Genre / Labels - Discussion Thread....

Music in all its forms and styles
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Some thoughts as I read through the Donkey Punch The Night thread comments (and countless other similar threads...)

I honestly don't give a shit about labels applied to music.  I realize they exist because it's human nature to categorize things for a variety of reasons, and this can be helpful at times... but due to associations with these labels, it also leads to a lot of negative connotations for some, many times unwarranted.  For example: if an individual equates "Genre X" with a shit band, consequently another band (he's not familiar with) given the same label, will have an uphill battle.  Just think about how this has gone down for you in the past, I'm sure I'm not alone here....  

That being said, I gave DPTN a fair chance, ignoring labels and just seeing if the music moved me.  It doesn't.  No big deal, music appreciation is completely subjective and Maynard and Co. obviously dig what they're doing or they wouldn't release and tour on it. And if there wasn't an audience for it, it would just die.  That's the reality of the music "industry" for bad or good.  

This interests me enough to create a new thread... so I'll do that.  Add your $.02 if you'd like.

I am particularly interested to hear about experiences where you resisted listening to a certain band due to label / genre / reputation / association, only to find once you gave it a shot, you realized it was nothing like what you were expecting.
Ki77aan :twisted:
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Wait, so you're saying I shouldn't automatically assume that all Christian Rock is terrible simply because Creed sucks ass?
I like to poop naked.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

markuspoop said
Wait, so you're saying I shouldn't automatically assume that all Christian Rock is terrible simply because Creed sucks ass?

Exactly!

You should automatically assume that all Christian Rock is terrible simply because it IS!  You WILL need to listen to ALL of it though, just to be sure.  Get back to us...
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

I have an example, sort of.  I really dislike country music, but I do enjoy this.

gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

So is it wrong to say that I'm a prog fan?
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

I would never judge anything or anybody without having some knowledge on the subject.......*ahem*

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I thought about it long and hard (heh) but I don't think I've ever not listened to something because of what it's labeled.

Good music is good music.
Hey! Denty!
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Anything labelled jazz fusion is fucking terible, fact.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Tyson said
Anything labelled jazz fusion is fucking terible, fact.

Frankly, I'm disappointed.  You could have gone much harder.

Also: spell check.  Look into it.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Kittaan said  You could have gone much harder.

that's what she said

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Tyson said

Kittaan said  You could have gone much harder.

that's what she said

Oh Tyson, you're just terible!!

gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

Seriously though, I see this argument come up a lot. I don't see the problem with using genre's as a label, but I do think that it's silly to hate something just because of it's label. Suffice to say, there are a couple of genre's that I've gone through and didn't find anything of interest. Maybe there's something there for me, but I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't.

Also, I find using genre's just makes life easier. Without them I would have to say that my favorite kind of songs are ones that are generally lengthy, complex, don't follow usual song structures, utilize polyrhythms and odd time signatures, etc etc. Instead, I can just say "prog rock". No harm done right?
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Noted already, good music is good music, and while I try not to get too picky about genres, there are certainly those where I know there is little chance of me liking songs from it.

For discovering new bands though, I find genre tags quite helpful, as I'll listen to any band in certain genres at least once.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

On occasion, I'll tease the genre-I-should-listen-to, tell it little lies, whispering "Oh, sure baby...I'll listen to you tonight, don't worry."  

Then I tell her, Oh baby, I just gotta run out to 'get some cigarettes.'

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.