Disappointed in Tool's 2013 setlist (FULL OF SPOILERS!)

Nedak
Maynard Believer

Post by Nedak »

Yeah, the setlist is disappointing but only because it's the same shit we've seen for 6 years (aside from Hooker). I don't really understand how hard it is to have some variation in your setlists-- Pearl Jam, Nine inch Nails, Soundgarden, Rage Against the Machine, Deftones, etc all have a lot of variation. 

I probably would be stoked if these were songs that weren't played as often as they are. 
NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

Nedak said
Yeah, the setlist is disappointing but only because it's the same shit we've seen for 6 years (aside from Hooker). I don't really understand how hard it is to have some variation in your setlists-- Pearl Jam, Nine inch Nails, Soundgarden, Rage Against the Machine, Deftones, etc all have a lot of variation. 

I probably would be stoked if these were songs that weren't played as often as they are. 

God I'd kill to see Deftones live. They're known for constantly touring but they have NEVER (except for big day out) came to New Zealand I don't know why...

Sprout
Bronco's Fan

Post by Sprout »

Considering he sings through a megaphone half the time, the excuse of setlist choice depending on which songs he can perform is a touch lame. Also, for a guy who comes across as an introvert and doesn't show much emotion in the media, whenever Adam answers the question about setlists, I always feel this little tinge of spite in his voice. There's a question for the VIP people, if Adam could play any of Tools songs live now, what would they be?
NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

Sprout said
Considering he sings through a megaphone half the time, the excuse of setlist choice depending on which songs he can perform is a touch lame. Also, for a guy who comes across as an introvert and doesn't show much emotion in the media, whenever Adam answers the question about setlists, I always feel this little tinge of spite in his voice. There's a question for the VIP people, if Adam could play any of Tools songs live now, what would they be?

I don't think he'd be comfortable in answering that lol

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

NickTheGC said

hellboy1975 said

Calfium Jay said
I must be the only Tool fan on Earth who likes Lipan Conjuring.

No, you're not.  It has the best lyrics on the album imo.

God Tool fans are such tools... Either hate on Maynard every step of the way or claim that he is god. No wonder why Maynard acts like such a dick to his fans

I'm confused as to how those two statements are insulting to Maynard?
Nedak
Maynard Believer

Post by Nedak »

NickTheGC said

Nedak said

God I'd kill to see Deftones live. They're known for constantly touring but they have NEVER (except for big day out) came to New Zealand I don't know why...

I saw them in October, one of the best shows I've been to. Guy is getting old and still jumps around.
in_the_blender
Bronco's Fan

Post by in_the_blender »

NP: Opeth - Ghost Reveries

lol
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Since 2006 Tool have played the following at least once:

Jambi
46 & 2
Schism
Aenema
Pushit
Stinkfist
Intension
Sober
Hooker With A Penis
Opiate
Vicarious
Lateralus
Ticks & Leeches
Parabol/a
The Pot
Third Eye
The Patient
Flood
You Lied
Right In Two
Intolerance
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Wings For Marie
Swamp Song

Can we put the bed the myth that they've played the same old shit for the last six years?
Nedak
Maynard Believer

Post by Nedak »

hellboy1975 said
Since 2006 Tool have played the following at least once:

Jambi
46 & 2
Schism
Aenema
Pushit
Stinkfist
Intension
Sober
Hooker With A Penis
Opiate
Vicarious
Lateralus
Ticks & Leeches
Parabol/a
The Pot
Third Eye
The Patient
Flood
You Lied
Right In Two
Intolerance
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Wings For Marie
Swamp Song

Can we put the bed the myth that they've played the same old shit for the last six years?

No, because that's not that huge of a list. I mean, I'm not the biggest pessimist when it comes to Tool, but you have to have not seen a lot of bands live to think that's a big list. Some bands have entire nightly setlists that big. 
in_the_blender
Bronco's Fan

Post by in_the_blender »

hellboy1975 said

Dude... Thats 24 songs. For most bands, if they had WRITTEN 24 songs, it'd be considered the same old shit.
Nedak
Maynard Believer

Post by Nedak »

Just for some reference here was the setlist of the most recent Radiohead show:

Lotus Flower
Airbag
Bloom
Staircase
Myxomatosis
The Gloaming
Separator
Reckoner
Videotape
Climbing Up The Walls
Nude
Identikit
There There
Karma Police
Feral
Bodysnatchers
Pyramid Song (Encore #1)
House Of Cards
Morning Mr Magpie
Idioteque
Paranoid Android
Give Up The Ghost (Encore #2)
15 Step
Everything In Its Right Place/Unravel intro
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Nedak said 
No, because that's not that huge of a list. I mean, I'm not the biggest pessimist when it comes to Tool, but you have to have not seen a lot of bands live to think that's a big list. Some bands have entire nightly setlists that big. 

Depends on what your point of reference is.  Let's not forget Tool only have 4 albums to choose from.  That list is over 50% of their material.  We may disagree, but personally I don't think that's such a bad number.

And besides, what they choose to play on the night is really a different issue.  I doubt anyone would object to them playing more songs.  No doubt people would like to see them mix it up more as well, but for the 90% of people who only ever see one show a tour, I really don't see that it matters.

I don't deny that other bands do more varied setlists. Just saying that Tool are probably less varied than their detractors would like to admit.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Calfium Jay said

nope... I'm also under the impression that I dig intension more than most 
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said

Nedak said 

Depends on what your point of reference is.  Let's not forget Tool only have 4 albums to choose from.  That list is over 50% of their material.  We may disagree, but personally I don't think that's such a bad number.

And besides, what they choose to play on the night is really a different issue.  I doubt anyone would object to them playing more songs.  No doubt people would like to see them mix it up more as well, but for the 90% of people who only ever see one show a tour, I really don't see that it matters.

I don't deny that other bands do more varied setlists. Just saying that Tool are probably less varied than their detractors would like to admit.

Allow me to channel Tha Mogster: "THEY'D PROBABLY HAVE MORE MATERIAL IF THEY'D RELEASE ANOTHER FUCKING ALBUM."
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
lipanconjuring
of Arimathea

Post by lipanconjuring »

hellboy1975 said

Calfium Jay said

No, you're not.  It has the best lyrics on the album imo.

heya heya heya ho
heya heya heya ho
hooey hoooooya
heya heya heya ho
HOOOOOOOOOOYO
heya hoya heya ho tool

cool
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

God the lack of understanding and comprehension in these threads invariably drives me around the fucking bend each and every time. Hellboy is spot on, as per usual. Those of you comparing Radiohead sets to Tool sets in terms of number of songs... just.... goddamn. They ALL play about 2 hours, more or less. Hours on stage, that's basically how you look at it. There are bands that do more. Many more that do less on headlining tours. Either educate yourself in a true way, or don't argue about it. You look like a moron when you do.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

TooL has not played a two hour set in decades!  You are lucky to get 1:45, but most nights it is an hour and a half.  I saw Radiohead twice on their last tour and they played 2 1/2 hours.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Tool consistently gets around 1:50 lately, give or take. Radiohead was right at 2 hours last time. Not sure what show you saw, but I think we were at the same one.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Houston.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Anyway, it's a tired argument. The crux is, if you like it you like it, if you don't you don't. Glad I fall in the former category I suppose. I leave fulfilled every time. Much moreso than any other band, or at least at the same level. Melvins are pretty, pretty, pretty stunning live I have to say.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

badkittygothgirl said
Houston.

Ah, nope. I was at the Atlanta show.

thesheedspot
My pain is just an excuse

Post by thesheedspot »

apples to oranges trying to compare bands live. radiohead show is totally different from a tool show. a tool show might like sparse on paper but if you are there its a completely different and awesome thing. ive never felt like tool played a short set or didnt give me what i had come for. now, if you want to look at band that plays a nearly complete set of their songs check out a foo fighters set list, particularly the one from when they played the rock the vote show at the filmore in charlotte (THIRTY FIVE SONGS). i would have loved to have been there for that.
Nedak
Maynard Believer

Post by Nedak »

I remembered why I have been checking these forums less-- morons of both extremes. Either you hate Tool with a passion or you are in a one-sided teeny-bop relationship with them.

Here is a full Tool show--including the intermission:
Time: 1hr 35min

Here is a full Radiohead show:
Time: 2hr 5min

The Radiohead show is a full 30min longer. But maybe that isn't a big deal to you. Well, if you read my post I was mentioning "variety". No, that doesn't mean "quantity" for you non-english majors out there.

Now compare this (just two nights before the last I posted) setlist with the previous setlist I posted.

Lotus Flower
Airbag
Bloom
The Daily Mail
Myxomatosis
Bodysnatchers
The Gloaming
Separator
How to Disappear Completely
Nude
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
Reckoner
There There
The National Anthem
Feral
Paranoid Android

Encore:
Give Up the Ghost
Kid A
Identikit
I Might Be Wrong
Street Spirit (Fade Out)

Encore 2:
15 Step
Everything in Its Right Place
(True Love Waits intro)

Encore 3:
Idioteque

Some of the same songs are played,yes, but do you understand how they have a variety of other songs?

Listen, I'm not saying I expect Tool to be Radiohead, Nine inch Nails, Pearl Jam, or Deftones. But I do wish that they would have a little more fun with their setlists and it doesn't help when you feel like the band members are severely bored with playing the same shit. When I saw them in 07' and then again in 10' it was easy to tell that they had become much more bored of their music, especially when songs like Stinkfist, Vicarious, Schism, and 46+2 came on.
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

I'd like to have longer Tool shows, but then again I'd really like for them to play every song they've ever done in one show.

Satisfaction is hard to attain.
insaner
Bronco's Fan

Post by insaner »

good luck ever seeing parabola again, unless they drop it down a step like they did with the pot.  he can't sing that shit anymore.