Disappointed in Tool's 2013 setlist (FULL OF SPOILERS!)

NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

[spoiler]http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/2013 ... 81c3b.html

I'm going to both Auckland shows (can't wait), but I'm... disappointed to say the least in the setlist choice. I know that Maynard chooses songs that he's comfortble with singing, but I'm sure he could have done better. I'm sorry, but why the hell did they think that Intension was a good choice as one of the 11 songs played?! It's more or less an album filler, and it's a pretty big proportion of the concert itself. I would have loved to have seen some more Lateralus stuff, like the Patient or Parabol/Parabola. Ticks and Leeches or the Grudge would have been epic as well, but Maynard's getting old. Can't blame him. Right in two would have been the best choice they could have made. The setlist just seems a bit radio friendly, that's all. I'm not angry, just a little bit disappointed. Thoughts? Or am I going crazy[/spoiler]
jabuddha
Bronco's Fan

Post by jabuddha »

[spoiler]I can see why you would think this.....BUT when I saw them in Dallas last year Intension was a highlight (for me anyway). It is much better live. I will be hoping they play it next time I get the chance to see them.[/spoiler]

Enjoy the shows.
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

[spoiler]Intension ruled both nights in Melbourne, was very impressed. On paper the the setlist doesn't look much, but if you stay away from youtube you will still enjoy little change ups and surprises along the way! [/spoiler]
NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

[spoiler]264zn said
Intension ruled both nights in Melbourne, was very impressed. On paper the the setlist doesn't look much, but if you stay away from youtube you will still enjoy little change ups and surprises along the way! [/spoiler]

I've been doing that I promised myself not to look at the setlist but let's just say that curiosity killed the cat Are 11 enough? I know they're 11 "tool" length songs, but still

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

I agree with OP; but also, one fan's horror setlist is another fan's dream.

So, it's tough to say. Just go with the flow, I guess. There's a 98% chance you'll have a kickass time, anyway.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

This entire thread is one big spoiler.  Please have some respect for those who have a stronger will than you when it comes to not looking at the set list.  At the least use the spoiler tag if you insist on discussing specific songs.
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

^Yep my bad. I guessed people who didn't want to know about the 2013 set list wouldn't open the thread though...

Anyway gotta agree with Danza, the set list we got in Melbourne was pretty solid in my eyes...
jabuddha
Bronco's Fan

Post by jabuddha »

badkittygothgirl said
This entire thread is one big spoiler.  Please have some respect for those who have a stronger will than you when it comes to not looking at the set list.  At the least use the spoiler tag if you insist on discussing specific songs.

Oops. You are right BKGG. Sorry for my part.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

No worries guys. 
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Mog was right. Tool fans are in no way spoiled. Nope. Not as far as I can tell.

(note: just to be fair to my man Mog, I do acknowledge that our disagreement is a matter of semantics, i.e. "ARE actually spoiled" vs. "ACT like spoiled kids")

And I'm just being a wiseass. If you're disappointed in the setlist, you're disappointed I suppose. In the past, I've tried to understand and have some empathy for those who feel that way. Then I inevitably go to one of the shows, have my balls blown off and wonder "what in the hell are these people on about that's still one of the most amazing things I've ever seen!" Haha. Carry on.
SawThatGapAgainToday
Maynard Believer

Post by SawThatGapAgainToday »

Why do ppl read threads about the setlists if they dont want spoilers? dont click the link and stop whining. This site is a bunch of complaining babies. It clearly states that this is a topic about the set lists and ppl still complain about spoilers. Some of us want to know the songs they are playing on the other side of the world. 
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

SawThatGapAgainToday said
Why do ppl read threads about the setlists if they dont want spoilers? dont click the link and stop whining. This site is a bunch of complaining babies. It clearly states that this is a topic about the set lists and ppl still complain about spoilers. Some of us want to know the songs they are playing on the other side of the world. 

Feel free to click on "Reveal Spoiler".
jabuddha
Bronco's Fan

Post by jabuddha »

SawThatGapAgainToday said

I think BKGG pointing out that this thread contained unintentional spoilers does not fit the "whining" you are whining about. There are threads specifically for set list spoilers. And being disappointed in the set list can be discussed without giving anything away. She is right and you are wrong. And a little whiny.
Ettan
Fanboi

Post by Ettan »

People that says things like "oh well, he's 49". That's just a bad excuse for him. James Hetfield is 49 and still kicks as, Maynard doesn't even move at all anymore and he can't sing well, at least with Tool. He sounds great in puscifer, bad in apc and tool. Weird.. 

Ozzy Osbourne is even older than maynard and is still a better front man than him, + ozzy has been doing this since the 70s, Maynard has done it since the 90s. worst excuse ever, age. 
UsefulIdiot8665
Maynard Believer

Post by UsefulIdiot8665 »

Anton said
People that says things like "oh well, he's 49". That's just a bad excuse for him. James Hetfield is 49 and still kicks as, Maynard doesn't even move at all anymore and he can't sing well, at least with Tool. He sounds great in puscifer, bad in apc and tool. Weird.. 

Ozzy Osbourne is even older than maynard and is still a better front man than him, + ozzy has been doing this since the 70s, Maynard has done it since the 90s. worst excuse ever, age. 

1. James Hetfield, while a very good guitarist and frontman, does not have a massive vocal range. His voice has changed a lot since Kill Em' All was released, and most of their reaaalllly old stuff is tuned down live. And example of this is Seek and Destroy. Dont get me wrong, I've seen 'Tallica 3 times, and have loved every second of it.

2. Ozzy is in no way shape or form a better frontman or vocalist than Nardo. Just got back from Sabbath in Melbourne, and while I enjoyed it, Ozzy was awful for about 1/3 of the show. Doesnt know the lyrics (teleprompter the whole time), heaps of off notes, and nearly lost his voice during a song. Also he moves around about as much as Maynie except for the odd grannie run accross the stage. That being said, I love Sabbath, but Ozzy has REALLY aged. Dont compare them.

Im not defending Maynard, but its obvious he can still pull off tough stuff. Pushit is hella hard to sing, and he is recovering from being sick. Im sure when he's better, the song choices are a lot more varied; IE Ticks and Leeches/Parabola/Hooker though most of the recents shows. 
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Fourthwhine.net
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

joeypants said
Fourthwhine.net

It's what you pair with Fourthdinner.
Ki77aan :twisted:
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

Anton said

I was working an event Black Sabbath did in LA when they premiered one of their new songs.  I was operating Ozzy's spotlight during the performance.  I didn't have to move the light the entire time.  The guy never moved a single inch.  He still rocked the house though.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Maynard sure knows how to get customers for his WHINE business wakkawakkawakkawakka
lipanconjuring
of Arimathea

Post by lipanconjuring »

If the band is down with touching songs that Maynard can pull off well, I keep wondering why they don't pick Disposition/Reflection/Triad. He could slay those numbers, and he wouldn't even need to sing the third part. And getting to hear those live would be the instant highlight of the show for me.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I think it's the epic nature of them and that they were kind of the "centerpiece" for that album's touring. It would dominate a chunk of a show (though honestly, not anymore than Third Eye did I don't think). I'll probably never give up hope that they might drag it out again sometime though. Perhaps when they're on their 4th or 5th year of touring the next album, they'll trot it out. I need to see that before I die.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

The only criticism of the setlist...

[spoiler]...I had from last night is that Vicarious is a boring opening song, and seeing as Maynard can't sing it any more should be dropped.[/spoiler]  

Other than that, I was quite happy seeing every song the played last night.  Sure there are a few other songs I prefer that I'd like to have seen added, but really I find complaining about setlists is kinda like pissing in the wind.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Uh spoilers?

Banned