cesaro
Bronco's Fan

Post by cesaro »

nxrm said

cesaro said
I need to pick a show.

How to Destroy Angels  OR

If These Trees Could Talk

They are both on the same day. I am leaning towards Trent as I have never seen NIN before unfortunately. But I am equally interested in this instrumental band, If These Trees Could Talk. I have bought their album Red Forest and its great ! Saw Russian Circles earlier and they were fantastic live so wanna experience another band like them.

HTDA is definitely not NIN. I was at the HTDA Pomona show and had a great time, but NIN is an entirely different experience. If you enjoyed the HTDA EPs and "Welcome Oblivion" and want to see an elaborate light show, go to that one. You won't be disappointed.

Having never heard of If These Trees Could Talk before, and listening to Red Forest right now...I'm gonna say...go see them though. A mix between Explosions in the Sky and GodSpeed You! Black Emperor. Can't go wrong with that.

Thing is, HTDA are playing at a smaller venue too, though not quite as intimate as where ITTCT will play. I can literally stand 5 feet from Trent. I haven't listened to any HTDA stuff yet, just want to experience it live as my first intro to it.

On the other hand, I have listened to Red Forest and also bought ITTCT's  self titled EP. Wonderful stuff and I would love to see them live too ! 

Oh well, I'll just flip a coin

petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

ziggy23 said
nine inch nails with a vagina

understatement of the day... more like prepubescent, still a virgin and already neutered NIN

@cesaro: good call on the coin flip
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Let me just say that NIN means more to me than Tool.

HTDA sounds like Ghosts with vocals.
Hey! Denty!
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

NIN is one of my all-time faves as well, and ghosts is likely my second favorite release from them... if only I could make the same connection to HTDA that you just did, Mr. Pig, I could possibly appreciate it more... not to be
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

petemasterpete said
NIN is one of my all-time faves as well, and ghosts is likely my second favorite release from them... if only I could make the same connection to HTDA that you just did, Mr. Pig, I could possibly appreciate it more... not to be

NIN used to do it for me, but after "YEAR ZERO", I completely lost interest. Up until that point, Reznor had been unable to release anything bad in his entire career.

Really disappointing. Killed the whole thing for me.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Don't you think that's a bit harsh?

You didn't even give up on Tool over 10,000 Days.  Are you saying 10,000 Days is better than Year Zero?

HEY EVERYBODY CROW LOVES 10,000 DAYS!!!
Hey! Denty!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Ravenpig said

You didn't even give up on Tool over 10,000 Days.  Are you saying 10,000 Days is better than Year Zero?

LOL, good point. It's a tough call.

I honestly have listened to TOOL all up maybe thirty times since "10,000 DAYS" was released. So, you might have a point.

I'm happy to give "THE SLIP" another shot, if you think it's worth it. Other than that, when I feel in the need to get my NIN on (which is incredibly rare), I'll hit "AND ALL THAT COULD HAVE BEEN" or "THE FRAGILE", because I'm clearly an emo.

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Fuck that, those two are bad ass. The Fragile is up there with anything Tool has done In my book.

i like the Slip a lot other than tracks 6-9(heh).  Other than that it's pretty fun.

Hey! Denty!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Ravenpig said
Fuck that, those two are bad ass. The Fragile is up there with anything Tool has done In my book.

i like the Slip a lot other than tracks 6-9(heh).  Other than that it's pretty fun.

Eh, I know what you mean, to an extent. The "sound" of TOOL is pretty unique, and it ticks all the right boxes for me. But artistically, I'd say "THE FRAGILE" is better than most works of anything, ever.

Except for "LATERALUS". Nothing touches that shit.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

That's pretty much how I meant that.  I ain't good with words here and then.

I don't necessarily think that NIN is better than Tool (The Fragile being an exception other than Tool's big two), but NIN means more to me than Tool.
Hey! Denty!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Ravenpig said
That's pretty much how I meant that.  I ain't good with words here and then.

I don't necessarily think that NIN is better than Tool (The Fragile being an exception other than Tool's big two), but NIN means more to me than Tool.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Good tunes (objectively) from day dot; the Rez is fucking amazing to his fans; and the fans themselves (subjectively) tend to be pretty cool people.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Just as many tools at NIN concerts as there were tools at the Tool concerts I've been to.

Don't know how they are online, to be honest.
Hey! Denty!
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

The Boss said

Ravenpig said

I honestly have listened to TOOL all up maybe thirty times since "10,000 DAYS" was released. So, you might have a point.

I'm happy to give "THE SLIP" another shot, if you think it's worth it. Other than that, when I feel in the need to get my NIN on (which is incredibly rare), I'll hit "AND ALL THAT COULD HAVE BEEN" or "THE FRAGILE", because I'm clearly an emo.

don't bother... there's a reason Trent gave it away to the fans;c because it blows... the only full release from NIN I refuse to waste any time on... AATCHB is one of the single best live releases ever!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

petemasterpete said

The Boss said

Ravenpig said

don't bother... there's a reason Trent gave it away to the fans;c because it blows... the only full release from NIN I refuse to waste any time on... AATCHB is one of the single best live releases ever!

Bless you.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

The Boss said

Ravenpig said

Eh, I know what you mean, to an extent. The "sound" of TOOL is pretty unique, and it ticks all the right boxes for me. But artistically, I'd say "THE FRAGILE" is better than most works of anything, ever.

also, The Fragile would be much better served as a single disc... quite honestly would be his best wwork if he's cut it in half... a bit too self-indulgent for me in parts
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Nah, there were too many good songs.

He probably could've split into two separate albums.  He said after the release that that was the way he should've done it.
Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

petemasterpete said

The Boss said

Ravenpig said

also, The Fragile would be much better served as a single disc... quite honestly would be his best wwork if he's cut it in half... a bit too self-indulgent for me in parts

Oh, God no. I couldn't disagree more.

I think it's his best work BECAUSE it was so self-indulgent.

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

And it is probably his most "honest" work.

The Fragile is perfect as is.
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

The Boss said 

So just to derail this thread - why the big deal that Tool are taking so long with their album?  That's not necessarily direct at your Crow, more a general question since I expect many agree with your view regarding The Fragile (myself included).
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said

The Boss said 

So just to derail this thread - why the big deal that Tool are taking so long with their album?  That's not necessarily direct at your Crow, more a general question since I expect many agree with your view regarding The Fragile (myself included).

I don't really understand the question. Are you talking about the five then six year gap between albums? Pretty sure he did odds and ends during those breaks and kept fans in the loop.

Just like to point out, too, that while I think seven years is a ridiculously long time between albums with absolutely no new material, I've been more focused on the bullshit "updates" the band gives with regard to the writing and recording process.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss said 
I don't really understand the question. Are you talking about the five then six year gap between albums? Pretty sure he did odds and ends during those breaks and kept fans in the loop.

That's exactly what I mean.  Tool and their members have done plenty of odds and ends too: Vicarious video/DVD, numerous tours, Volto shows and recording (albeit unreleased), M.T.void, Puscifer, various wines, tour posters, reissues.  

Why is it ok for Trent Reznor to indulge an not Tool?

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Nothing you mentioned was new TOOL material.

I guess it is because Reznor is not an asshole, and keeps his fans up to date. He has always been loyal to his fans, so he gets a lot of respect.

I thought that was obvious, but I guess you are not a NIN fan.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss said
Nothing you mentioned was new TOOL material.

I guess it is because Reznor is not an asshole, and keeps his fans up to date. He has always been loyal to his fans, so he gets a lot of respect.

I thought that was obvious, but I guess you are not a NIN fan.

If you say so.  I guess this is another one of those arguments not worth pursuing. 

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Feel free to give your explanation...
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss said
Feel free to give your explanation...

I already have.  You've chosen not to understand, and I've chosen to not continue as I suspect it's more a matter of you being difficult rather than an actual misunderstanding.