Tool - 27th April 2013 - Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne, VIC

badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

^^^^  What they said!!!!
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

I'd be just fine with an instrumental concert.  In fact I think it'd be cool if Maynard didn't show up at all.
UsefulIdiot8665
Maynard Believer

Post by UsefulIdiot8665 »

I was GA for this show, and basically if you were too close the sound was bullshit. I'd say for at least 50% of the set it was near impossible to hear Maynard. Once they hit intermission, we decided to move back and it was a lot better. 

Adam seemed to be having troubles with his pedals, as he looked quite pissed for most of the show and kept fiddling with his pedalboard. As for Maynard, he screwed up Vicarious and Lateralus. He walked off before singing the end of Lateralus which was annoying. But at the same time, he's been travelling like a mofo. 

Kinda paid money though, to see him perform, you know. Needs to lift his game if he's not sick, and if he is, damnit.

Once they had their break, they flew through and nailed it. Highlight was probably Sober, and while I could barely hear Maynard; Pushit.

46 & 2 was sah good.

Overall, hoping that this show was just a bad night for them, and that the rest of the shows will go off much better. Going to Sydney as well, with any luck it'll have better sound (as I'm in seats, so yeah, its expected, right?). But yeah. Not bad, but a let down.

badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

UsefulIdiot8665 said
I was GA for this show, and basically if you were too close the sound was bullshit. I'd say for at least 50% of the set it was near impossible to hear Maynard. Once they hit intermission, we decided to move back and it was a lot better. 

Adam seemed to be having troubles with his pedals, as he looked quite pissed for most of the show and kept fiddling with his pedalboard. As for Maynard, he screwed up Vicarious and Lateralus. He walked off before singing the end of Lateralus which was annoying. But at the same time, he's been travelling like a mofo. 

Kinda paid money though, to see him perform, you know. Needs to lift his game if he's not sick, and if he is, damnit.

Once they had their break, they flew through and nailed it. Highlight was probably Sober, and while I could barely hear Maynard; Pushit.

46 & 2 was sah good.

Overall, hoping that this show was just a bad night for them, and that the rest of the shows will go off much better. Going to Sydney as well, with any luck it'll have better sound (as I'm in seats, so yeah, its expected, right?). But yeah. Not bad, but a let down.

Don't make excuses for him.  He has been behaving in this manner for a few years now.  I'm glad you enjoyed the show!  I'm hoping they change the set list for the second Melbourne show.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

UsefulIdiot8665 said

46 & 2 was sah good.

Aaaaand, I'm done.

Thanks for everything, TOOL. We had a good time. But I'll never pay to see you live, ever. And I'll never pay any amount of money for anything you, or related acts, put out ever again.

That is fucking unconscionable. That's disgusting.

For the record, if you can't do it, don't bother. I'm pissed as a TOOL fan that my brothers and sisters had to pay money for a below sub-par display of ineptitude.

Done.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
derogatory
Maynard Believer

Post by derogatory »

Hotdog said

lipanconjuring said
I figured they would drop an Opiate track or two as well, in timing with the reissue and whatnot. Guess not.

I was hoping for an Opiate track too, esp Cold and Ugly. 

Did anyone notice that HWAP had like an alien voice mod added to Maynards voice with the megaphone? I sneeked in a Zoom H2n and recorded the whole concert and just listening to it now i can def hear it. Right at the end of the song, when the music stops, Maynard says something and its def there.

ive been lurking here often for quite a while but this has pulled me in for a number of reasons.

upload that shit immediately?

Ettan
Fanboi

Post by Ettan »

Worst show i've ever attended. It was so bad, only fanboys would like this performance. but it fucking blew!!!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Anton said
Worst show i've ever attended. It was so bad, only fanboys would like this performance. but it fucking blew!!!

Worst Tool show?  Or worst concert in general?
Don't mow your lawn
Ettan
Fanboi

Post by Ettan »

UndKeineEier said

Anton said

Worst Tool show?  Or worst concert in general?

worst show in general, I had never seen Tool before. Even volbeat was better live than Tool.. oh well, at least the screens were cool. 
lipanconjuring
of Arimathea

Post by lipanconjuring »

I see more and more comments after subpar performances these days like, "well at least the lasers were cool" but I just wonder if you actually stripped the lasers and bullshit away and watched and totally digested one of their shows in 2013, how good would it actually be. There was a time when all this band needed to blow up every head in the audience was a dark club stage and some speakers.

Lasers and lights and shit can be fun, but they supplement an already solid show, they don't make a below average show an awesome one. I'm just consistently left with an impression that as these guys get older and their performances become shakier (namely Maynard's) they just keep gluing more extraneous bullshit to their live show to make up for it. Concertgoers just want to hear some solid live music at the end of it all, no? I don't know.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Lot of flying off the handle from people who weren't there/have no idea what techdifficulties were going on...
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I've seen people piss and moan about pretty decent shows before and every band has off nights. Especially first night of a tour with that kind of travel. 
derogatory
Maynard Believer

Post by derogatory »

lipanconjuring said
I see more and more comments after subpar performances these days like, "well at least the lasers were cool" but I just wonder if you actually stripped the lasers and bullshit away and watched and totally digested one of their shows in 2013, how good would it actually be. There was a time when all this band needed to blow up every head in the audience was a dark club stage and some speakers.

as soon as hotdogs done uploading the entire set he recorded we can see.

I'm curious myself.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

joeypants said
I've seen people piss and moan about pretty decent shows before and every band has off nights. Especially first night of a tour with that kind of travel. 

Fair enough. Hopefully you will remember me sticking up for the 'Nard with regard to travel issues/adjusting to temperature differences.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

toolphishdhs said
thing is. MJK has been in Australia for over a week. so how is the travel the issue?

Ah. Kind of forgot that.

Huh.

Whatever. I feel, as a member of the TOOL fanbase, that I should be allowed to say that I'm disappointed that my brothers and sisters didn't get the product that they paid for.

The Jo-Jo brought in some perspective, but still . . .

njbrey15
Maynard Believer

Post by njbrey15 »

LOL @ the guy who said "volbeat" was a better live band than Tool.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

njbrey15 said
LOL @ the guy who said "volbeat" was a better live band than Tool.

Feel free to give your input.

N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

does anyone think the 2nd show will be leaps and bounds better as with most of the tour openers? that seems to be the pattern.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Ettan
Fanboi

Post by Ettan »

(Some) Tool fans are idiots, seriously. I haven't been on a Tool show before and I had expectations that they would put on a killer show, like the rest of the people that attended. Now, think about it in this way. I have never ever seen Tool live before, came to the venue and thought that adam would rock out and headbang a bit, maynard would do his dances, justin would rock out (as he actually did) and danny smashing his drums, witch he also did. But the thing is that, watching a performance were the band members stands completely still, no one does anything until they have to switch effect and or walk 5 feet is really boring to watch. Justin however rocked out and seemed to enjoy the show, but adam? He didn't even move at all!! same thing with Maynard. I guess I don't see the things you guys do. If they didn't have their screens and their lasers, they would be the most boring act in the world. 

Volbeat sucks, but I watched them at a festival so I had no choice but to check them out, they were better than Tool live. 

For gods sake now, think about it. Just think about as if you had never seen a Tool show before and didn't know what do expect and the things that would come. Think about it. 
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

NYHC81 said
does anyone think the 2nd show will be leaps and bounds better as with most of the tour openers? that seems to be the pattern.

That sets a scary precedent. We're better off waiting for the "second" show, than going for the first?

God help you if you live in the city that hosts the first concert.

rzrbck79
Maynard Believer

Post by rzrbck79 »

Anton said
(Some) Tool fans are idiots, seriously. I haven't been on a Tool show before and I had expectations that they would put on a killer show, like the rest of the people that attended. Now, think about it in this way. I have never ever seen Tool live before, came to the venue and thought that adam would rock out and headbang a bit, maynard would do his dances, justin would rock out (as he actually did) and danny smashing his drums, witch he also did. But the thing is that, watching a performance were the band members stands completely still, no one does anything until they have to switch effect and or walk 5 feet is really boring to watch. Justin however rocked out and seemed to enjoy the show, but adam? He didn't even move at all!! same thing with Maynard. I guess I don't see the things you guys do. If they didn't have their screens and their lasers, they would be the most boring act in the world. 

Volbeat sucks, but I watched them at a festival so I had no choice but to check them out, they were better than Tool live. 

For gods sake now, think about it. Just think about as if you had never seen a Tool show before and didn't know what do expect and the things that would come. Think about it. 

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Anton said

Are you being meta? Because if so, nice job.