Tool - 1st May 2013 - Entertainment Centre, Adelaide, SA

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Can confirm the setlist and the show was excellent, however neither the best or worst I've seen them.  Backstage was uneventful. Will post some more thoughts in the morning...
Intension
Fanboi

Post by Intension »

I havnt heard anyone mention segues? Anything new to speak of? Speculation of new material? That new synth being used, merkaba? Whats the scoop?

Intension
Fanboi

Post by Intension »

Sounds a little more polished to me. What do you boys think?
mi3rdfist
Maynard Believer

Post by mi3rdfist »

mi3rdfist
Maynard Believer

Post by mi3rdfist »

Brendan said
Caught a bit of the DJ. Actually decent. The last song was (I think) Windowlicker by Aphex Twin.

Yep windowlicker alright, and yes the dj played some good tunes but I had to laugh, he confirmed what I always suspected about djs; he was doin a lot of, yknow, button switching, movin all over his decks, all the right looking moves a dj does, all the while stock standard windowlicker is playing. Dunno if he was tryin to take credit for the song or what. A bit of Rammstein Spiel Mit Mir after the dj also.
lachrymologist
RIP

Post by lachrymologist »

Did they have venue specific posters available? 
thesheedspot
My pain is just an excuse

Post by thesheedspot »

i take it that the little x out to the left of the songs indicates some sort of extended version?
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

thesheedspot said
i take it that the little x out to the left of the songs indicates some sort of extended version?

Could be.  Could also be some sort of notation for the crew as most of the set lists that find their way out to the public come from crew members. (Thanks Jr!)
Ki77aan :twisted:
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Hold on, extended Pushit? Tell me more...

Also, mi3rdfist, as a DJ myself (former mostly but whatever) I can tell you there's a lot of shit you have to do to prep whatever you're bringing in that might look like you're "Milli Vanilling" it. Of course these days, so many of these douchebags ARE just dicking around and not doing anything in particular. I'd like to think whoever Tool has opening has been vetted to be not one of those though. At least he played good music!
Ettan
Fanboi

Post by Ettan »

this is the "drum solo" on pushit 
thesheedspot
My pain is just an excuse

Post by thesheedspot »

it looks to me that is what the x stands for. the setlist even details where and when the extension comes in (other than stinkfist which probably just means they put in that extended part where most of the crowd will start singing "ill keep digging")
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Especially when he still belts out Pushit for you. If you haven't seen that one live... man. They could play just that and leave the stage and I'd be satisfied.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

lachrymologist said
Did they have venue specific posters available? 

Yes, was one of the designs from the 2011 tour though.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

A slightly longer review:

Started with Vicarious, which had a slightly tweaked intro.  Didn't bet the heartbeat reported in Melbourne, but a Tuva like intro sound instead.  Maynard used the megaphone for the whole song and didn't sing the end (no surprises there).
Maynard apologised for being late before getting stuck into Opiate.  He was obviouslly quite nasally so still suffering a fair bit from whatever cold or flu he has.  Was a little concerned at how bad Maynard was going to sound after Vicarious, but that was laid to rest pretty shortly.
Schism was the extended version.
Pushit was excellent, Maynard sung pretty much all that he has on recent tours, just missing out one line at the end.  Good to see this song back in the setlist.  Was "extended" in that there was a short electronic tabla solo.
Lights during Intension were a definite highlight, and seemed that way for most people around me.  Except that one guy lighting up cones and chatting with his fat girlfriend.
Lateralus on a little earlier during the set than normal.  The crowd had been pretty quite up until this point, and this really go things moving.
Interesting Intermission, which the word "Intermission" in lasers on the backdrop with a clock counting down.
12 minutes later Danny comes out with a huge grin on his face ready to play with his synth.  Followed by a great drum solo as well!
Maynard comes out with a rooster attached to his arm for the remainder of the show.  Jambi was really good tonight (as was the rest of the set).
46 & 2 and Aenema were good, with no particular highlights.
Stinkfist was played last, there was a bunch of confetti let off at the end.  The extended version was played, and the final few bars of the song were extended to highlight the use of the confetti (so Junior told me anyway).
Apparently there was a disco ball in use - I just presumed it was part of the furniture when I arrived and didn't notice during the show (we were standing in front of it).  Wasn't until Junior told me about it post show that I even knew it'd been used.
Backstage was a bit of a fizzer in some ways - couldn't even find more than one beer.  Got to have a good chat with Junior which was great, rest of the band no where in sight though.  Apparently Liz met Danny at the Crown & Anchor later that evening.

Overall a good night.  Maynard's vocals were pretty decent considering his cold - he certainly gave it his best.  Would probably rank somewhere in the middle as far as the quality of the show.  A solid 9/10 I thought, but not the 10/10 I've seen a few times now.  Glad they came, now time for them to complete the tour and get some writing finished...
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

^ Did you ever meet up with Frazz?
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineEier said

Nah, never heard from him.

On another note, I think the venue was at only about 2/3 capacity, so lines were pretty painless.  Camera nazi's were out, but unless you have your camera in the air for more than 10 seconds it wasn't an issue.  Was a good atmosphere in the pit - plenty of weed being smoked, and it seemed most were having a great time.

Except this one guy that looked like he was on a pretty bad trip...
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy1975 said

UndKeineEier said

Nah, never heard from him.

On another note, I think the venue was at only about 2/3 capacity, so lines were pretty painless.  Camera nazi's were out, but unless you have your camera in the air for more than 10 seconds it wasn't an issue.  Was a good atmosphere in the pit - plenty of weed being smoked, and it seemed most were having a great time.

Except this one guy that looked like he was on a pretty bad trip...

Probably the same guy who had his trip blue-balled the other day.
Don't mow your lawn
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

So Frazz was full of shit?

ha ha
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

hellboy1975 said

Backstage was a bit of a fizzer in some ways - couldn't even find more than one beer.  Got to have a good chat with Junior which was great, rest of the band no where in sight though.  Apparently Liz met Danny at the Crown & Anchor later that evening.

That bitch. 
Lizbet
Bronco's Fan

Post by Lizbet »

Good morning Fourtheye

Well that was a particularly long wait and watching people receive their cancellation texts on the Tuesday night at the wine tasting did give me a bit of a giggle (nothing quite like shared misery). Props to Hellboy for still being the first with the news at least 5 minutes before I got my text.

I had a great night. I won't go into details I think Hellboy has that covered but they were cranking by intermission and the second half in particular rocked. I did turn around and look at that mirror ball for a couple of minutes but the action was all up front. We were about 10 meters back straight in front of Adam with a pretty good diagonal of Danny; when the guy with the big hair in front of me was off to the side.

I was sure they were going to reset that intermission clock when it finished for the giggle but they were a well oiled machine, and Danny's drum solo after the break was excellent!

It wasn't the best show I've seen certainly but it was a fantastic gig nevertheless. They are quite peerless with what they do, was the thought that occurred to me whilst watching them last night. That journey that they take you on within the confines of a single song stirs me, it is music that is very easy to give yourself over too. As visual as their shows are I was finding myself closing my eyes at times.

So...

After the gig we caught up with Hellboy and his mate (flashing their special people passes) and asked them to give our regards to the guys.

Most of our mates had bailed, it being the second night they had all scrambled for babysitters and leave passes, so it was the bloke and I and a young mate who had just seen his first TooL show that headed off to the favourite haunt. The Cranker!

A couple of hours in possibly and I see Danny standing virtually in front of me. I went up to him and said thank you. He gave me a big hug. I knew he would be but he is just such a naturally warm personable guy. A very easy, open and engaging manner. I bought him a scotch because I liked the idea of buying a multi millionaire a drink (I got a kiss for that). The bloke asked him about the new TooL album (I know right, giggle), explaining that every time we see them we hope it's not the last. Danny said by the end of the year he reckons and that they were just touring now to make money. I also asked him about Volto and he said that is done just going through "the process".

Now the really funny encounter was Justin. I looked across and thought yep that is Justin but no one was talking to him. I walked over and said some kind of thanks and he invited me to sit down with him. We started to talk but he is quite weird and puts on this accent that makes me think I may have got it wrong and this is not him. He goes over to chat with some others and I'm watching him and I'm now thinking I have indeed made a mistake. I go up to him and say something like "well I guess I'm an idiot" and then he puts on some sort of Irish accent and asks me if I'm sure. 

It was him but he is a strange cat. At one point he threw himself on the floor grabbing hold of Danny's leg. Funny dude but as I said Danny is the man. Very impressed.

Dissenter LOL. I'll own it.

Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

Great review, Justin sounds quite Maynard-ish!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I imagine Justin was high as a kite.  I heard there was quite a bit of the local produce sampled on their night off...
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

When in Rome...
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said
A slightly longer review:

Started with Vicarious, which had a slightly tweaked intro.  Didn't bet the heartbeat reported in Melbourne, but a Tuva like intro sound instead.  Maynard used the megaphone for the whole song and didn't sing the end (no surprises there).
Maynard apologised for being late before getting stuck into Opiate.  He was obviouslly quite nasally so still suffering a fair bit from whatever cold or flu he has.  Was a little concerned at how bad Maynard was going to sound after Vicarious, but that was laid to rest pretty shortly.
Schism was the extended version.
Pushit was excellent, Maynard sung pretty much all that he has on recent tours, just missing out one line at the end.  Good to see this song back in the setlist.  Was "extended" in that there was a short electronic tabla solo.
Lights during Intension were a definite highlight, and seemed that way for most people around me.  Except that one guy lighting up cones and chatting with his fat girlfriend.
Lateralus on a little earlier during the set than normal.  The crowd had been pretty quite up until this point, and this really go things moving.
Interesting Intermission, which the word "Intermission" in lasers on the backdrop with a clock counting down.
12 minutes later Danny comes out with a huge grin on his face ready to play with his synth.  Followed by a great drum solo as well!
Maynard comes out with a rooster attached to his arm for the remainder of the show.  Jambi was really good tonight (as was the rest of the set).
46 & 2 and Aenema were good, with no particular highlights.
Stinkfist was played last, there was a bunch of confetti let off at the end.  The extended version was played, and the final few bars of the song were extended to highlight the use of the confetti (so Junior told me anyway).
Apparently there was a disco ball in use - I just presumed it was part of the furniture when I arrived and didn't notice during the show (we were standing in front of it).  Wasn't until Junior told me about it post show that I even knew it'd been used.

Overall a good night.  Maynard's vocals were pretty decent considering his cold - he certainly gave it his best.  Would probably rank somewhere in the middle as far as the quality of the show.  A solid 9/10 I thought, but not the 10/10 I've seen a few times now.  Glad they came, now time for them to complete the tour and get some writing finished...

WHOA, whoa whoa whoa.

What?!?!?!?!?
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.