Tool - 8th, 9th May 2013 - Vector Arena, Auckland

NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

dickleiper said
yep the VIP experience was the real highlight for me. Couple that with the Bands reaction to their performance & the chest pumps Adam gave the crowd at the end of night two in Auckland.  It just reinforced to me where Tool are as a band right now, the furure looks bright...

Chest pumps? I didn't catch that at the show, yet have heard a few people on here mention it. What exactly did he do? lol
trustinmeandfall
My pain is just an excuse

Post by trustinmeandfall »

yea i didn't catch the chest pumps either. 

Anyone know what songs they play between the opener and the show? I know one of them was rammstein but couldn't id any of the others
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

One of the songs was that Trans Am one that Danny picked during the Triple J Take5.

Re: Adam's second night reactions, I didnt see any chest pumps, but he definitely looked to be soaking up the adoration of the crowd more than the first night, he stood quite still for at least a minute following the last bars of Stinkfist with his guitar still strapped on while the other guys were waving, eventually he removed his guitar and held it up to the crowd before joining in with the others. Hell, even Maynard stayed out on stage giving peace signs much longer than previous shows. I like to think they appreciated the massive reception they got here in NZ.
dickleiper
of Arimathea

Post by dickleiper »

re: Rammstein song was Spiel Mit Mir (which was apparently played during the intermission at one of the Melbourne shows)

re: Adams chest/fist pumping- so yea as stinkfist finished up and the lights on stage light up, the energy between the crownd and band was perttyy intense but the crowd particulaly on Justins side where we were sitting were giving a massive ovation for them while they were doing their usual post show hugging on stage, then adam walks over to thank the crowd and was clearly animated (as they all where because i'm pretty sure every single every person in the arena knew they had absoluetly nailed that performance) he starts crossing his arms and pumping them against his chest, then he does it with one one fist, reminicent of a sports player pumping their teams emblem on the jersey, it was quite a site to behold.

And its these reasons why i probably rate this show above any other Tool show i've been too. I've had better set lists, but the reaction by band and crowd made this one a night to remember.

And also having met him in the VIP and seeing how excited he was to be doing it and meeting the fans, i can only imagine he was stoked with the performance and reception they recieved in NZ and lilkely the entire tour. As i said in an earlier post, i and many here maybe had a few concerns about the band prior to this tour, but as Justin said (possibly in that Triple J radio interview???) in a round about way they were looking to rediscover their Mojo as a band this tour and i think they did that....the future looks bright for Tool. 
NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

dickleiper said
re: Rammstein song was Spiel Mit Mir (which was apparently played during the intermission at one of the Melbourne shows)

re: Adams chest/fist pumping- so yea as stinkfist finished up and the lights on stage light up, the energy between the crownd and band was perttyy intense but the crowd particulaly on Justins side where we were sitting were giving a massive ovation for them while they were doing their usual post show hugging on stage, then adam walks over to thank the crowd and was clearly animated (as they all where because i'm pretty sure every single every person in the arena knew they had absoluetly nailed that performance) he starts crossing his arms and pumping them against his chest, then he does it with one one fist, reminicent of a sports player pumping their teams emblem on the jersey, it was quite a site to behold.

And its these reasons why i probably rate this show above any other Tool show i've been too. I've had better set lists, but the reaction by band and crowd made this one a night to remember.

And also having met him in the VIP and seeing how excited he was to be doing it and meeting the fans, i can only imagine he was stoked with the performance and reception they recieved in NZ and lilkely the entire tour. As i said in an earlier post, i and many here maybe had a few concerns about the band prior to this tour, but as Justin said (possibly in that Triple J radio interview???) in a round about way they were looking to rediscover their Mojo as a band this tour and i think they did that....the future looks bright for Tool. 

I still can't picture it in my head. Am I retarded? Was it one of those fist pumps where you punch the air? And when he crossed his arms, was it like how you were meant to in primary school? Sorry, I'm confused lol...

inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

Not that I can reference this from any personal experience... but do you really think there is a strong distinguishable vibe that a band like Tool can measure when they're consistently performing every couple of days to 10k+ fans on a tour? Just wondering. 

Personally I think it would have to do with paying a little more attention to atone for being away for so long (BDO excluded)... something about respecting the Tool:NZ per capita thing? Should've gone to Christchurch. 

Funny though how us Kiwis like to hear/see other (successful) people embracing us as a comforting validation of our existence in the middle of nowhere - did they feature on the news at all? David Farrier usually weasels an interview for 3. 

Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

He did interview with them for Rip it Up in January. I was actually standing near him in GA on the second night, he was explaining to the chick he was with about how they'd play Third Eye first, lol.
NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

Gwarden said
He did interview with them for Rip it Up in January. I was actually standing near him in GA on the second night, he was explaining to the chick he was with about how they'd play Third Eye first, lol.

I was explaining to the person that I was with, saying that Adam would be on the left, Justin on the right, and Maynard at the back between Adam and Danny. And then some belligerent douchebag interrupts our conversation and says "Maynard's not going to be there. Quit acting like you know everything." I then preceded to let him know that the band composition has been basically the same since the Lateralus era. He then stares me down, looking for god knows what, probably a fight. I hated that guy. Rant over.

inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

NickTheGC said

Gwarden said

I was explaining to the person that I was with, saying that Adam would be on the left, Justin on the right, and Maynard at the back between Adam and Danny. And then some belligerent douchebag interrupts our conversation and says "Maynard's not going to be there. Quit acting like you know everything." I then preceded to let him know that the band composition has been basically the same since the Lateralus era. He then stares me down, looking for god knows what, probably a fight. I hated that guy. Rant over.

Did you fan him off with your merch receipts?

I'm genuinely surprised there wasn't more quality media coverage of them being in town, although I was only really checking Stuff.co.nz.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

NickTheGC said 

Yeah, I've had similar arguments with people insisting that Maynard played at the front of them last time they were here
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

inequitude said
Not that I can reference this from any personal experience... but do you really think there is a strong distinguishable vibe that a band like Tool can measure when they're consistently performing every couple of days to 10k+ fans on a tour? Just wondering. 

Personally I think it would have to do with paying a little more attention to atone for being away for so long (BDO excluded)... something about respecting the Tool:NZ per capita thing? Should've gone to Christchurch. 

Funny though how us Kiwis like to hear/see other (successful) people embracing us as a comforting validation of our existence in the middle of nowhere - did they feature on the news at all? David Farrier usually weasels an interview for 3. 

Not that I've ever played to 10K people before but I'd say a definite yes... Not that we're any good, but I play in a band & have found you can play a song 20 times and there's that one version that isn't any tighter than the other but something about it, has that intangible quality that just bursts with energy.. Can't explain it but can testify that yeah, when you're on, you definitely feel the energy, regardless of how many shows you've played..

Primal
Maynard Believer

Post by Primal »

inequitude said

He was there for the VIP on Wednesday....

http://www.3news.co.nz/Tool-review/tabi ... fault.aspx

dickleiper
of Arimathea

Post by dickleiper »

NickTheGC said
I still can't picture it in my head. Am I retarded? Was it one of those fist pumps where you punch the air? And when he crossed his arms, was it like how you were meant to in primary school? Sorry, I'm confused lol...

The best way i can describe the chest pumping, is like when a football player sores a goal, they often celebrate by pumping their fists against their chest and in particular the emblem on the jersey to their fans. thats what it felt like to me. Never seen that type of emotion from him before.

can only imagine it was culmination of various things- not touring here in 12 years, the whole VIP experience and connecting with the fans, the show was absolutely flawless and the crowd responce at the end.
dickleiper
of Arimathea

Post by dickleiper »

inequitude said

Danny said in the radio interview with Tracey from th Rock FM, they had planned to go to Chch, but could not get a suitable venue that wasnt earthquake damaged.

completely agree with your comments about us a nation needing positve reinforcement from the rest of the world. Its sickening sometimes...
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

dickleiper said
Danny said in the radio interview with Tracey from th Rock FM, they had planned to go to Chch, but could not get a suitable venue that wasnt earthquake damaged.

I remember Danny saying that.  Is there a suitable venue in Christchurch at the moment?
Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

How hard is it just to set up a stage on a farm?

Geez
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Well I wonder why they didn't make it there then.  Maybe the schedule was too tight.  Junior told me Perth couldn't be visited because there just wasn't time between Puscifer @ Coachella and Ozzfest Japan to make it happen - perhaps Christchurch came under the same category.

Anyway, here's hoping Tool do a full Oz/NZ non-festival tour when the next album comes out.
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

hellboy1975 said

Anyway, here's hoping Tool do a full Oz/NZ non-festival tour when the next album comes out.

HA HA HA!! 
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

hellboy1975 said
Well I wonder why they didn't make it there then.  Maybe the schedule was too tight.  Junior told me Perth couldn't be visited because there just wasn't time between Puscifer @ Coachella and Ozzfest Japan to make it happen - perhaps Christchurch came under the same category.

Yeah totally - the logistics of trucking everything from one island to the other would be a challenge, similar to Perth (replace islands with red dirt) - time and money... the latter probably not such an issue, but all the same.
NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

dickleiper said

NickTheGC said

The best way i can describe the chest pumping, is like when a football player sores a goal, they often celebrate by pumping their fists against their chest and in particular the emblem on the jersey to their fans. thats what it felt like to me. Never seen that type of emotion from him before.

can only imagine it was culmination of various things- not touring here in 12 years, the whole VIP experience and connecting with the fans, the show was absolutely flawless and the crowd responce at the end.

I'm still imagining Adam as a gorrila beating his chest. Bahahaha

NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

hellboy1975 said

dickleiper said

I remember Danny saying that.  Is there a suitable venue in Christchurch at the moment?

Hell no. It doesn't matter whether there's an "in tact" venue or not. The whole city is a mess, streets closed, everything. I don't see why they didn't go to Dunedin though, (also in the South Island) as we've got a brand new stadium, roof cover and all. Quite a few shows there that have been no where else in NZ, like Elton John and Aerosmith. Oh well, I'm just happy I got to see them period (:

Gwarden
Fanboi

Post by Gwarden »

^Talking out of your ass dude. None of the streets around the Arena are closed and there's plenty of accommodation etc. Whatever reason for not coming here had nothing to do with the facilities or lack of.
Mehpuppet
Maynard Believer

Post by Mehpuppet »

^Maybe there was something already booked at the same time?  I don't know though, just a guess.  I know they have played that venue a few times in the past. But then I was also told by APCs tour manager at the ChCh gig that it costs bands as much to get from Auckland to ChCh as it does to get to Auckland from Aussie.  Maybe it was just numbers not adding up to make it worth the effort?

I was pretty bummed that they couldn't come South though.  First time I saw Tool was in ChCh at that Arena on the Pre-Seminal Tour.