Poll: Is the Opiate 21st Anniversary Edition Priced Too High?

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

[sp_show_poll id=" 17"]

First, vote either YES or NO.

Second, If you choose, add a post to state your position/opinion on the topic, providing background on your poll response.

• Each FourthEye member is allowed ONE post on this thread and one only (additional posts will be moved or deleted, so don't bother).  Except for Tyson, who can eat a bag of dicks.  Kisses.

• Keep it simple, stick to the topic and avoid any personal attacks.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I voted Yes.  $150 is more than I'm willing to pay considering there is no new material being offered.  New art and autographs don't much interest me.  

I have no issue, necessarily, with Tool doing this, and I'm glad if others are stoked and willing to purchase (clearly, this is the case).  

Like many others, I found Adam's comment regarding this being "for the fans" off-putting and out of touch.  

Also, in general I am trying to avoid clutter in my life and resist the impulse to collect.  Just a personal choice, no judgements.
levba
My pain is just an excuse

Post by levba »

Yes

I bought one but it is over priced...especially since Adam said its a thank you to the fans.
insertcrypticnameher
Bronco's Fan

Post by insertcrypticnameher »

they sold out of TA in a couple of hours, so i'm guessing no. 
Outsider
My pain is just an excuse

Post by Outsider »

it would be nice to have one but, not at that price. i also personally think justin had no business signing it. although i would be strange w/ just 3 sigs. 
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

insertcrypticnameher said
they sold out of TA in a couple of hours, so i'm guessing no. 

Pretty specious reasoning there.

I like to poop naked.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

No comment.

Mayhaps after holding one in my hands, gazing upon it's fresh artwork, smelling the stench of fresh ink like an Atlanta poster hot off the presses, or holding the disc at a certain angle in the sunshine, perhaps after swats of boo in Billy Bong Thornton, to get that 'cool' looking thing goin on...

Until then...I cannot comment.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

I think it is overpriced, but I bought one anyway b/c I liked the artwork and the opportunity for a golden ticket.  I wish we could have bought all five for a complete set, but I could barely justify purchasing one at that price let alone all five.  Of course, I could just not pay the mortgage this month.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

No.

I didn't buy one or really want it but 5000 copies on a limited edition package with everyone's signature is more bang for your buck than a concert poster IMHO.  And if someone doesn't have a physical copy of Opiate or the bands sigs, along with Tool memorabilia collectors, it's a fair price.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Yes, though I brought one anyway.  I think $100 would have been more reasonable.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Krazy said
No.

I didn't buy one or really want it but 5000 copies on a limited edition package with everyone's signature is more bang for your buck than a concert poster IMHO.  And if someone doesn't have a physical copy of Opiate or the bands sigs, along with Tool memorabilia collectors, it's a fair price.

disagree on the bang theory... several of the posters are one-off per show/venue and much more limited and cheaper to frame as well.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Yes - but just because -I- think it's too expensive, obviously doesn't mean it IS too expensive.

If people are willing to buy it (which they clearly are), then they probably could've got away with $300.

Possibly even more. The more ridiculously expensive something becomes, all actual value goes out the window. It's the perceived value that's important, and TOOL fans are obviously all about that.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I think its too much.

But to be honest I wouldn't have bought it if it was $50. No previously unreleased stuff = no purchase from me.

I dont know if that makes my opinion less valid.
Hey! Denty!
Undertow00
Maynard Believer

Post by Undertow00 »

My theory is I've easily gotten 150$ worth of enjoyment out of opiate in 21 

Years! buying a copy of the reissue without bitching about the price is my way of saying thank you!   After all, bands do make a whole hell of a lot of money off music sales anymore! 
Intension
Fanboi

Post by Intension »

I voted No, although i consider it a yes and no. Im sure seeing it in person would make you appreciate it more, as im sure the quality is good. Seems like a decent amount of work went into it. Considering a signed poster is almost that much, i found it no surprise. However, it is above my budget at the moment. Especially the price if you wanted all five, thats just nuts. So basically whatever, who gives a shit. I could complain about the price of shit all day if i thought to, but whats the point.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

So, any change of heart with the USB drive reveal?  Definitely interested to see what's on that fucker...

As of right now, it's an overwhelming YES = Overpriced, with Nearly 80% - (but only 39 responses).

Does this news change your opinion?  

*You can forget the one post rule I imposed, as long as you are answering this question... I just don't want this to devolve like the Grudge/Bicker/etc threads...*
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Fuck No.  And you better check those IP addresses I bet some of these Toolios are voting twice.

If I wanted a USB Drive I would go buy one for 10 bucks.  Who in the Tool camp actually thought an Ultra Thin USB drive would be a value add?  Fuggin out of they minds.  Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

mogeffingmog said
Fuck No.  And you better check those IP addresses I bet some of these Toolios are voting twice.

If I wanted a USB Drive I would go buy one for 10 bucks.  Who in the Tool camp actually thought an Ultra Thin USB drive would be a value add?  Fuggin out of they minds.  Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation.

The "Yes it is too high" crowd is winning by a vast majority.

It's too late for a USB with potentially new/unreleased stuff added to it to change my mind.  Actually, it wouldn't have changed anything anyway.
Hey! Denty!
jabuddha
Bronco's Fan

Post by jabuddha »

levba said
Yes

I bought one but it is over priced...especially since Adam said its a thank you to the fans.

I voted no. I want to say yes, but the damn thing is selling...probably be sold out by tomorrow morning. 

The "thanks to the fans" was the wrong thing to say for something so expensive, for sure. Whatever. I bought one.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

mogeffingmog said 

That's a ridiculous statement.  You really think for a second that someone said "let's add a USB drive so we can justify charging $150"?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig said

mogeffingmog said

The "Yes it is too high" crowd is winning by a vast majority.

No way to check IPs on this poll.  The result doesn't surprise me at all.  The price being too high doesn't necessarily mean people won't buy though - I voted yes and still purchased one.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I'd also like to think that on top of the other obvious reasons, this is kind of testing the waters for a more NIN/Radiohead approach to releasing the next album. i.e. seeing how much people might pay for more advanced packaging.

I feel like their insistence on "no digital release" is going to have to break on the next album right? As much as I 100% agree with their stance and reasons, it just wouldn't make any sense to exclude it that way. Then again, none of the other albums are available that way so...

joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Also just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting the "here's a free download" method of releasing the album, more just having a download option, and then a tiered physical release with more advanced packaging than they would be able to pull off for a wide-scale physical release like 10K Days.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I think your points are worthy of their own thread, rather than being posted in here.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I get what Joey's saying.

Like NIN with Ghosts. I could see Tool doing that but after they're done with their contract.
Hey! Denty!