Tool - 28th April 2013 - Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne, VIC

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Tool play the famous Rod Laver Tennis Arena in the city of Melbourne for the second of two shows on Sunday the 28th of April.  According to the Ticketek website the running times are identical to the first night:

Box office (Red Booth): 5.30pm
Outer doors: 6pm
Superbox access: 6.45pm
Inner doors: 6.45pm 
Support: 7.30pm
Interval: 8.10pm
TOOL: 8.40pm
Finish: 10.40pm

Times are subject to change, and it wouldn't surprise me if Tool were on a little earlier as there is no support act.  Make sure you're there for 8pm and I'm sure you'll be right.  

Unlike the first night, this show isn't sold out yet.  General Admission tickets are no longer available, but at time of posting there are still some pretty good seats still online. If you are keen on GA tickets, or are looking for a last minute bargain, there may be tickets available in the trading thread.

Sip & Listen will be running a free wine tasting session at the Post Office Hotel on Swan Street Richmond.  Runs from 4-7 and if the wine takes your fancy you'll be able to order some on the day.

Any discussion relevant to the show may be posted in this thread, including spoilers.  Those wanting to avoid them should leave now...
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

OK, round two here we go. Just finished off some wine, about to walk down the road to the arena and crossing my fingers for something off Opiate tonight...or just to have Maynard singing all of the songs haha. 
rimb
My pain is just an excuse

Post by rimb »

Same setlist as last night except for Opiate replacing Vicarious which was a good move after Maynards struggles with that song last night. 

'Nard seemed in much better spirits/health but still didnt sing everything he should have especially the end of Pushit which was a real shame. 
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

WOW

Last night it was like seeing a cover band, tonight I saw tool. FUCKING INSANE.

Last night I shared the experience with a crowd, tonight it was like a family, far more energy up for grabs and tool certainly used it. 

OPIATE was great, Jambi was far more enjoyable and stinkfist was even better than last night. 
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

That is a nice turn of events!  I'm glad they did Opiate but I still think they should have made a few more changes to the set list since they did two nights in the same town.
thesheedspot

Post by thesheedspot »

the only time i ever saw tool and thought it was less than spectacular was their first show of the summer 09 tour in denver at dicks field for the mile high music fest. lots of miscues from adam and maynards vocals getting lost in the mix. then i saw them again a few weeks later in charlotte and it was night and day better. i think maybe it just takes them a show or two get their legs underneath them. cue everyone bashing them (maynard esp) for not being 100% 100% of the time.
Outsider

Post by Outsider »

opiate

ziggy23
Rent Freznor

Post by ziggy23 »

46 & 2

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

I have been staying out of these tour threads, and will, for the most part, continue to do so.  However, I did want to take a moment and say that Maynard sounded very good during Opiate.  I have been extremely critical of him over the last couple of years but I am not such a complete bastard that I cannot give credit where credit is due.  THAT is the Maynard that is the lead singer of Tool.  Well done.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Mogonaut said
I have been staying out of these tour threads, and will, for the most part, continue to do so.  However, I did want to take a moment and say that Maynard sounded very good during Opiate.  I have been extremely critical of him over the last couple of years but I am not such a complete bastard that I cannot give credit where credit is due.  THAT is the Maynard that is the lead singer of Tool.  Well done.

Yeah, he did a pretty good job hitting the high parts in Opiate. I'm excited for the show.

SteveBobSteve
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Glad he's feeling better, but still disappointed for all the people who had to put up with a sub-par performance the first night. The least he could've done was told everyone before the who that he wasn't feeling well, but would give it his best.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

I think "feeling better" is an understatement, he seemed like a whole different person last night compared to Saturday. Dancing about, asking more from the crowd, and offering far more when it came to the vocals. What really summed it up for me was when he gave Danny a big high-five before leaving the stage, you could see the smiles on both of their faces and a bit of 'we nailed it' look was exchanged.

It does suck for the people (including a mate who had flown over from Perth) that didn't get this type of performance first up, but I still wouldn't have left disappointed after Saturday's show. 
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Are you referring to Zane?  He still had a great time!
Ettan
Fanboi

Post by Ettan »

Second night got opiate.... what the fuck?! Vicarious was like a cover band doing the song.. come on. not fair at all
Hotdog
Fanboi

Post by Hotdog »

joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

You know, a lot of bands use the exact same poster for an entire touring cycle, only changing the huge list of dates on the poster, if that. Food for thought...
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

That is a cop out excuse.  Adam is lazy.  The last run of show posters proved that.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Is it? Or are Tool fans just spoiled with this whole unique poster for each and every gig thing? Honestly, not many bands at all do that kind of thing.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

I dont think I can say that TooL fans are spoiled.
thesheedspot

Post by thesheedspot »

i know they usually get these posters to the shows last minute. i have one from the charlotte show last feb that i ended up buying on ebay (like a f*cking a week before they released them on toolband), because they didnt get them to the show at all. we didnt even get the chance to buy them at the show so there were no signed ones, which was a bummer. i still think its cool that tool does this, esp the signed options. although, they surely arent the only band that does this. i have a pretty kickass one from a MMJ show, where the part of the proceeds went to a local charity hand selected by the band.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Other bands do it, but the most common option by far is one tour poster per tour with a bunch of dates on it.

It just gets tiring seeing people pick apart a band that honestly does do a lot of cool shit for their shows. Write a new album! Design me thirty new fucking posters now! Find time to enjoy your life! Play the songs I want to fucking hear, not those other ones! Gimme!

Sorry. Anyway, glad these shows seem to be kicking ass, as per usual. Jealous of you all down there!
thesheedspot

Post by thesheedspot »

i agree.

message boards are odd places. i go to one for my favorite sports team and there is def more negative to be said about them than positive, kinda like here.
UsefulIdiot8665
Maynard Believer

Post by UsefulIdiot8665 »

I

joeypants said
Other bands do it, but the most common option by far is one tour poster per tour with a bunch of dates on it.

It just gets tiring seeing people pick apart a band that honestly does do a lot of cool shit for their shows. Write a new album! Design me thirty new fucking posters now! Find time to enjoy your life! Play the songs I want to fucking hear, not those other ones! Gimme!

Sorry. Anyway, glad these shows seem to be kicking ass, as per usual. Jealous of you all down there!

Couldnt have said it better myself! They have a high standard for their live shows, and as far as their recorded stuff goes.... Well.

Opiate: For an Ep, well... Yeah its pretty cool. 
Undertow: Cool catchy prog-grunge, a good start for a proper LP.
Aenema: No words.
Lateralus: No words.
10,000 Days: Bloody good album, could have been better but still bloody good.

Cut them some slack! But at the same time, I want the new album as much as the next guy. Hurry up. lulz.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

badkittygothgirl said
I dont think I can say that TooL fans are spoiled.

Did he really just say Tool fans are spoiled?  I got nothing but luv for Joey but THAT is borderline absurd.

Also, as I read through these tour threads, I see people bitching about all the negativity.  What the FUCK are you talking about?  Hellboy asked those of us who view Tool in a negative light not to junk up these threads and for the most part they have stayed fairly clean.  So stop fucking complaining.  People say they are sick of the negativity well then FUCKING POST SOMETHING POSITIVE.

JizzyMcJizz
Maynard Believer

Post by JizzyMcJizz »

Enjoi.