Disappointed in Tool's 2013 setlist (FULL OF SPOILERS!)

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

toolphishdhs said
while both good,  i would much rather hear the Grudge or Ticks or Parabola or any song at all off lateralus over any song off of undertow but i wouldnt be upset if they were to bring out flood or 4 degrees or (heaven forbid) prison sex. i love it all (tools work) but prefer some to others.    

hell im still waiting till i get to be at the show where Nard squeezes the fuck out of his cat with some sweet vox effects and we finally get a Mantra.

opinions, assholes, something something. hahaha.  

Truth. Hearing "The Grudge" and "4 Degrees" in one show (along side "Lateralus", mind you) made me realise that I actually got the setlist I always wanted from the band.

Besides "Third Eye" and "jimmy". But fuck, you can't win 'em all.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

joeypants said
Not to rub it in, but I cannot express in words what it was like to be there opening night in New Orleans in 2010 (after the 2009 tours too), kind of expecting another retread. And then the lights go down, that heartbeat comes on followed quickly by Dr. Leary. My friend has a video standing next to me where you can hear my exact reaction, but I don't think I'll ever share that. It's embarrassing. I may or may not have quietly gotten choked up by the time it got to "So good to see you; I've missed you so much..."

And if that wasn't enough, by the time I'd recouped from the shock we got The Patient followed by Intolerance. Fuck. I want to go back to that show. Also they had cut an already tiny arena in half, so it was essentially a small theater show.

I was at the show.  There was a collective shitting of pants.  We had our arms outstretched as we sang the same lyrics to the band.  I cried when they played The Patient and my fiancé threw it down when it was followed by the "time travel"....I think we all wish they would do a bit more time traveling.  The most beautiful aspect of that show, was that it was spoiler free.  That show is the very reason I try to be vigilant about set list spoilers.  It was awesome!!!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Yep! I was like, goddamn, never reading another setlist again.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

For those making recommendations on favorite Tool boots, please add them here:

http://www.fourtheye.net/f/tool/tool-boots

Along with links if you've got them.

@ Joey - I had a similar experience in Reno last year.  Finally getting to hear T&L live was brilliant, even with a megaphone'd MJK.  In fact, fuck Maynard entirely... guest vocalist(s) and let's get a REAL set list.
Ki77aan :twisted:
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

Hey hold on a second, too much positivity in this thread, we're meant to be bitching about the shitty set list this tour.

OH hold on, what was that you played first up last night tool? 

FUUUUCK
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Fuck it , couldn't work it out on my phone , so just deleted the post. 
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

Busty McCracken said
Yet before last night I'd already seen 3rd eye 3 times & have never seen HWAP before.. Funny how what pleases some doesn't suit all... Here's hoping for Hooker tonight.. 

might wanna cover that up with some spoiler tags before the forum police come and busty ya. 

But yeah I don't know how any set list can't please, I mean we're all on this forum because we love tool, end of, no need to be cunt about things really. 
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Ahh righto, cheers man, thought this was a anything goes thread.. Ill try work out how to do that spoiler thing.. 
sublime5446
Fanboi

Post by sublime5446 »

Man. The back to back nights at red rocks will likely always be my favorite shows. Full lunar eclipse during the first night with thirdeye, the patient, intolerence. And then the next night they played intension for the first time I believe,  followed by right in two. 
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

Busty McCracken said
Ahh righto, cheers man, thought this was a anything goes thread.. Ill try work out how to do that spoiler thing.. 

Oh by the looks the thread now states that it is full of spoilers, don't think that was there before so no wakas. 
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

It has been a spoiler thread for about a week now.
spiral2spiral
Bronco's Fan

Post by spiral2spiral »

badkittygothgirl said

joeypants said
Not to rub it in, but I cannot express in words what it was like to be there opening night in New Orleans in 2010 (after the 2009 tours too), kind of expecting another retread. And then the lights go down, that heartbeat comes on followed quickly by Dr. Leary. My friend has a video standing next to me where you can hear my exact reaction, but I don't think I'll ever share that. It's embarrassing. I may or may not have quietly gotten choked up by the time it got to "So good to see you; I've missed you so much..."

And if that wasn't enough, by the time I'd recouped from the shock we got The Patient followed by Intolerance. Fuck. I want to go back to that show. Also they had cut an already tiny arena in half, so it was essentially a small theater show.

I was at the show.  There was a collective shitting of pants.  We had our arms outstretched as we sang the same lyrics to the band.  I cried when they played The Patient and my fiancé threw it down when it was followed by the "time travel"....I think we all wish they would do a bit more time traveling.  The most beautiful aspect of that show, was that it was spoiler free.  That show is the very reason I try to be vigilant about set list spoilers.  It was awesome!!!

Sounds VERY similar to Sydney Big Day Out night one 2011:

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=118972

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=121241

Yup, pretty much it, swapping out Stinkfist for Pot and and a bit of re-jigging... Likewise, even thought that was my second show on that tour, was not expecting Intolerance or Patient at all.. Special stuff!

not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

toolphishdhs said
as i am far more a justin era fan. i much prefer things when they dropped most of undertow and opiate. those albums held them back musically.  Lateralus 01 -02 (although MJK started losing his voice near the end of 02 so there is that) tour was their peak as far as live musical achievement. 

Fuck you, Paul wrote most of aenima

joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Justin's effects work alone puts a huge personal stamp on the Aenima material, whether the wrote certain actual riffs or not. Not to mention his general tone and playing style is different.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Tony Fuckin Danza said
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/paul-dam ... 98/credits

I still need to check out Feersum Ennjin sometime.

Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

UndKeineEier said

Tony Fuckin Danza said
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/paul-dam ... 98/credits

I still need to check out Feersum Ennjin sometime.

Skip the EP, as the full-length is basically the EP with a handful of other songs from various places tacked on. Very unsatisfying, I felt, after being a massive, massive, fan of the EP for so long.

But, you get to skip the dissatisfaction if you go straight for the LP.

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Feersum Enjin LP is ok, nothing great. Paul is still a top notch bass player and it does have Danny on drums in the first track. OG Tool rhythm section!

Oh and its much better than Mtvoid though to be fair they aren't the same kind of music.
Hey! Denty!
NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

Upon reflection, was a great set. What the hell was I thinking