Tool - 8th, 9th May 2013 - Vector Arena, Auckland

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/8 ... -on-flight

A passenger on the flight said the heavy metallers yelled at staff to change the music to American band Tool, and when staff declined, they proceeded to play their own music on the boom box.

The duo were fans of Tool, who played a show at Vector Arena in Auckland on Wednesday night.

The passenger said the men were drinking their own alcohol, and when warned by airline staff they would be fined for doing so, they became enraged and stood up to harass the couple that "dobbed them in for drinking".

When one of the offensive passengers realised police were waiting for him at the airport, he tried to change his clothes to hide from them, the passenger said.

The witness, who had also attended the Tool concert, said the pair were giving heavy metal fans a bad name.

"Half the plane including myself are also Tool fans and know how to behave," she said.

A Jetstar spokesman said "one of the two had definitely been drinking", they were "rowdy and their behaviour was unsociable".

A Christchurch police spokesman said airport police officers met the pair, one of whom was believed to be in his 40s and the other in his late teens or early 20s, when they left the plane.

"We spoke to the two people involved and gave them an informal warning," he said.

Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Agreed on Intension , at least while in GA. I dig the fuck out of the song & didn't find it to be out of place in the set at all, but lighting the whole crowd up seemed to take the atmosphere out & get everyone talking amongst themselves during the song, where as when seated it was still dark enough in the seats & the crowd managed to stay with it. 
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/8 ... -on-flight

A passenger on the flight said the heavy metallers yelled at staff to change the music to American band Tool, and when staff declined, they proceeded to play their own music on the boom box.

The duo were fans of Tool, who played a show at Vector Arena in Auckland on Wednesday night.

The passenger said the men were drinking their own alcohol, and when warned by airline staff they would be fined for doing so, they became enraged and stood up to harass the couple that "dobbed them in for drinking".

When one of the offensive passengers realised police were waiting for him at the airport, he tried to change his clothes to hide from them, the passenger said.

The witness, who had also attended the Tool concert, said the pair were giving heavy metal fans a bad name.

"Half the plane including myself are also Tool fans and know how to behave," she said.

A Jetstar spokesman said "one of the two had definitely been drinking", they were "rowdy and their behaviour was unsociable".

A Christchurch police spokesman said airport police officers met the pair, one of whom was believed to be in his 40s and the other in his late teens or early 20s, when they left the plane.

"We spoke to the two people involved and gave them an informal warning," he said.

LOL x 1,000,000

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Busty McCracken said
Agreed on Intension , at least while in GA. I dig the fuck out of the song & didn't find it to be out of place in the set at all, but lighting the whole crowd up seemed to take the atmosphere out & get everyone talking amongst themselves during the song, where as when seated it was still dark enough in the seats & the crowd managed to stay with it. 

Wow... can anyone confirm this was the case in Melbs?  I was way upfront and completely oblivious to this if it were the case.  Thankfully so, too, cuz between loving that track and the great lighting display going on, it was easily a highlight of the gig for me.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
spiral2spiral
Bronco's Fan

Post by spiral2spiral »

Melbourne night 1, they didn't "light the whole crowd up" but instead had an searchlight-style light rolling through the crowd. Gave a very weird, cool, surreal vibe, along with the red glitter confetti that came down from the mirrorball area. 

Pretty sure they did likewise both nights in Sydney, but in both cases I was GA, and very close to the front and completely absorbed in the song, so wasn't paying attention to what was happening behind me (Whereas in Melbourne I was sitting)
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

spiral2spiral said
Melbourne night 1, they didn't "light the whole crowd up" but instead had an searchlight-style light rolling through the crowd. Gave a very weird, cool, surreal vibe, along with the red glitter confetti that came down from the mirrorball area. 

Pretty sure they did likewise both nights in Sydney, but in both cases I was GA, and very close to the front and completely absorbed in the song, so wasn't paying attention to what was happening behind me (Whereas in Melbourne I was sitting)

yeah man, completely missed the spotlight and confetti... twas absorbed in the tune myself and I was oblivious to all behind me.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Righteousfervor
Bronco's Fan

Post by Righteousfervor »

They had the red glitter in Auckland was the best bit as personally I find the song to be pretty boring filler. Crowd around me were all just talking amongst themselves after a few minutes of it when the cool red glitter had been watched for while.
Ettan
Fanboi

Post by Ettan »

this is fucking amazing
tOOLNZ
Maynard Believer

Post by tOOLNZ »

Nice video! love maynards quote to crowd "you don't even know his fucking name do you" haha

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Nice little birthday song then they jam the fuck out of Aenema.  Very cool.
Hey! Denty!
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

Fuck I wish I was back home for these shows, that crowd actually sounds like they're enjoying themselves unlike the boring bunch of fucktards we got in Melbourne, well on the first night anyway.
dickleiper
of Arimathea

Post by dickleiper »

Fuck I wish I was back home for these shows, that crowd actually sounds like they're enjoying themselves unlike the boring bunch of fucktards we got in Melbourne, well on the first night anyway.

The crowd on the second night, albeit smaller were much more vocal i thought. it was a much tighter performance from the band too and they knew it at the end. i've never seen Adam show as much emotion after a show as he did on night two.

i'll do a more detailed review of my experiences when i got some time.

OK, got some more time so here a my brief review:

After being super super pumped for the VIP, the mood was killed somewhat having to wait for about 1hr & half for it to kick off. Finally the waiting was over and we were let into the Arena. we all moved very quickly to a white line about 20m from the front Barrier. the band all waved to us including Maynard and they launched into vicarious, such a sureal moment standing there in an empty arena listening to it. shit it was loud too!!. Once that finished Maynayd left and adam ushered us forward to the front Barrier, when someone shouted out "play swamp song" they chatted breifly and agreed to play it. Adam also said "if we fuck it up blame him" pointing to Justin lol. They then played Aenema, which was by far the best track for me, so loud and such a powerful song even without the lyrics. couldnt beleive how loud it was, our ears were all ringing by the time we walked to the Q&A room.

By now, we (30 odd people) were all grining from ear to ear and adam walks in....such a cool, friendly, down to earth guy. He chatted very cadidly about How tool operate as a band, write and construct their songs. Their preference for the use of odd time signatures and even showed us live examples. he talked about their privacy as a band and how they are slowly coming around to social Media, and the digital age. even mentioned our good mate "Crow" and his comments he wrote on Adam's facebook page about Korin several months ago.

He then, hooked up his ipod to some speakers and played a backing track for Jambi, all other parts but his and he played his live. i'm never been a huge Jambi fan, it was fucking awesome!!! kept on looking around at my mate with the same stupid "OMG" expression.

To be honest, i was a little overcome by the whole experience i didnt feel the need to rattle off the several questions i had planned to, but he did confirm the following:

- no unreleased studio material
- enough material for 10 songs and still aiming for end of year (but dont quote him)
- Yes theer are plans to release the next album digitally

He then passsed his guitar around the group as he continued to answer questions. Signed stuff and took pictures with us all. the whole session lasted for a little over an hour and the VIP a litle over 2 hrs. Money well spent in my mind.

Righto real brief reviews of the shows- Night 1

We had GA, which i was little nervous about cos i'n not tall and like to see everything going on. my legs were killing me (recent legs issues which i wont go into) too so always knew i was going to struggle. having said that, i had a blast, really enjoyed it, little disappointed they didnt play HWAP or have the big centre screen like in aus but all in all a great night, we had some tool virgins in the group and seeing their faces during and after the show was probably more enjoyable. the crowd were well up for it too.

Night 2

So After an all nighter with some friends wth no sleep i wasnt sure if we were going to get up for round two, but it didnt take long...we arrived early to our seats (which were awesome!) for Jakob, who were excellent!!!. As the lights dimmed, a heart beat started, i knew they were about to bust into HWAP and it was all on again!. Followed by an amazing version of Sober. They were so much tighter the second night, everything about the show was flawless, lasershow, lighting, sound, vocals. a sing along for Danny's birthday, the crowd were well up for it again, a smaller crowd but much more vocal. The icing on the cake was when they finished the set, they all stood and looked at each other knowing they had nailed it, even maynard hung around for a bit longer than usual. the night came to a close as Adam walked to each corner of ths stage and beat his fist against his chest to the crowd several times, an expression and emotion that will stay with me forever.

This gig was right up there as my best of all time.

All in all, an amazing couple of days for this Tool fan....
tOOLNZ
Maynard Believer

Post by tOOLNZ »

Thanks for the review, the VIP sounds awesome wish I had done it.

I agree with you on night 1 vs night 2. I was seated night one (awesome seats and loved 3rd eye) and GA night two. I felt the band were way tighter night two and yes was awesome to see the bands reaction after stinkfist finished. Even Maynard hanging around is rare! what a great couple of days!!!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

dickleiper said 
By now, we (30 odd people) were all grining from ear to ear and adam walks in....such a cool, friendly, down to earth guy. He chatted very cadidly about How tool operate as a band, write and construct their songs. Their preference for the use of odd time signatures and even showed us live examples. he talked about their privacy as a band and how they are slowly coming around to social Media, and the digital age. even mentioned our good mate "Crow" and his comments he wrote on Adam's facebook page about Korin several months ago.

Haha - is that for real?
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

You can't just glaze over that part. Please expand.
Hotdog
Fanboi

Post by Hotdog »

Yes, elaborate.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said

dickleiper said 

Haha - is that for real?

LOL, I call bullshit.

Still stand by what I said, though. And I think it was more like a year ago.

dickleiper
of Arimathea

Post by dickleiper »

Haha - is that for real?
yep, 100% real. Adam was chatting about how as a band they were slowly becoming more accepting of Social Media, and being more accessible to fans etc, and that it did have a downside, he used the example of guy that wrote insulting statements on his facebook page regarding photo's of his girlfriend. i immediately raised my hand, Adam looked at me, pointed his finger and said "so it was you!!" to which the entire room laughed. I lauhged to too and said no but i know the guy on Fourtheye. He goes by the name crow.

He later jokingly referenced us as friends, i cant remember how it came up, but he said, you and your mate crow, the entire room laughed again....
Primal
Maynard Believer

Post by Primal »

hellboy1975 said

dickleiper said 

Haha - is that for real?

Someone asked if he goes online much to look at feedback etc from the fans. He said that occasionally he does, most of it is fan-praise stuff that he generally glosses over. Then somehow got onto talking about how he generally doesn't pay too much attention - except for the message about Korin. So he did the 'unfriend' on facebook as he's really proud of her work as an artist etc, and thought the comments crossed a line or something

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

LOL, good on him.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

It must be hard for celebrities to pay too much attention to social media - you get the same old fans posting again and again trying to grab your attention, tagged in dozens of shitty phone photos and home made artwork.  If I were in that situation I'd largely tune out as well.

I'd love to see members of the band participate in an AMA or some other Q&A type session.
Primal
Maynard Believer

Post by Primal »

I was really impressed with the VIP package - if they did something like this again I'd be down for it, unless it was with Maynard as I could see that would just be sitting in a room with a guy giving you this uninterested death stare that cuts right through you for half an hour or so, and then he'd just get up and leave without saying anything...

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said
It must be hard for celebrities to pay too much attention to social media - you get the same old fans posting again and again trying to grab your attention, tagged in dozens of shitty phone photos and home made artwork.  If I were in that situation I'd largely tune out as well.

I'd love to see members of the band participate in an AMA or some other Q&A type session.

I think that will happen before the next album, after the interest and success of the VIP packages.

dickleiper
of Arimathea

Post by dickleiper »

yep the VIP experience was the real highlight for me. Couple that with the Bands reaction to their performance & the chest pumps Adam gave the crowd at the end of night two in Auckland.  It just reinforced to me where Tool are as a band right now, the furure looks bright...
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Primal said
I was really impressed with the VIP package - if they did something like this again I'd be down for it, unless it was with Maynard as I could see that would just be sitting in a room with a guy giving you this uninterested death stare that cuts right through you for half an hour or so, and then he'd just get up and leave without saying anything...

Honestly, I would probably to go to that.

Don't mow your lawn