Disappointed in Tool's 2013 setlist (FULL OF SPOILERS!)

insaner
Bronco's Fan

Post by insaner »

they owe you something?
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Well, I guess I was wrong about last year's tours although I swear the Atlanta show was closer to 1:45. The beginning of the 2006 10K Days tours were consistently around 2 hours though, if not a few minutes over. It started whittling down slowly after that.

I honestly think part of it is just based on feel. There is something to be said for leaving people wanting more vs. drained and 100% satisfied. I don't mean satisfied as in "I had a good time" vs. "boy that sucked." I mean, when I see a band that plays more than 2 hours, I usually love it but there's some element of checking your watch and getting a bit worn out. As long as a headliner does more than 1.5 hours, I'm fine with it. Hell, I'm going to see Ghost next week on a headlining tour and as I understand it, their set is only going to be around 1 hour.

I know the last Radiohead show I saw, which was apparently around 2 hours, I was pretty much done with it by the time they wrapped it up. Granted, much of that had to do with the setlist they played. Also, to "the other side's" credit, 2 hours of little 3-5 minute songs feels WAY longer than a 2 hour Tool set. I could easily watch Tool do 2 1/2 hours and not be worn out because the songs are so long.

But aside from venue/audience issues, I have never once been to any Tool show (even the much loathed 2009 tour) and not been 100% satisfied when I left. And I am a picky fucking bastard when it comes to live music. Different strokes though and all that.

It's more when it gets down to "Tool fucking sucks and is lazy and doesn't give the fans what they deserve" that I'm like, come on. If you're checking a stop watch, sure, they waver a bit. But when you're at the show, they almost all feel pretty complete and appropriate for a headlining act.

joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

To make another analogy: some films are 1 hr 20 min. Some are 2 hr 45 min. Others are 3.5 hours. All have advantages and disadvantages, and I think the same is true for concerts.

There's something to be said for not playing so long on certain tours. I'd be willing to bet that when the new album comes out and they tour it, they will go back to 2+ hour sets. 2 and change anyway. I don't think they'll ever play beyond 2:15 ever.
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

I think TOOL are gonna start doing 3 hour sets of their new double album while filming their live DVD, or Bluray or whatever the fuck.  Starting in June.
insaner
Bronco's Fan

Post by insaner »

i often find myself leaving a concert and looking at the stop watch i set right when the band came on.
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

toolphishdhs said

also the only band that doesnt encore. which is fine but lets be serious, can they say FUCK YOU! any louder to the fans?

You're still swayed by the bands that do an obligatory encore?  I could convince people to boo the shit out of some crappy local band and I'd still bet money they'd come out and do their "un-planned" encore.

Just play the music you planned to play, and leave the tired encore bullshit to the people that think they're novel.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

phox_ said

toolphishdhs said

also the only band that doesnt encore. which is fine but lets be serious, can they say FUCK YOU! any louder to the fans?

You're still swayed by the bands that do an obligatory encore?  I could convince people to boo the shit out of some crappy local band and I'd still bet money they'd come out and do their "un-planned" encore.

Just play the music you planned to play, and leave the tired encore bullshit to the people that think they're novel.

Yeah, I've never understood that encore bullshit.

Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

insaner said
i often find myself leaving a concert and looking at the stop watch i set right when the band came on.

So do I.  And I boo loudly when they haven't played for at least 2 hours.  It doesn't matter how much I've enjoyed the show, if I don't fell like I've got my monies worth then I let them have it on all barrels.

Fucking cash grabbing whores, all they care about is money.  Fuck them!
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

Just watched my bootleg DVD of Tool in 98 in San Jose. Most of us would jizz our pants to hear a set list like that..H, Eulogy,Part of Me and many other classics. 

Probably my favorite live performance I've seen from them. Maynard was in rare form. Surely some of you guys have seen this

Part of Me

Eulogy

Stinkfist

H

3rd Eye

Sober

No Quarter

Aenima

Opiate

Flood

joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

10 fucking songs?! That's it!? Lazy pricks. Not even a segue I bet. 
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

joeypants said
10 fucking songs?! That's it!? Lazy pricks. Not even a segue I bet. 

I bet they did that tour for the money as well those greedy fucks
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

In recent tours they've played 7 of those songs.

And people would complain about that list. Any set list would get complained about.
Hey! Denty!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Bogart said
Just watched my bootleg DVD of Tool in 98 in San Jose. Most of us would jizz our pants to hear a set list like that..H, Eulogy,Part of Me and many other classics. 

Probably my favorite live performance I've seen from them. Maynard was in rare form. Surely some of you guys have seen this

Part of Me

Eulogy

Stinkfist

H

3rd Eye

Sober

No Quarter

Aenima

Opiate

Flood

Given the year, this would be the perfect setlist to me.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

It's right at 90 minutes. It's awesome. I urge people to try and find this. King Buzzo joins them on stage for Stinkfist. Maynard has a lot of interaction with the crowd and a lot of dancing on his part. Also, no crazy light/stage show, just the boys out there rocking out. I break out out once or twice a year and it always impresses me. I wish I could have seen them back then.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

That famous Michigan 1998 bootleg is amazing too (audio only, I believe).
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

The Michigan one was an off-fest night for them, I believe. It's the soundboard one with Stranglehold. If you don't have it I HIGHLY recommend.

And of course, different strokes. I would've loved to have been there that night, but honestly I'd take a Lateralus or 10K Days era show over it. I know...
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

joeypants said
The Michigan one was an off-fest night for them, I believe. It's the soundboard one with Stranglehold. If you don't have it I HIGHLY recommend.

And of course, different strokes. I would've loved to have been there that night, but honestly I'd take a Lateralus or 10K Days era show over it. I know...

I do believe I experienced the best of TOOL during the AUS/NZ "LATERALUS" tour . . .

Just personally - because, I guess, I haven't experienced anything better.

But I keep seeing setlists from different eras, and I'm happy that I got it all during those shows. Except for "Third Eye" *herein lies the superangry emoticon that I want to exist*

thesheedspot
My pain is just an excuse

Post by thesheedspot »

^ i just got this yesterday. its pretty easy to locate on the major sites and is def worth having if you like tool boots. stinkfist and stranglehold with buzz are really solid and the extended/salival version of pushit is at least as good if not better than the one that showed up on the album.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Not to rub it in, but I cannot express in words what it was like to be there opening night in New Orleans in 2010 (after the 2009 tours too), kind of expecting another retread. And then the lights go down, that heartbeat comes on followed quickly by Dr. Leary. My friend has a video standing next to me where you can hear my exact reaction, but I don't think I'll ever share that. It's embarrassing. I may or may not have quietly gotten choked up by the time it got to "So good to see you; I've missed you so much..."

And if that wasn't enough, by the time I'd recouped from the shock we got The Patient followed by Intolerance. Fuck. I want to go back to that show. Also they had cut an already tiny arena in half, so it was essentially a small theater show.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

toolphishdhs said
as i am far more a justin era fan. i much prefer things when they dropped most of undertow and opiate. those albums held them back musically.  Lateralus 01 -02 (although MJK started losing his voice near the end of 02 so there is that) tour was their peak as far as live musical achievement. 

"Flood". "4 Degrees".