Tool - 6th May 2013 - Entertainment Centre, Brisbane, QLD

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

The final Australian show of the 2013 Tool tour takes place at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre.  This time around Brisbane isn't half flooded, so there should be no worries getting to the show!

Running order is:

5:30pm | Doors Open (Outer) 
7:00pm | Doors Open (Inner) 
7:30pm | Special Guest 
8:40pm | Tool

*Please note times are a guide only and subject to change without notice.

There are still tickets available from Brisbane, though General Admission and some A reserve sections are sold out.  If you're keen to be in these areas you can try the ticket trading thread.

There is a Sip & Listen Wine Tasting event prior to the show at Wine Experience Baroona Rd in Rosalie Village.  Starts at 10am and goes through until 8pm.

Spoilers are welcome in this thread, however negative posts from those who didn't attend the show won't be.  You've been warned...

Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Well I'm the silly cunt that forked out all that cash to see em 3 times , so  am flying out in the morning to catch this too... lsat nights gonna be hard to top but here's hoping for a Gooden.. 
PaulB
Maynard Believer

Post by PaulB »

Seen all 5 shows of this tour so far. They seem to be tightening up the show with each performance and seem to have brushed the cobwebs out by now. I'm hoping that this is a great show as it's the last one I'll see until they come back in about 3 or 4 years. Last time I was at this venue, it was to see Tool back in 2011, and they were spot on.

I've done the road trip from city to city and I'm currently staying in Grafton tonight, after travelling 6 hours from Sydney today. Anyone have any recommendations as to where to stay when I get to Brisbane in the afternoon tomorrow? I could look for accommodation out in Boondall but I'm guessing it's more logical to just stay in Brisbane and drive the extra distance to and from the show.
trustinmeandfall
My pain is just an excuse

Post by trustinmeandfall »

We're staying at the Punthill (downtown I think?) which is nice but we came up from Canada so not sure if there's somewhere better for you to stay. It's also a bit of a drive from the venue and looks like about a $60 cab ride from there too
Sprout
Bronco's Fan

Post by Sprout »

Hooker With a Penis

Opiate

Schism

Pushit

Intension

Lateralus

Intermission

Jambi

46+2

Aenima

Stinkfist
Sprout
Bronco's Fan

Post by Sprout »

Fucking epic concert too!!
JizzyMcJizz
Maynard Believer

Post by JizzyMcJizz »

It was good. Not great. I was on the fence and honestly the whole band looks pretty bored. Melbourne night 2 was my favorite show outta the 3 I saw. I'd love to know why the intermission got changed after Melbourne night 1? Turning on the house lights and not having any music even if it is some synth noise kills the atmosphere.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

JizzyMcJizz said
I'd love to know why the intermission got changed after Melbourne night 1? Turning on the house lights and not having any music even if it is some synth noise kills the atmosphere.

Sounds like a fuck up?  Was this the first night this happened?  Haven't heard it mentioned prior.

Jr, if you're lurking, any insight?
Ki77aan :twisted:
JizzyMcJizz
Maynard Believer

Post by JizzyMcJizz »

Kittaan said

JizzyMcJizz said
I'd love to know why the intermission got changed after Melbourne night 1? Turning on the house lights and not having any music even if it is some synth noise kills the atmosphere.

Sounds like a fuck up?  Was this the first night this happened?  Haven't heard it mentioned prior.

Jr, if you're lurking, any insight?

I have no idea if it was. I just know they did the syths/asteroids on the back screen first show of the tour. Then the next night they didn't and tonight they didn't either.

zebrax0r
Maynard Believer

Post by zebrax0r »

So, I guess everyone is free to interpret it how they want and everyone has a different perception, but...

Having seen Tool 7 times now spanning 12 years, I can honestly say they continue to grow as a band. As technology changes, they change, too. They play harder, work harder and give it more - especially Danny. The man is a beast.

Maynard doesn't move and wriggle like he once did, but his voice is 100% there - and I believe he gave it what he had to give. We stood at the front of the mixing desk/FOH control area right dead centre. We could see Jr et al. doing their thing. Some guy begged and begged for a set list at the end of the show - which was entertaining, and then a different guy randomly walked up and was given it. Funny.

There was nothing about this show that wasn't beautiful and wonderful - with everyone smiling as the confetti smattered all over the shop. I think these guys really are all about the art form and getting it right, and progressing the vision/art/science behind it all.

We all had a great time - and I can imagine it might be a while until we see them again.

A wonderful experience. 

--z
thesheedspot

Post by thesheedspot »

as this little run continues it seems like the people going to the shows are enjoying them and the people posting online about them from the other side of the world are the ones that have negative thoughts to share.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

zebrax0r said

Some guy begged and begged for a set list at the end of the show - which was entertaining, and then a different guy randomly walked up and was given it. Funny.

He probably had one of these:

Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

JizzyMcJizz said
It was good. Not great. I was on the fence and honestly the whole band looks pretty bored. Melbourne night 2 was my favorite show outta the 3 I saw. I'd love to know why the intermission got changed after Melbourne night 1? Turning on the house lights and not having any music even if it is some synth noise kills the atmosphere.

That's exactly how it was in Adelaide.  They should have had Intermission running on a loop.
Sprout
Bronco's Fan

Post by Sprout »

6th time seeing them since 02

We had seats pretty well direct front on about 10 rows back. Easily the best mix I've ever heard at a live gig. All 4 were pretty even and I've never heard Maynard so much before, normally mixed right down (maybe just where I've been located before), and he was excellent last night. Also best production/ light show they've ever had, well done Junior and team, amazing.

(3rd Eye heartbeat) HWAP - What an opener, first time seeing this song was so chuffed to get it and they nailed it.

(Maynardism something like, "Brizzy. We're going to change things up a bit tonight. Gonna read poetry and eat cookies instead. Do a bunch of Coldplay covers.)

Opiate - Wasn't super excited to see, but Maynard fucking nailed it, when he belted the scream out you knew he was on it for the night.

(Maynardism something like - "Best song Coldplay has ever written.")

Schism - Extended intro is cool, always dig the visuals at the end of this.

Pushit - Can die happy, first time seeing this one and they smashed it, Danny solo and all. I think it was this one they used some old visuals which was cool to see, old mate with his face bouncing in and out. Might have been another track...

Intension - I dig this song, haters can lickem.

Lateralus - There's a reason this won the best song poll. Little extended bit was cool too.

Intermission - Was expecting some form of soundscape, just the clock, went and got beers anyway so meh.

Back from intermission, Danny with his new toy was cool, but wasn't expecting a massive drum solo with just him on stage. What a treat and lead perfectly into...

Jambi - I fucking love this track! One of their heavier ones. Justin smashed it. Got the mosh going.

46+2 - Again, perfect.

(Maynardism - "Goodnight" (boos from crowd) "Goodnight?" (cheers) "Goodnight")

Aenima - Seen this quite a few times never ceases to amaze, I think the disco ball tries to mimic the look of the walls from the clip, pretty cool.

Stinkfist - Extended version, how long have they been playing it this way and people still fall for it lol. "I'll. Keep. D'oh..." There was actually crowd surfing which I got a bit nostalgic about seeing haha.

They all stayed on stage applauding the crowd, even Maynard clapped the crowd and curtsied a few times.

Overall brilliant gig, NZ no need to worry about Maynard he was fantastic last night, rather animated too. Danny's just ridiculous. Justin is a machine, really rocks out. I think if anyone fucks up it's usually Adam. He had a couple of little hiccups and got lost a few times, just watch your drummer FFS haha. Also, that's a mean setlist really, people need to calm the fuck down. As soon as they're there on stage in front of you it ceases to matter. As has been said they really do nail everything after intermission though, they've definitely got those ones down. For a post Maynards voices peak show (meaning not 90s/early 00s) I'd give it 10/10.

Oh I asked for 3 signed posters at merch, she grabs 3 random ones from the pile, one has an Adam doodle! I'll get a pic up.
Sprout
Bronco's Fan

Post by Sprout »

craigw
Maynard Believer

Post by craigw »

Hi all,

Been lurking on this site for a fair few weeks now in the build up to Tools tour in Oz. Last night was my 6th time seeing them, I decided (after permission from the boss (aka wifey) to go VIP. Although expensive it made for an incredible experience. Will try and fit in as much as I can and apologies if I waffle on a bit.

Rock up to the Entertainment Centre at 3:30pm. Quickly ushered in after getting our wristbands and then taken to the reception. After a small wait I could hear the guys working through Jambi. Thought it wouldn’t be long until we would be through into the arena to watch the band sound check. After 45 mins (which felt like hours!) we were ushered into the hallway; finally getting closer. I could now hear them working through parts of Third Eye. It was getting frustrating being kept outside but I knew it wouldn’t be too much longer. The room fell silent and suddenly we were given the green light, a red tape line about 5 metres from the barrier had been laid down. The 30 odd people from the VIP experience spread out along the line, eyes fixated on each member of the band and what we were going to hear.

After some twiddling and discussion Adam starts to play the intro to Vicarious. They run through the song in its entirety, Maynard singing through his loud speaker; as is now custom; missing out the longer notes. The band finish to a round of applause from us all. Maynard thanks us and then vanishes from the stage, never to be seen again. Interestingly before he leaves he has a quick discussion on the set list with Adam. Adam then takes the set list to Danny and I could make out names of songs. I distinctly remember Vicarious and Third Eye being mentioned about being moved around, thinking they would both feature in the set, but after the show it’s quite possible Maynard decided to pull them for whatever reason.

Possibly the highlight of the whole experience was now to come. Incredibly Justin asks from the stage ‘What do you guys want to hear’. To my delight, a guy to my right shouts out Eulogy. Justin then comically replies ‘Nah mate’ to laughter from all of us. I was expecting him to then ask for another song until Adam walks over and agrees to try to give it ago. Danny calls out from behind his drum kit that he is up for playing it. Adam explains they haven’t played it in over a year so they might fuck up. We all reassure him that we don’t care. So the three of them play though Eulogy, stopping on one or two occasions, but quickly composing themselves to continue and see the song out in its entirety. Throughout the whole song you could see the smiles on Danny and Justin’s faces, clearly enjoying the opportunity of playing an old classic.

Quickly after they have finished Eulogy we are ushered away by the tour organiser/bodyguard type guy. It was an incredible experience but I am left a little disappointed after reading the one guys review of Melbourne in that they got to see the band play 4/5 songs. Still, we leave the room knowing we have the Q and A with Adam to come. Exciting times ahead and will go into this a bit later today.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Thanks for the review Craig - having see them play Eulogy at the soundcheck sounds pretty awesome!  I'd rather hear that then hear them play 4-5 songs they'll play on the night anyway!
ciab
Maynard Believer

Post by ciab »

So this is my first post in awhile.

I thought last night was Hard, Fast and Loud. The best I've seen. 9th time I've seen them.

Got to the gig to find line ups to get in and security was tight (looking for cameras mainly) although I saw lots of studded belts in the bins etc. Checked out the merch next. Saw a signed drum head for $400, Opiate reissue with artwork for $1000, signed poster was $140, signed poster with adam artwork $500 and left over other shows signed poster with adam artwork $250.

Then went inside and found a spot on the floor. They were running 20mins late or so. And then the 3rd eye heart beat started which had me a little disappointed as I wanted to see hooker, but then Adam broke into Hooker and it was good. Real good. I remember most songs had a different extended intro and extended middle parts. Maynard was in excellent voice. only missing a couple of lines in pushit. As others had mentioned, there was no music during the 12min intermission.

I have never seen security in the pit before, but they were there either taking out the smokers or camera people. I managed to grab one of their security badges. (The tool badge i found on the floor after the gig)

I thought they played vicarious not jambi. But I'm obviously wrong. I remember Maynard saying "Thank you. Good night" like three times and I sought of read between the lines and thought he was saying "Thank you. (its been a) Good night". Then all to soon the confetti went off and maynard gave some peace signs and walked off and the rest of the band stayed on clapping to the crowd and it was all over.

lipanconjuring
of Arimathea

Post by lipanconjuring »

That's cool to hear that they winged Eulogy during the soundcheck, even if Maynard wasn't there. I'd have loved to be there for that. 
rimb

Post by rimb »

lipanconjuring said
That's cool to hear that they winged Eulogy during the soundcheck, even if Maynard wasn't there. I'd have loved to be there for that. 

Yeah, but who played the "hairdryer" ???

(sorry, been reading some old reviews of '98 shows on TDN....)
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

ciab said
So this is my first post in awhile.

I thought last night was Hard, Fast and Loud. The best I've seen. 9th time I've seen them.

Got to the gig to find line ups to get in and security was tight (looking for cameras mainly) although I saw lots of studded belts in the bins etc. Checked out the merch next. Saw a signed drum head for $400, Opiate reissue with artwork for $1000, signed poster was $140, signed poster with adam artwork $500 and left over other shows signed poster with adam artwork $250.

That sets an uncomfortable antecedent for future eBay auctions . . .

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

Great. So they've gone and left the country now.

I hope you're all happy......
lipanconjuring
of Arimathea

Post by lipanconjuring »

THANKS OBAMA
da
Maynard Believer

Post by da »

This was my 6th tool show across Oz and the US and I have to say I left feeling pretty disappointed. I was on the floor just to the left of the sound desk and found the mix to be muddy with no real definition. Maynard had a bit of a shocker dropping lines in almost every song (although he perked up a bit after the intermission). I realise he is not a "perfect" performer in the sense that he never delivers the lines or lyrics exactly as on albums and this is not what I was expecting from him. But last night was by far the weakest I have seen him live. I couldn't give two shits if your voice has lost its clarity, but you have to sing mate! As a whole I thought the band seemed pretty bored and eventually it rubbed off on me. I never thought I would say this (especially after 5 cracking gigs in the past that I have witnessed from these guys), but I left feeling flat and as if the whole thing was a bit, well, ordinary.

Of course there were glimpses of tool brilliance. The clear highlights for me were HWAP and 46&2, and just about everything Danny did.

Apologies for the rant - I really don't want to detract at all from the positive experience most other posters here seem to have had. I guess the reality is that Tool choose not to rush things under the pretense that perfection takes time. The side effect of course is that as fans we expect perfection when they do eventually deliver (be it a live show or an album). For more prolific bands that tour and release albums more regularly I guess I expect less from each show or album, but because of the way they go about things tool create a much greater air of expectation. I went in with high expectations last night but ultimately for me this show was a major let down.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Anyone able to confirm that the Danny Synth Solo thing was anything like Merkaba as it reported on Setlist.fm?