I saw them last year and didn't think they did anything to stand out from the current instrumental post-rock glut of bands.

It's kind of interesting that Blair would share that tidbit about Maynard traveling with the manager and not the other band members. Is he trying to tell us something?

Maybe, it's not much of a revelation though.  Maynard has been doing this for years.  They do have a new tour manager this time around I'm told.

Also, this is my first Tool show in well over a decade so are binoculars permitted?

I would expect so, but only the venue could really answer this question.  I remember taking a pair to the Sydney show in 2001 and had no problems getting it in, and I didn't have to try and smuggle them - security just asked to take a look.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Tool love money so I'd say there will be posters. Also Flynn Gower has a new band which is actually good and would be perfect opener.
Busty McCracken

hellboy1975 said

Busty McCracken said

Last time they were in Oz Jakob supported.  The time before that (2007) the Sydney show had no support act but the Melbourne show has a last minute one (Shapeshifter from memory who I think as a NZ hip hop act?).

I'll be pretty surprised if the sets are significantly longer than any other Tool show.

Yes, will start creating them tomorrow.

Ahh righto, I must be getting Syd 07 mixed up with Brisbane 11 show. 

And what's flynns new project , Tyson? Haven't heard anything about it..
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Ha, I heard it on Triple J with the Dr 2 days ago, searched for it on the internet and nothing, I think I may be going crazy.

Wait

http://theaandrdepartment.com/the-occup ... -thinking/

phew

Busty McCracken

Luke's involved too!! Outstanding! Can't listen at work, ill give her a bash this arvo... Cheers
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

This is me listening to it for the 3rd time today

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Tyson said
Ha, I heard it on Triple J with the Dr 2 days ago, searched for it on the internet and nothing, I think I may be going crazy.

http://theaandrdepartment.com/the-occup ... -thinking/

Just had a listen.  Glad he's trying something a little different.  I'll listen to the rest of his work with some interest, but that track didn't do much for me.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Threads for the first 3 shows are up (just in case you missed them). I'll add threads for the remaining shows this evening!
Busty McCracken

Tyson said
This is me listening to it for the 3rd time today

Funny, I always assumed you'd look different to that..

And cheers Hellboy.. Here's hoping for some nice surprises in the set & some tunes I haven't seen live  before.. 
Parse
Maynard Believer

Post by Parse »

hellboy1975 said

Parse said

John said he would love to have done a poster for them last time and again for this tour......

His advice was that there would be one, just not from him
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

hellboy1975 said

doors said 

Not so sure about that - I saw them last year and didn't think they did anything to stand out from the current instrumental post-rock glut of bands.

Maybe, it's not much of a revelation though.  Maynard has been doing this for years.  They do have a new tour manager this time around I'm told.

I would expect so, but only the venue could really answer this question.  I remember taking a pair to the Sydney show in 2001 and had no problems getting it in, and I didn't have to try and smuggle them - security just asked to take a look.

Thanks HB.

trustinmeandfall
My pain is just an excuse

Post by trustinmeandfall »

hellboy1975 said

trustinmeandfall said 

I don't think it's happened recently, but I know on the last Oz tour a couple of the shows missed out on posters.

Hopefully that won't be the case with any of the shows on this tour! 

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Parse said 
John said he would love to have done a poster for them last time and again for this tour......

His advice was that there would be one, just not from him

Well that's good news for poster collectors then!