Tool - 27th April 2013 - Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne, VIC

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Which is pretty fucked. I would expect nothing less than THE MELVINS rocking my fucking world were I to buy a ticket to see them.

I've seen TOOL twice, and I know what to expect. It's all about the music, maaaaaan. OK, cool. So, deliver.

Apparently they didn't tonight, for whatever reason; and I hate to say it, but that's just more fuel . . .
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Ettan
Fanboi

Post by Ettan »

toolphishdhs said

Anton said
(Some) Tool fans are idiots, seriously. I haven't been on a Tool show before and I had expectations that they would put on a killer show, like the rest of the people that attended. Now, think about it in this way. I have never ever seen Tool live before, came to the venue and thought that adam would rock out and headbang a bit, maynard would do his dances, justin would rock out (as he actually did) and danny smashing his drums, witch he also did. But the thing is that, watching a performance were the band members stands completely still, no one does anything until they have to switch effect and or walk 5 feet is really boring to watch. Justin however rocked out and seemed to enjoy the show, but adam? He didn't even move at all!! same thing with Maynard. I guess I don't see the things you guys do. If they didn't have their screens and their lasers, they would be the most boring act in the world. 

Volbeat sucks, but I watched them at a festival so I had no choice but to check them out, they were better than Tool live. 

For gods sake now, think about it. Just think about as if you had never seen a Tool show before and didn't know what do expect and the things that would come. Think about it. 

I feel you might have had some expectations that would have never been met. Adam has never been very animated and MJK hasnt done much in years. its about the show as whole not the members of the band.  but it really sucks that the music wasnt great. (again i live in the US im goin off of all of the reviews ive read so far, so you could have had some impossible expectation there, though). Best thing to do when going to see them now days is to expect horrid dog shit because if thats what u expect then they will surely do better than that.

expectation = resentment waiting to happen  

Yeah, I hate having high expectations, but it is our blood to get some form of expectation, even if you deny it or not. In my case, going to my first ever tool show, you know there is going to be high expectations, they're so damn good overall, but this performance wasn't my cup of tea. I'm probably overreacting as I still haven't got sleep after the show.. 
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Anton said

toolphishdhs said

Anton said
(Some) Tool fans are idiots, seriously. I haven't been on a Tool show before and I had expectations that they would put on a killer show, like the rest of the people that attended. Now, think about it in this way. I have never ever seen Tool live before, came to the venue and thought that adam would rock out and headbang a bit, maynard would do his dances, justin would rock out (as he actually did) and danny smashing his drums, witch he also did. But the thing is that, watching a performance were the band members stands completely still, no one does anything until they have to switch effect and or walk 5 feet is really boring to watch. Justin however rocked out and seemed to enjoy the show, but adam? He didn't even move at all!! same thing with Maynard. I guess I don't see the things you guys do. If they didn't have their screens and their lasers, they would be the most boring act in the world. 

Volbeat sucks, but I watched them at a festival so I had no choice but to check them out, they were better than Tool live. 

For gods sake now, think about it. Just think about as if you had never seen a Tool show before and didn't know what do expect and the things that would come. Think about it. 

I feel you might have had some expectations that would have never been met. Adam has never been very animated and MJK hasnt done much in years. its about the show as whole not the members of the band.  but it really sucks that the music wasnt great. (again i live in the US im goin off of all of the reviews ive read so far, so you could have had some impossible expectation there, though). Best thing to do when going to see them now days is to expect horrid dog shit because if thats what u expect then they will surely do better than that.

expectation = resentment waiting to happen  

Yeah, I hate having high expectations, but it is our blood to get some form of expectation, even if you deny it or not. In my case, going to my first ever tool show, you know there is going to be high expectations, they're so damn good overall, but this performance wasn't my cup of tea. I'm probably overreacting as I still haven't got sleep after the show.. 

Sorry, man. I've seen 'em twice during the "LATERALUS" days, and they were fucking on point.

Hope it doesn't ruin your experience of them as a band.

joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Quote function isn't working for me right now... 

Crow said: "

God help you if you live in the city that hosts the first concert.

Not true actually. One of the best Tool shows (if not the best, tied with some others) I've ever seen was opening night in New Orleans in 2010 when they opened with Third Eye and naturally, no one could've known it was coming. And a few minor/normal flubs aside, they were totally on point, animated (Maynard was anyway) and all around fucking amazing. 

Sometimes the 5th show is a shit one. Or whatever. There are always down shows on any tour with any band. I saw Tool in New York last year, and it was kind of so-so even WITH Maynard really giving it his all and no real tangible problems to speak of. Saw them a few weeks later on the last night in Atlanta... one of the other best performances I've seen. 

In 2006, Maynard was having to skip out on songs due to illness, and they even cancelled some shows leading up to the Kansas City date I saw them on. The same year and others after, he walked off the stage a few times for a few songs due to people shining lasers on him, etc. This shit has always happened. He famously slammed a mic down and walked off stage when his voice failed during Parabola once back in the "golden era." 

It does totally suck when your number's up, so to speak, and one of the lesser-than shows happens to hit your town. But... that's touring live music sometimes, unfortunately. Try to keep perspective, and hopefully that experience wouldn't put any new people off. 

That stage is looking progressively more awesome though! Cannot wait to see what they're up to when they tour the new album. 
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Voice of reason, as always, mate - but I still think that, if you're not up to it, don't bother.

Or at least, do the best you can. Now, as I mentioned, with TOOL, that means a lot. The scenarios you described made sense. But I don't see how our friends in Oz should've been deprived of their money's worth due to a few personal hiccups. I think it would've been better, by the sounds of it SO FAR, if they had cancelled and tried again a couple of days later.

Don't know. Wasn't there. But trying to do a solidarity thing.

And before people say I'm a negative asshole: Nothing would've made me happier than knowing my brothers and sisters in Australia (and one of them, I hold very dear) had had a great night seeing one of the greatest bands on the planet. TOOL fucking own, dude. There's no two ways about it.

But give me MELVINS any day.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Hope the rest of the shows are better. If history is any indication, the rest of the dates should be fine. Wish I could see one of these!
Ettan
Fanboi

Post by Ettan »

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

joeypants said
Hope the rest of the shows are better. If history is any indication, the rest of the dates should be fine. Wish I could see one of these!

So, you're saying that you hope to . . . vicariously live through the Aussies experiences?

Nice one, Tony. Nice one.

Righteousfervor
Bronco's Fan

Post by Righteousfervor »

Opiate was on the setlist at the end with a question mark next to it, someone posted the setlist on their Fbook page, so they should play it some stage on the tour if they get their shit together!
Ettan
Fanboi

Post by Ettan »

they should do sweat. that song is fucking awesome 
Thatlldo
Maynard Believer

Post by Thatlldo »

This is deja vu 2010 all over again.

The 2010 BDO tour got off to a shaky start in the same way - Maynard disinterested, forgetting/omitting lyrics (the whole last section of Vicarious!). I saw the Auckland show and it was by far the worst Tool show i had ever seen (seen them every NZ tour since Aenima). Then they only had 1 show in Hawaii, and a week of rehearsal where it seems Maynard played with his RC helicopter more than he sung. From memory tho, they hit form about Melbourne which was about show 7 on the tour.

Fully agree with all the above comments about how they can't rely on a stunning light show to hold up a technically poor performance.

Not rehearsing for a tour is just lazy. Especially when you're in a band that has to be tight due to the complex nature of the songs.

Maynards last few years habit of omitting sections which he finds too taxing on his voice is just ridiculous. He should sing the high parts an octave lower. That would be better than him not singing anything at all like he does now. The last section of Vicarious as an example.

Forgetting lyrics, and coming in early just shows that he has done little rehearsal. As someone else mentioned its pretty poor to not be able to remember how to nail the 10 base songs that appear in every set. If you can't remember them then get a teleprompter. Axl Rose has one.

This tour i'm lucky enough to be seeing them in Brisbane. Hoping they'll be suitably warmed up by then.

Whats it like getting a small digital camera into Brisbane Entertainment Centre? Do they frisk you on entry?

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Adelaide is looking good, at this point; considering the concept of the "warm up" . . .

Boi From The Righteous Regions Of Hell?
Ettan
Fanboi

Post by Ettan »

And also, hope someone recorded the show and shares it! Would like to re-listen to it.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Hotdog said

Posters are $40 ($30 last year) and signed $140 ($120 last year).  Not happy about the rehash of the posters, but i am happy that somehow the merch guy fucked up and gave me for free a SIGNED Big Day Out 2011 poster! 

Love that unexpected Easter Egg!
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Ok, so that was my 20th or so tool show and maybe it's the wool covering my rose colored glasses, but I've no reason to complain and do not feel ripped off (although, that'd likely be a bit different if I paid for the 'fish')

I went with two people that had never seen tool before, and maynie flubs aside, they both thought it was quite an epic evening from their perspective.  

My better half and I were at the rail in front of Justin and the sound was amazing there.  Not in the mindset to write a book about the gig at the moment but after scanning through some of the other comments I will add the following:

From where I was standing, vocally, that's as good maynard has sounded for quite some time.  He actually didn't appear to be phoning in the vox at all and seemed at a decent level in the mix, which hasn't been the case since the 10K mini-tour.  He easily made up for messing up in Vicarious by singing the end (which I'm told around these parts, he's incapable of doing).  And when he fucked up in lateralus, he appeared to be quite visibly upset with himself (think 3 year old getting told no).  I also think once he'd done that, he had to wait for the right time to come back in rather than half-ass midway through a line.  No excuses for the man from me, but he's (oh my god) human.  I was definitely close enough to get a vibe of what was going on in that regard.  Not to mention the fact that he nailed Hooker, including the heavier, seemingly more challenging parts. It didn't appear to me to be overly effects heavy as the vids from the last US stops seem to suggest.  And Pushit was spot on... all the way through and right into Intension, too so that was a major bonus for me, personally.  Otherwise, you'll never hear me cry about an Aenima heavy set.  To be quite honest, I'd not mind if Schism and Lateralus (yes I did say Lateralus) to go away for a while.  Maybe throw The Patient back into rotation and Disposition as it's unlikely that the Grudge isn't an option at this point.  Danny came out alone after intermission and did a bit of a solo while waiting for the rest of the band to return.  Otherwise, no new tunes or hints of tunes.  Extended portions were standard and Lateralus was not an extended version.  Would have been nice to have a new jam or an opiate tune but fuck it really, they played Pushit.

I didn't notice any other notable problems with anyone else's playing.  Justin did have to replace his bass at one point.  It appeared from his noodling about that his line out connection wasn't responding properly heading into Lateralus. Justin is easily the member of the band who seems to be enjoying himself fully all of the time.  And Danny is essentially faultless. Up in front near the stacks, the mix was tight, and loud, all the way through as was the consensus between ourselves and the couple cool peeps in our area we'd conversed with periodically before the show started and during intermission.

Not really sure it's note worthy, but for those interested they went back to the white lab coat wearing stage hands.

Merch was pretty standard fair for the most part, though I literally only saw stuff in passing a couple times.  Everyone's favorite fish were in affect again, both tees and posters.  I saw signed fish posters were $100 and another signed poster for $140, so I'm guessing maybe the $100 ones were leftovers of some sort.  Also saw some tees with the new Opiate priest on the back as well as the hand with the eye from the recent adverts horizontally through the tool logo.  I'm not entirely sure, but these could have been the same shirt front and back.

However, typical for Melbourne, I don't know why everyone's crying about MJK and Adam standing still considering most of you fuckers sit on your hands the whole damn gig.  I expect photography to be over-policed at a tool show; par for the course at this stage, but policing STANDING... in part because people were complaining that others were standing... AGAIN. I take the girl to her first Concert ever, not just Tool, and she's told people are complaining and she needs to sit.  She is then reminded while stooped on her seat that that is also unacceptable and will be removed for not complying with the initial request to sit down. 

Yes, as I've stated and absolutely stand by, Melbourne crowds are mostly horrid collections of seemingly uninterested scenesters... it's quite a generalization, maybe, but I've been doing gigs here for 5 years... and quite honestly, your rock show crowd sucks!  WHO THE FUCK IN THEIR RIGHT MIND GOES TO A TOOL GIG EXPECTING THAT EVERYONE WILL SIT NICE A PROPER, NO ELBOWS ON THE TABLE, HATS OFF; WANKERS, THAT'S WHO.  AND FURTHERMORE, WHO ACTUALLY COMPLAINS TO SECURITY ABOUT PEOPLE STANDING! UGH!!! Absolutely unacceptable etiquette in my opinion.  You wanna sit, fine, but expect other people to want to conversely enjoy themselves freely and let loose a bit on a Saturday evening and if you can't hack it without dobbing in people to security for dancing then consider fucking staying home, sitting on the couch and enjoying a quiet evening watching Footloose because YOU are ruining it for people who actually care to be there.

TL;DR Fuckers

well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

lopunny said
What time do you think I should line up tomorrow to have a nice spot near the front?

walked in at 8 an crossed the floor to our spot on the rail in front of Justin with no traffic jams... was even able to make two drink and a separate john run before they hit the stage at 845 or so without ever rubbing elbows with anyone.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

Hotdog said

lipanconjuring said
I figured they would drop an Opiate track or two as well, in timing with the reissue and whatnot. Guess not.

I was hoping for an Opiate track too, esp Cold and Ugly. 

Did anyone notice that HWAP had like an alien voice mod added to Maynards voice with the megaphone? I sneeked in a Zoom H2n and recorded the whole concert and just listening to it now i can def hear it. Right at the end of the song, when the music stops, Maynard says something and its def there. 

Yeah, he used that last time around the states too, but it didn't seem so pronounced to me this time.  I could actually hear his actual voice through it this time.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

UsefulIdiot8665 said
I was GA for this show, and basically if you were too close the sound was bullshit. I'd say for at least 50% of the set it was near impossible to hear Maynard. Once they hit intermission, we decided to move back and it was a lot better. 

Adam seemed to be having troubles with his pedals, as he looked quite pissed for most of the show and kept fiddling with his pedalboard. As for Maynard, he screwed up Vicarious and Lateralus. He walked off before singing the end of Lateralus which was annoying. But at the same time, he's been travelling like a mofo. 

Kinda paid money though, to see him perform, you know. Needs to lift his game if he's not sick, and if he is, damnit.

Once they had their break, they flew through and nailed it. Highlight was probably Sober, and while I could barely hear Maynard; Pushit.

46 & 2 was sah good.

Overall, hoping that this show was just a bad night for them, and that the rest of the shows will go off much better. Going to Sydney as well, with any luck it'll have better sound (as I'm in seats, so yeah, its expected, right?). But yeah. Not bad, but a let down.

Wow, the sound must have varied massively... as per my recent review, the sound was good upfront to the right and maynard sounded fairly good, especially on pushit, all things considered these days.

Aaaaand, I'm done.

Thanks for everything, TOOL. We had a good time. But I'll never pay to see you live, ever. And I'll never pay any amount of money for anything you, or related acts, put out ever again.

That is fucking unconscionable. That's disgusting.

For the record, if you can't do it, don't bother. I'm pissed as a TOOL fan that my brothers and sisters had to pay money for a below sub-par display of ineptitude.

Done.

simmer down, he fucked up, had a drink or ninety of water, and returned to singing in the place he felt comfortable... I don't recall seeing him leave without singing, but being that Lateralus lead into the intermission, it's not unlike him to walk off after his spiral out bit is done and they wank out the last few bars of the track.  

Look, not their best performance, namely his, but it was still badass... haters gun hate, son.  It's almost like most people around here have nothing better to do than hate on this band.  And the volbeat better than tool shit is fucking comical, if anything at all.
Hotdog
Fanboi

Post by Hotdog »

This was my first time recording a concert. The Zoom H2n was so easy to hide, luckily i had it in a place where i didn't get metal detected and no it wasn't up my ass. Sounds pretty good, just had it on auto gain and recorded on the best quality. I just left it going the whole time so i will need to cut and shunt in places which i think i can do that on the device. I had front row seats up the back which was perfect to record. There was a ledge in front of my legs and a curtain that totally hid the device. Also conveniently there was a drink cup holder in front of me so i put my iPhone in it and just left it video recording till it could hold no more. Didn't come out too bad. Might have got the first 5 songs in a row. 

Sooooo, i need help now.

Where do i upload it to, like which site is best?

Do i convert it to MP3 or keep it as a WAV file?

I will have a look today but i have to travel back to the city in a couple of hours to go to tonight's concert.
Hotdog
Fanboi

Post by Hotdog »

Did anyone from here do the VIP meet & greet? Love to know how your day went!
Monolith NZ
Bronco's Fan

Post by Monolith NZ »

Also keen to hear about the VIP experience, as I'm doing it at one of the Auckland shows.
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

Enjoyed last night, sound was excellent and they played a pretty good set. The energy started to build towards the end and by the time they got to the extended version of stinkfist, the cobwebs had certainly been blown out and they crowd responded well. I saw someone posted that Opiate was on the setlist with a question mark next to it, that's a bit of let down, oh well hopefully I see it tonight! Highlights were Pushit, sober, and stinkfist. Had a great night overall, everyone I spoke to in the crowd was friendly (and sharing at intermission, thanks for that) and the atmosphere was positive. 

As already mentioned; Maynard wasn't in fine form, by the looks of things he's sick as he was chugging water constantly. Weird that he would sing the end of Vicarious though, and then screw up/stop singing other simpler parts of songs. Anyway, when he was singing, it sounded spot on and was at a good level in the mix. "Put your hand up if you're on drugs?" as most hands went up in the crowd I think he followed up with "they're illegal" which got a few laughs. 

Glanced at the merch tent on the way in, saw a pretty sweet Opiate t-shirt but generally it's just overpriced shit. 
sacredfire
Bronco's Fan

Post by sacredfire »

Been reading Fourtheye for years now, and I've registered to give my 2cents (and existential ramblings). I've seen Tool, to the best of my knowledge, everytime they've been to Australia. The first time was at the Offshore music festival in Torquay, who knows what year that was, 94'? 95'?

Last night we were sitting directly above the mixing desk, about 5 rows up. Sound was perfect there, and was good to see the projection/lights/lasers from the center for the full effect. Vocals weren't drowned out of the mix here either. (I should mention, I'm a bassplayer/muso/trained soundtech). Drums and bass sounded incredible as always, Justin did seem to be having technical difficulties with one of the Wals near the start of Lateralus. Guitar was good, the usual "Tool-ish" sound from Adam.

Hooker with a Penis was very unexpected, I know they don't play it live very often. Maynards vocal were heavily distorted, but he put more into it then I would've expected for a song that's supposedly hard on his voice. Came in too early for Vicarious, but he realised one line in. Not much in the way of distortion or effects for the rest of the show, apart from some reverb and the normal 2 channels for Stinkfist and the harmonizer in Jambi. Overall vocals were ok, it seemed a heavier set musically and his voice held up fine I thought. He's never going to sound like he did during the Undertow - Lateralus days again, he's getting old. My biggest complaint about the vocals would be that they were slightly out of tune in places, maybe he needed more foldback sound? This is a pretty minor complaint I might add.

The last time I saw Tool was at the Myer Music Bowl (Melbourne) in 2011, and this show was 100% better, sound, vocals, playing, the whole lot. The group I was with agreed. A good night, a few surprises musically and show wise. Lots of little musical segues, and stretched/sped up sections in songs I haven't seen before. Danny and Justin were certainly enjoying themselves, Maynard and Adam were their usual dour selves. As for Maynard and Adam just standing still, have you seen this band before? That's all they've done for ten years or so. I would've expected Adam to at least pretend to enjoy himself, since he's all about the fans these days haha. Just after Hooker with a Penis Maynard says "who here is on drugs? That's illegal" with the alien voice effect still on. Always makes me laugh when the crowd starts singing "I'll. Keep. Digging." and the band goes into the extra bridge for Stinkfist, finished with Danny's steel drum sample. Whenever I see these guys live my lasting impression is that Danny and Justin are truly awesome musos and the show always conjures up interesting themes with the combination of sound and effects. It was good. 

Overall I enjoyed myself, not the best show I've seen, but far from the worst. My wife bought me a copy of both signed posters, because of the fish which she thinks is hilarious - my daytime profession is aquaculture. Let the fanboi flaming commence then...I should point out I didn't buy the Opiate re-issue though, I thought it was stupid.

Please enjoy my wall of text.

TL;DR: Enjoyable show, only minor complaints.

I'm seeing Black Sabbath on Wednesday night, anyone else got tickets?
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

The opening act was terrible.

I wish they would change their setlist around.

Was there ever a concert in the past 12 years where they didn't include 'Lateralus'?