Tool - 6th May 2013 - Entertainment Centre, Brisbane, QLD

JizzyMcJizz
Maynard Believer

Post by JizzyMcJizz »

hellboy1975 said
Anyone able to confirm that the Danny Synth Solo thing was anything like Merkaba as it reported on Setlist.fm?

Not in the slightest. He was soloing as you saw in the show/shows you went to. The synth he was doing was the same sounds as the intermission from Melbourne night 1 then he just started whaleing away to it. I was picking up bits and pieces of alot of songs. Towards the end as Adam and Justin rejoined him onstage I swear he went into the start beats of Ticks & Leeches and I pee'd in my pants a little thinking they were going to play it. It's the only song I havent seen them play off Lateralus.

trustinmeandfall
My pain is just an excuse

Post by trustinmeandfall »

da said
This was my 6th tool show across Oz and the US and I have to say I left feeling pretty disappointed. I was on the floor just to the left of the sound desk and found the mix to be muddy with no real definition. Maynard had a bit of a shocker dropping lines in almost every song (although he perked up a bit after the intermission). I realise he is not a "perfect" performer in the sense that he never delivers the lines or lyrics exactly as on albums and this is not what I was expecting from him. But last night was by far the weakest I have seen him live. I couldn't give two shits if your voice has lost its clarity, but you have to sing mate! As a whole I thought the band seemed pretty bored and eventually it rubbed off on me. I never thought I would say this (especially after 5 cracking gigs in the past that I have witnessed from these guys), but I left feeling flat and as if the whole thing was a bit, well, ordinary.

Of course there were glimpses of tool brilliance. The clear highlights for me were HWAP and 46&2, and just about everything Danny did.

Apologies for the rant - I really don't want to detract at all from the positive experience most other posters here seem to have had. I guess the reality is that Tool choose not to rush things under the pretense that perfection takes time. The side effect of course is that as fans we expect perfection when they do eventually deliver (be it a live show or an album). For more prolific bands that tour and release albums more regularly I guess I expect less from each show or album, but because of the way they go about things tool create a much greater air of expectation. I went in with high expectations last night but ultimately for me this show was a major let down.

Must disagree with this, thought Maynard sounded great and although I couldn't see much of Justin, Adam seemed into it and as engaged as he ever is

I found the crowd down close to the stage to be a little more aggressive than I'm used to though. A girl behind me was essentially dry humping me throughout the show no matter where I tried to move despite several sharp elbows to her rather large midsection, it was super creepy!
jujano
Maynard Believer

Post by jujano »

i have to disagree with da

this was my fourth show and easily the best, MJK was jovial and havin a great time i thought. Danny is a beast, definitely NOT merkaba but the drum solo was sweet as, a real treat. i got another signed poster so stoked with that. i also noticed the opiate reissue for $1000, how is this so ?? wasn't it sold out... ???  still waiting for mine, shipped April 25 so should be here soon... all up i'm giving the show a 9/10. cheers.
craigw
Maynard Believer

Post by craigw »

I didn't think Maynard was too bad. He seemed to be getting in to it. Even when I saw them back in 2006 (Hammersmith Apollo) he was missing bits and the set list was being dictated by him. So what we have seen this tour inst anything new, its been going on for years but becoming more and more obvious. I will admit Monday night wasn't close to when I saw them at Brixton Academy in 02. Still a good solid show though. 46&2 was nailed, so so good.

I'm surprised the gong in Lateralus hasn't been mentioned yet, someone fucked up when they mike’d that one up. Nearly shit myself; it drowned out everything haha. 

Will do a write up of the Q & A a bit later, apologies for being slack!  

Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Hey Jujano, haven't seen you around here in ages! Good to see a fellow Nth Qld resident around the place.

As to the show, I didn't find it flat or boring in the slightest. There was a couple of very minor fuck ups I noticed, but other than that was a cracking show. Was great to hear Opiate again as well.. And yeah whoever said Merkaba was played is dreaming..
Sprout
Bronco's Fan

Post by Sprout »

From 6:05, knew we were in for a good night, smashed it.

petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

yeah, scream was quite nice there
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
jujano
Maynard Believer

Post by jujano »

hey Busty, ive been lurking...

also had a few beers with Taz (Zilch) recently... on another note i really like the violet shift ep...

cheers man 
Busty McCracken

Haha, Man it's a bit of a spin out reading about Zilch & Violet Shift on here ai. Taz is a legend, Did you go to Zilchs ep launch coz we played there? 

And got my copy of Violet Shifts ep last week. Is a solid listen, Track 3 especially is a cracking tune.. Looks like we'll be playing there ep launch as well once they sort it all out. 
jujano
Maynard Believer

Post by jujano »

nah i didnt man but i'm hoping to get to the "jam in the jah" later in the year, cheers...
Busty McCracken

We'll be playing at The Jah  so pm us if ya end up goin, say g'day for a coldie. 
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

[spoiler]so them playing Merkaba was what? a joke? or did they really play it live??[/spoiler]
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Busty McCracken

Not sure if poster was telling porkies or was just flat out wrong but they definitely didn't play it.. 

rimb
My pain is just an excuse

Post by rimb »

Busty McCracken said
Not sure if poster was telling porkies or was just flat out wrong but they definitely didn't play it.. 

I guess some people assume that any drum solo thing is Merkaba.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

rimb said

Busty McCracken said

That's my guess.
jujano
Maynard Believer

Post by jujano »

will do Busty, for sure mate.

definitely was NOT merkaba, not even close... 
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy1975 said

rimb said

Busty McCracken said

That's my guess.

was on setlist.fm just curious is all. any video of the solo??

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
bonestorm
Maynard Believer

Post by bonestorm »

Well I saw them on Monday night here in Brisbane and they were great.  The setlist was far better this time around than the last tour.  It was a very Aenima-centric setlist:  Stinkfist, 46and2, Hooker, Push*t and Aenema were all there.  The only track from 10k Days was Jambi, which also happens to be the best track on that album.

Even Opiate was trotted out.  Don't think I've seen that live since '95.  Very much a crowd favourite too.

As for presentation, the production was pretty much the same as recent tours and Maynard is still hiding in the shadows.  That's gotten very old and tired in my opinion.  When I go to a show, I want to actually see people perform.  As a comparison, if Danny Carey was in the dark the whole night I'd be mighty pissed, so I don't see why other performers should be. 

It was an interesting change-up for maybe one tour, but this has now been going on for years.  The real shame of it is that Maynard is a great performer, and with Jones and Chancellor not offering a whole lot in terms of showmanship, he's needed up front.

But that's the only complaint.  Really, I loved the show, and have had my faith largely restored after an underwhelming performance here in 2011.