Tool - 27th April 2013 - Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne, VIC

Hotdog
Fanboi

Post by Hotdog »

I can confirm that Maynard was actually sick on stage Sat night. He threw up a bit so must have been hard to pull a show in good order
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

From the above mentioned torrent comments:

#5927396 by eonblue at 2013-04-28 22:50:36 GMT

setlist on the 2nd night

01.Hooker With A Penis
02.OPIATE!!!
03.Sober
04.Schism 
05.Pushit
06.Intension
07.Lateralus
08.Jambi
09.Forty-six & 2
10.Ænema 
11.Stinkfist

and MJK was spot on on every fuckin` song so i think the first night was just being the curse of the first gig on new tour. I guess we can expect more great stuff for the rest of the tour, maybe like they said some new songs aswell!!! fingers crossed

Don`t count them out just yet.

Hopefully someone recorded the 2nd night.

Ki77aan :twisted:
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

That set list makes me feel like I've wasted $140.00, oh well at least I have low expectations now.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Tyson said
That set list makes me feel like I've wasted $140.00, oh well at least I have low expectations now.

The tour should have been called "TOOL'S GREATEST HITS TOUR".

Very bland, I agree. "Flood"? "H"?

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

None of those songs even make my top ten, not one
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Fasterlouder.com has posted a review of the show.

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/reviews/ ... ne-2742013

Mon 29th Apr, 2013 in Gig Reviews

JOHN DEAN joined the flocks of TOOL worshipers at Rod Laver in hope of hearing some new material from the prog legends. Photos by KATIE FAIRSERVICE.

“Tonight’s show is similar in nature to an opera or film. Any disturbances in the audience will compromise the quality of the performance”, read the sign above the congested lines entering Rod Laver Arena for Tool.

Through the PA system another message was played on loop, warning that any patrons recording the performance, or taking photos, faced the threat of eviction. Fans were swiped with metal detectors as they entered and asked about the contents of their pockets. A Tool crowd isn’t unruly or violent by any degree. In fact, those in the seated sections remained mostly seated throughout the show. All these measures seemed unnecessarily difficult, but then again Tool don’t have a reputation for being easy.

The thud of a bass drum palpitating like a heartbeat echoed through Rod Laver Arena, as Maynard James Keenan arrived – a megaphone slung over one shoulder – to his position beside Danny Carey’s kit. On the backdrop were etched images of elongated faces. Giant screens hung on either side of the stage, while another stretched like a banner above it. They played a mixture of clips and imagery from Tool’s music videos, as well as kaleidoscopic visions of Rorschach patterns, insects, and embryos.

Set opener ‘Hooker With A Penis’ illustrated what the audience already knew: Tool is, by and large, one of the most technically proficient bands touring today. As individual musicians, each member is at the top of the game in their respective fields.

“Hands up who’s on drugs,” Maynard asked. “It’s illegal,” he murmured moments later – the first of two interactions he had with the crowd all evening. He is an enigmatic figure, part of an image of “perfection” carefully cultivated over the past two decades; so when he missed a beat during the second verse of ‘Vicarious’ – dropping and fumbling a couple of lines – it was almost a relief to see the “human” Maynard emerge.

Given that ‘Sober’ is the only trackfrom their debut record Undertow to make an appearance, the presence of ‘Intension’ from 2006’s 10,000 Days, seemed like an odd choice. It is a song that builds but lacks a payoff, and for the first, and only time, of the night the crowd seemed to be tolerating, rather than celebrating.

The light show was a behemoth of its own: lasers positioned at each end of Rod Laver Arena creating grids above the crowd. Visually, there was never a moment left wanting throughout the two hours Tool was on stage. During ‘Lateralus’ I spotted a woman on the floor fall out of her wheelchair. As she convulsed, security rushed over and paramedics were called; it appeared she was having a seizure.

After a 12-minute intermission Danny Carey returned to the stage alone. Ominous tones warped between the speakers and as they faded he treated the audience to a solo drum performance. Like everything he had done throughout the evening, not a single tap or beat seemed accidental. Carey is a master drummer and in these moments he is bigger than his reputation.

‘Forty Six & 2’ climaxed with more power than anything in the hour that proceeded it, and ‘Ænema’ levelled the crowd like no other Tool song could. Lyrically, it packs so much frustration and aggression that one’s mood can’t remain unaltered by its conclusion.

“Thank you, see you tomorrow”, Maynard said before the monster riff of ‘Stinkfist’ consumed the arena. Once again, it was impeccable: the musicianship, vocals, and visuals. The night was nothing if not consistent in its quality. Maynard exited as soon as the song concluded, but the rest of the band walked back and forth across the stage, acknowledging the crowd and enjoying the adoration. They showed gratitude in a manner Maynard is unwilling, or incapable, to indulge.

Throughout the evening musical interludes and introductions teased the audience with the possibility of hearing new material. Their performance was in no way lacking, the audience no less satisfied, but they have toured Australia three times since the release of their last record, 2006’s 10,000 Days, so it would have been nice to hear something we hadn’t heard before. That would have been the easy thing to do, but Tool aren’t known for being easy.

ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

badkittygothgirl said
It is the best of the ones the photog took of Danny.  There are a couple that look like he is taking a shit.

When a drummers face looks as if in mid-shit, 

that is a good thing.

Besides, if Danny Carey was to crash at your place 

and all of a sudden say to you, "I wanna take a dump on chest, my kitty" you 

KNOW you'd do it!

You KNOW!

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

“Tonight’s show is similar in nature to an opera or film. Any disturbances in the audience will compromise the quality of the performance”, read the sign above the congested lines entering Rod Laver Arena for Tool.

Pretentious wankers

During ‘Lateralus’ I spotted a woman on the floor fall out of her wheelchair. As she convulsed, security rushed over and paramedics were called; it appeared she was having a seizure.

LOL
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

Yeah, he fucked Vicarious....

HOWEVER...the band fucken nailed:

Sober

Aenema

Stinkfist

And Jambi - especially the talkbox solo - had people (at least those seated around me) orgasming in their seats.

And is there any confirmation that Maynard was sick or are we just guessing at this stage.?
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

I have confirmation that Maynard was feeling under the weather.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Their performance was in no way lacking, the audience no less satisfied, but they have toured Australia three times since the release of their last record, 2006’s 10,000 Days, so it would have been nice to hear something we hadn’t heard before. That would have been the easy thing to do, but Tool aren’t known for being easy.

If their performance is supposed to be like a film, would this gig have been akin to rewatching an old favourite; rather than seeing a brand new blockbuster?

Because I don't know why people keep making excuses for a band who play the same songs every time they tour in Australia/New Zealand. "TOOL aren't known for being easy." OK, nice cop-out. Sure, it would've been a fun night, but more of a novelty than an actual performance.

It really doesn't seem like I'm missing out on much, but I'm glad everyone has had fun so far . . .
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Tyson said
“Tonight’s show is similar in nature to an opera or film. Any disturbances in the audience will compromise the quality of the performance”, read the sign above the congested lines entering Rod Laver Arena for Tool.

Pretentious wankers

During ‘Lateralus’ I spotted a woman on the floor fall out of her wheelchair. As she convulsed, security rushed over and paramedics were called; it appeared she was having a seizure.

LOL

My sentiments exactly

and hoefully it wasn't the same gal next to me and the mrs. upfront early on... one of the nights highlights was moving aside so a woman in wheelchair could roll up and hoist herself up on the barrier for a few tunes... I'd of put her on my shoulders if she asked.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

Tyson said

you absolutely did not waste your money... quit being a wanker or I'm gonna tell everyone you see all your shows in melbourne... pushit alone was damn near worth my money on the night
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

petemasterpete said

Tyson said

quit being a wanker or I'm gonna tell everyone you see all your shows in melbourne...

What?

Also does anyone know yet what they played at the soundchecks?
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

Tyson said

petemasterpete said

Tyson said

quit being a wanker or I'm gonna tell everyone you see all your shows in melbourne...

What?

Also does anyone know yet what they played at the soundchecks?

your "low expectations" sentiment reminds me of my fairly well documented opinion of the general melbourne concert goer... maybe you could also consider clapping between sighs in the event you're actually interested in the show you're at.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I rarely clap anyway and if it is it's a sarcastic slow clap

Huh, I just realised why people think I'm a cunt

Anyways I'm glad I spoiled it for myself, better to go in knowing you're not getting anything special then going in expecting a huge surprise and getting let down.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

Tyson said

Anyways I'm glad I spoiled it for myself, better to go in knowing you're not getting anything special then going in expecting a huge surprise and getting let down.

I guess my question would be what is to be expected from tool at this point that we aren't already aware of?

Either way, I hope you do enjoy the show because regardless of what's been said, I quite enjoyed the show and don't feel slighted at all, granted, I also didn't pay $150 for a 20 year old CD 
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Tyson said

There are plenty of other reasons, too, dude.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Notquite OGT
Maynard Believer

Post by Notquite OGT »

New here.  Sorry, after reading the last eight pages, I can't help but come to the conclusion that there are some rather harsh 'fans' out there.

Only missed one Melbourne TOOL show since they started touring here over a decade ago, and knew what to expect.  I wasn't disappointed or feeling ripped off.  Adam was wonderfully Adam, Danny was naffin' awesome as per usual, and Justin and that bass--keep strummin' man! And Maynard?  Needs no explanation.  The man is a law unto himself. Good.

I went to the first show at Rod Laver and thought it was perfectly typically TOOL.  The problem was the shit sound at Rod Laver, but that goes with any act I've seen at that place, except the tennis!

Maynard was sick; saw him heaving over the back of the stage during Lateralus--my fave!  Poor dude. Yeah, yeah, some say he's an arrogant shit who deserves it...  Lighten up!  If you want blood, go see Ozzie. I, personally, think his persona is an attraction.  After all these years, you oughta know, man!  (Tell me, who goes to the concerts and hopes that this time he's going to get all chatty--like as in Puscifer?)

As for the play list; I'm not complaining there either.  Considering the stuff has been on high rotation in my ears for the past 20 years, its nice to 'watch' it as well.  'Push it' was another highlight.  Would have loved to hear Ticks and Leeches--would have been appropriate to some of the comments posted above.

Can't get enough TOOL--ever!
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

NYHC81 said
does anyone think the 2nd show will be leaps and bounds better as with most of the tour openers? that seems to be the pattern.

can't believe I'm quoting myself, but here it goes. was the 2nd show better? Opiate, wow!!

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

NYHC81 said

NYHC81 said
does anyone think the 2nd show will be leaps and bounds better as with most of the tour openers? that seems to be the pattern.

can't believe I'm quoting myself, but here it goes. was the 2nd show better? Opiate, wow!!

wish I could have been at night two to tell you... a few posts in the 28th show thread allude to that fact, and I'd assume from some persepective that after knocking the dust off night one, two should presumably be a little better, but anyone who didn't enjoy night one is deaf, dumb and blind or sitting down for the entirety, in my not so humble opinion.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Notquite OGT said
New here.  Sorry, after reading the last eight pages, I can't help but come to the conclusion that there are some rather harsh 'fans' out there.

Only missed one Melbourne TOOL show since they started touring here over a decade ago, and knew what to expect.  I wasn't disappointed or feeling ripped off.  Adam was wonderfully Adam, Danny was naffin' awesome as per usual, and Justin and that bass--keep strummin' man! And Maynard?  Needs no explanation.  The man is a law unto himself. Good.

I went to the first show at Rod Laver and thought it was perfectly typically TOOL.  The problem was the shit sound at Rod Laver, but that goes with any act I've seen at that place, except the tennis!

Maynard was sick; saw him heaving over the back of the stage during Lateralus--my fave!  Poor dude. Yeah, yeah, some say he's an arrogant shit who deserves it...  Lighten up!  If you want blood, go see Ozzie. I, personally, think his persona is an attraction.  After all these years, you oughta know, man!  (Tell me, who goes to the concerts and hopes that this time he's going to get all chatty--like as in Puscifer?)

As for the play list; I'm not complaining there either.  Considering the stuff has been on high rotation in my ears for the past 20 years, its nice to 'watch' it as well.  'Push it' was another highlight.  Would have loved to hear Ticks and Leeches--would have been appropriate to some of the comments posted above.

Can't get enough TOOL--ever!

Welcome to the Insane Asylum, NotquiteOGT!  Don't mind the jaded bunch, myself included sometimes.  We are all fans and still come here whether it is to rave about our fave band or bitch about them.  I'll just give you a little heads up and tell you now to stay far away from the Grudge Thready.  Don't say you haven't been warned. 
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Wish I got seats now so I could sit and enjoy the experience, oh well
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

wow. from this video they looked and sounded GREAT!!!! love the lighting, lazers and screens. I thought they were teasing "Killing In The Name Of" at the end, that would've been insane.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.