Poll: Is the Opiate 21st Anniversary Edition Priced Too High?

MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

joeypants said
Also just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting the "here's a free download" method of releasing the album, more just having a download option, and then a tiered physical release with more advanced packaging than they would be able to pull off for a wide-scale physical release like 10K Days.

^ I think that is a fantastic idea.  Release the album in digital format and then as you said set up a tier system for physical release.  I would buy the digital album the day of and then one of the advanced packaging options as a collector piece.  The only question I have with that would be how that would work with their label.  Aren't they technically still under contract for one last album?  Not sure if the label would go for that, even though it makes all kinds of sense.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

• Each FourthEye member is allowed ONE post on this thread and one only (additional posts will be moved or deleted, so don't bother).  

Great job
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Kittaan said

*You can forget the one post rule I imposed, as long as you are answering this question... I just don't want this to devolve like the Grudge/Bicker/etc threads...*

@ Tyson - Blow me.

And way to add something to the thread as usual.  But I still love you.  No, really.  From afar.  For now.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Ravenpig said

mogeffingmog said
Fuck No.  And you better check those IP addresses I bet some of these Toolios are voting twice.

If I wanted a USB Drive I would go buy one for 10 bucks.  Who in the Tool camp actually thought an Ultra Thin USB drive would be a value add?  Fuggin out of they minds.  Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation.

The "Yes it is too high" crowd is winning by a vast majority.

It's too late for a USB with potentially new/unreleased stuff added to it to change my mind.  Actually, it wouldn't have changed anything anyway.

Yeah I don't know about that one.. If Tool announced they were re-releasing what they did & it also included New/unreleased tunes & was limited to only 5000 copies, I'm fairly certain a lot of our ears would've perked up a bit more.. Maybe you wouldn't justify the price still & wait to download the sucker, but I call bullshit if you stand by it wouldn't have swayed your opinion at all.. 

No way in hell I'd pay $150 for what they've released but with new & unreleased songs, fairly certain I'd consider jumping on that bandwagon. After all Salival was $80 in Aus when it was released, at least at my local stores..

As to the vote, I vote yes & think it's a rip off, but I'm not a collector, nor do I care about sigs. Saying that, when you compare it to those framed pictures you see in shops going for say $100, with printed sigs & old artwork / photos, I guess I can see the value in it from a collectors perspective.. 

EDIT: I still think it's a joke that the band themselves are charging this amount & Adam is labelling it as a thank you to the fans, guess I'm more just trying to find a justification for those that happily pay that amount.. 
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Is there any tool we haven't heard by now?

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

ilikecheese said
Is there any tool we haven't heard by now?

One of my sources told me there definitely would be recordings we haven't heard yet.  I wouldn't hold my breath about seeing them on this rerelease.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Is there a way that that USB can be used to access a website to hear (not download or record) the new album/the new video a month or so before the release? I'm not too up on the technology these days, kiddies, but is it possible? And also having some safeguard to either stop the listeners from pirating it, or at least finding out who it was if they did?

That MIGHT be worth $150 for some. Still, not to me. An extra month or so of waiting for an album of no guarantees after all these years is nothing to me.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

If it sells out then its not overpriced.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

crow011 said 
Is there a way that that USB can be used to access a website to hear (not download or record) the new album/the new video a month or so before the release? I'm not too up on the technology these days, kiddies, but is it possible? And also having some safeguard to either stop the listeners from pirating it, or at least finding out who it was if they did?

In theory yes, sounds like more effort than I'd expect Tool would expend to do this though.

If it sells out then its not overpriced.

You're right - if this sells out then it's hard to argue that it's overpriced.  Value for money is possible the point we should be arguing.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_%28marketing%29

As I've argued earlier, they could've charged MORE than $150. It's the PERCEIVED value. If I convince you that this bottle of water is only worth $1, you wouldn't be interested. If I said it was $8, you'd say that I'm nuts - but your interest would be piqued. If I tried hard enough, I could probably convince you to buy it, and you probably would - because it's $8, right? It's got to be worth it.

TOOL have the winning combination of cult-status and many of their products are highly collectible. They could've charged $300. I would've. They would've sold more quickly, too.

As I've said - yes, I think it's too high for what you're getting. But to others, it's probably a steal.
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Do bears shit in the woods?

phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

crow011 said
TOOL have the winning combination of cult-status and many of their products are highly collectible. They could've charged $300. I would've. They would've sold more quickly, too.

As I've said - yes, I think it's too high for what you're getting. But to others, it's probably a steal.

I was talking to my roommate yesterday about this.  Yes they made money off of this, but they could've made way more.  The puzzling thing is why did they pick a price between something easily accessible for the fans and something that would make a ton of money?
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

phox_ said

crow011 said

I was talking to my roommate yesterday about this.  Yes they made money off of this, but they could've made way more.  The puzzling thing is why did they pick a price between something easily accessible for the fans and something that would make a ton of money?

Dude they made a shit load of money off 5000 copies with very little work involved.  They are easily going to walk away with close to 100k per member for essentially doing nothing.  They didn't charge $300 because they weren't sure they could get rid of 5000 copies for $300.  I would have to think even the most rabid of Tool fans would have balked at $300 for this shit re-release.
Chill316
Maynard Believer

Post by Chill316 »

Yes and "the rent is to damn high".

Honestly had a quick thought of buying one but it was about 30 seconds. I think it would be hilarious if the USB had the artwork on it so I don't have to pay $150 to enjoy it when I can find it on the World Wide Web and print it off my high resolution printer. 

phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

mogeffingmog said

phox_ said

crow011 said

Dude they made a shit load of money off 5000 copies with very little work involved.  They are easily going to walk away with close to 100k per member for essentially doing nothing.  They didn't charge $300 because they weren't sure they could get rid of 5000 copies for $300.  I would have to think even the most rabid of Tool fans would have balked at $300 for this shit re-release.

$100k is not a lot of money.  They sold over 3,000 in one day, and over a thousand in a few hours.  They could have sold it for more than $300.

MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

phox_ said

mogeffingmog said

phox_ said

crow011 said

$100k is not a lot of money.  They sold over 3,000 in one day, and over a thousand in a few hours.  They could have sold it for more than $300.

$100k for signing a cover is a nice chunk of change.  They wouldn't have sold them all at $300.  I have some faith left in the sanity of my fellow Tool fans, even if it is completely misguided.

insertcrypticnameher
Bronco's Fan

Post by insertcrypticnameher »

not a chance they could have sold 5000 copies for $300. You people realize they have actual managers right? They aren't just making these prices up. 
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

insertcrypticnameher said
not a chance they could have sold 5000 copies for $300. You people realize they have actual managers right? They aren't just making these prices up. 

Where do you think the managers get the prices?

insertcrypticnameher
Bronco's Fan

Post by insertcrypticnameher »

phox_ said

Well for one thing they know how saturated the market is with their signatures and they probably knew roughly how much of this product they wanted to put out so as to make it widely available and also drive down the after-market price of some of their other signed stuff. So with that in mind they probably looked at how past sales have gone and how comparable industry items are sold. I doubt they made an exact science out of it but to flippantly say that because they sold out in a day they could have sold out for double is incorrect imo. This price just happened to lead to them selling out in a comparable time frame to that of a routine concert for a popular band. Coincidence?
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

phox_ said

Well for one thing they know how saturated the market is with their signatures and they probably knew roughly how much of this product they wanted to put out so as to make it widely available and also drive down the after-market price of some of their other signed stuff. So with that in mind they probably looked at how past sales have gone and how comparable industry items are sold. I doubt they made an exact science out of it but to flippantly say that because they sold out in a day they could have sold out for double is incorrect imo. This price just happened to lead to them selling out in a comparable time frame to that of a routine concert for a popular band. Coincidence?

No, and it's not flippant.  It sold out quickly, so they could have raised the price.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

phox_ said

phox_ said

No, and it's not flippant.  It sold out quickly, so they could have raised the price.

Exactly; I'm not even sure why you guys are having this argument.