Nine Inch Nails

Music in all its forms and styles
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

InFlamesOfBirchmen said

Busty McCracken said
So I've somehow never managed to get into this band, despite not disliking anything I've ever heard.. All I can say off top of my head that I know from them are "Burn" & "Closer".. Little help in where to head for a starting point please?

I'd recommend either The Downward Spiral or The Fragile. They're easily Trent's two biggest masterpieces, and they're fairly accessible. I started off with the And all That Could've Been live album, so there's always that.

And Broken is the "heaviest" of all NIN material IMO.  Great EP- if you wanna technically call it an EP.

I highly recommend watching their live DVD's.  "And All That Could Have Been" from the 2000 Fragility tour, and "Beside You In Time" taken from the end of the 2005/2006 With_Teeth tour that includes bonus songs of the 2006 summer tour.  There's also "Closure" from the '94-'96 tours which is more like a documentary.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

"The Fragile" Is probably Trent's best effort by far. I know everything else is super awesome but that album (especially being double disc) is just epic. If you haven't listened to much NIN I'd say anywhere is a good place to start but if you start from the beginning and you make it to "The Fragile" you'll feel as if you're an accomplished listener because it all pays off by the time you reach "The Fragile".

I'm not the biggest HTDA fan but I bought tickets to their Monterey show and am pretty excited to see them. They haven't played live and I believe that will be their 3rd show ever. Wonder if they'll play any covers or maybe "Tape Worm" stuff??????

Anywho, off topic but did anyone see the post on toolband.com today? "Palms" set a release date. July 25, 2013! I feel like that all went so quick and am excited to hear it!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Busty McCracken said
So I've somehow never managed to get into this band, despite not disliking anything I've ever heard.. All I can say off top of my head that I know from them are "Burn" & "Closer".. Little help in where to head for a starting point please?

I'll try to break it down for you:

Pretty Hate Machine- sadness/heartbreak, some seriously sad stuff on here, the recent remaster is my favorite remaster ever

Broken- Anger/Hatred, heavy and mean EP think of it as NIN's "Opiate", just as good too

The Downward Spiral- all of the above plus large heaps of madness, very dark yet very accessible.  Weird.

The Fragile- the anger/hatred/insanity is turned down, though there is a good heap of sadness (named after his recently at the time deceased Grandmother who raised him).  This album is a beast, to this day I still occasionally catch a new sound every now and then.  TDS made him a mega star, The Fragile is where he earned respect.

With Teeth- feels more like a collection of singles.  Most people think it's his/their weakest album, but there is some good stuff on here, with the exception of the Hand that Feeds, the ONLY NIN song I really hate.  Also, Dave Grohl is the drummer on most songs here.

Year Zero- Concept album of a potential future ruined by G.W. Bush era politics.  I hated the idea before it came out but I love the album.  Josh Freese is the drummer on this.

Ghosts- 99% instrumental, something you listen to while doing another activity.  Good not great.

The Slip- Another more or less collection of singles feeling album though not as much as With Teeth.  Mixes both the politicalness of Year Zero and his more personal thoughts.  Josh Freese is also the drummer on this and it can be downloaded for free from the NIN website.

Man that felt good to put myself through a mini trip down memory lane.

Hey! Denty!
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Cheers for the feedback all.. Sounds like The Fragile is where it's at, but might takes Wolf's advice & start from the start. Went straight to Mezzanine when I finally got around to giving Massive Attack a go & found it hindered my enjoyment for the rest of their catalogue. Sounds like same thing will happen if I go straight for The ragile.

Cheers again 
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Definitely start with Pretty Hate Machine.    Head like a Hole is NIN'sSober.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Sin forever
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Busty McCracken said
Cheers for the feedback all.. Sounds like The Fragile is where it's at, but might takes Wolf's advice & start from the start. Went straight to Mezzanine when I finally got around to giving Massive Attack a go & found it hindered my enjoyment for the rest of their catalogue. Sounds like same thing will happen if I go straight for The ragile.

Cheers again 

Definitely start from PHM.

As for the bolded part, I'd say if you asked all NIN fans it'd end up being around 50/50 as to which is better, The Downward Spiral or The Fragile.  TDS makes way more "best of" lists and did outsell The Fragile something like 5 to 1.

Hey! Denty!
BellJH
Fanboi

Post by BellJH »

With Teeth is a fucking awesome awesome. Better than Downward Spiral and Fragile IMO
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Are you on dope??  That cd made a great beer coaster!
BellJH
Fanboi

Post by BellJH »

badkittygothgirl said
Are you on dope??  That cd made a great beer coaster!

Heheh don't get me wrong, I do love TDS and the Fragile. But I felt like someone needed to stick up for With Teeth... it gets a lot of shit, but I genuinely think it's an awesome album. I find it's a lot more 'listenable'.

I'd agree TDS and Fragile are more coherent/deep, but if I listen to too much of them I start getting depressed... 
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

With Teeth is a great album.  Definitely not better then the Downward Spiral, but not far off The Fragile for me.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

With the exception of The Hand that Feeds, I love With Teeth.  I hate it when fans shit on a band for doing the same old shit then shit on them for not doing the same old shit.

The difference between WT and his previous albums is that it sounds more like a collection of singles as opposed to all the songs being connected and flowing into each other.  And I think TDS is technically a concept album, right?

Shit, All the Love in the World and Grohl's drumming on their own are enough to make this a solid album.

I'm gonna go listen to this right now, it's been a while.
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Ravenpig said
With the exception of The Hand that Feeds, I love With Teeth.  I hate it when fans shit on a band for doing the same old shit then shit on them for not doing the same old shit.

The difference between WT and his previous albums is that it sounds more like a collection of singles as opposed to all the songs being connected and flowing into each other.  And I think TDS is technically a concept album, right?

Shit, All the Love in the World and Grohl's drumming on their own are enough to make this a solid album.

I'm gonna go listen to this right now, it's been a while.

1.) People do that for everything.  Try spending some time on a video game site, it's the worst.

2.) Both TDS and The Fragile are considered concept albums.
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

1.) Heh yea no thanks.  The worst, Jerry, the WORST.

2.)  Thought so.  And Year Zero, of course.
Hey! Denty!
Busty McCracken

Got around to d/loading some NIN. First track into Pretty hate machine. Be interesting to see just how many songs it turns out I doremember knowing, just like head like a hole as I progress through the discography..
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Quite a few I'd imagine. He/they has/have more "famous" songs than Tool so it is probable.
Hey! Denty!
Busty McCracken

Had me fucked for a while where I knew the piano line from 'Something I can never have' from.. Figured it out, one of my fav movies, Natural born killers... Hate machine down for first listen. Very much digged. Out of here for the night & then onto Broken tomorrow. 
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Ravenpig said
Pretty Hate Machine- sadness/heartbreak, some seriously sad stuff on here, the recent remaster is my favorite remaster ever

Lemme guess why:

Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I like that song in a "guilty pleasure" sort of way but no that's not it.

And yeah I know you are kidding.

If there was ever an album that badly needed a remaster Pretty Hate Machine was it.
Hey! Denty!
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Fucking NICE.  The Angels are WAY more interesting in a live setting.  If they come to my neck of the woods I'm seeing them.

On a side note, I'd give Mariqueen the best 2 seconds of my life.
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I would legit murder a person to see Nine Inch Nails perform in a small club setting.
Don't mow your lawn
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Good interview with Trent:

Generic triangle avatar lives on.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Thank you, that was a good interview.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

i use to love NIN back in 94. that was still the best tour they ever done imo. since 'with teeth' he just got cheesier and year zero has to be the shittiest album he has ever done. so many freaked out saying 2008 was the best live show etc etc. it wasnt that good. nin has just become way too generic for me i guess. its good teenager music. whiny b.s but i cant take terrible lie or all the others he plays over and over anymore. sorry.

ha