Animals as Leaders

Music in all its forms and styles
M0G
Lungsmen

Re: Animals as Leaders

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote:You keep telling yourself that. Even Wikipedia refer to AAL as pioneering djent band. You shouldn't get so hung up on labels and such, and should just enjoy music for what it is - quality djent. You're starting to sound like the kind of raving idiot you vent against in the Grudge thread to be honest.
Furthermore, that is an oxymoron.

Bravo on avoiding the crux of the argument. I presented exactly why AAL is NOT Djent. You grabbed a wikipedia article and at no point actually broke the music down in such a way as to prove your point or further your position in any way, shape, or form.

Fucking thank god for Kittaan, Nate and Cal. Tool fans they might be but at least they understand music theory.
The most intelligent person on this forum
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

AAL are a djent band, because they sound like one. That's my argument. That the guys in the band are talented musicians has no bearing on whether they are djent or not. The fact you claim djent bands use just 4/4 time signatures is neither true nor relevant.

My real argument is that you're blinded by this djent tag. It's quite funny actually.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote:AAL are a djent band, because they sound like one. That's my argument. That the guys in the band are talented musicians has no bearing on whether they are djent or not. The fact you claim djent bands use just 4/4 time signatures is neither true nor relevant.

My real argument is that you're blinded by this djent tag. It's quite funny actually.
Bullshit every Djent band is playing fundamentally in 4. They are adding quarter notes (or sixteenth notes) but the underlying tempo stays in four. Meshuggah plays in four, per Meshuggah, in any conversation about their music they have ever had. All Djent bands are baby Meshuggah rip offs. What Meshuggah is doing is all about syncopation and polymeters. You need to understand the difference between polymeters and polyrhythms.

Animals as Leaders are all over the place. Polymeters, Polyrythms, Syncopation, Phrasing variance, etc etc etc
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

M0G wrote:Bullshit every Djent band is playing fundamentally in 4.
Sorry, that statement isn't true.
M0G wrote:They are adding quarter notes (or sixteenth notes) but the underlying tempo stays in four.
So do AAL, they also have some songs in 4/4 by your own definition.
M0G wrote:Fucking thank god for Kittaan, Nate and Cal. Tool fans they might be but at least they understand music theory.
I'd be quite interested to hear if they think AAL are djent as well.

AAL are a great band, lets not lose sight of that.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote:
M0G wrote:Bullshit every Djent band is playing fundamentally in 4.
Sorry, that statement isn't true.
M0G wrote:They are adding quarter notes (or sixteenth notes) but the underlying tempo stays in four.
So do AAL, they also have some songs in 4/4 by your own definition.
M0G wrote:Fucking thank god for Kittaan, Nate and Cal. Tool fans they might be but at least they understand music theory.
I'd be quite interested to hear if they think AAL are djent as well.
Of course AAL have some songs in four. So do Tool. But what AAL does is so far beyond the limits of the Djent genre that it is comical to even class them in with such shit bands. I am not wrong. I am spot on. You have no fucking concept of the difference between a polymeter and a polyrhythm and the concept of syncopation is flying way over your fucking head. Go fucking wiki that and come back with something relevant.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

You're correct, I have no idea what the difference between polymeter, polyrythm and syncopation are. None of those terms make any difference to my argument though.

If the intent of this argument was to establish how pretentious you are, then I'd say you succeeded. You are a Typical Tool Fan in every way...
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote:You're correct, I have no idea what the difference between polymeter, polyrythm and syncopation are. None of those terms make any difference to my argument though.

If the intent of this argument was to establish how pretentious you are, then I'd say you succeeded. You are a Typical Tool Fan in every way...
That is really all that matters.

Anyhoo, get ready for the good shit fellas. A band releasing a new album in a little over two years. A number of really good bands seem capable of this. Remarkable isn't it?

TheBirdman
Has been

Post by TheBirdman »

Back to Djent, it's not that bad it's just some bands use it to characterize their band when they are just a mediocre group that use 8 string guitars. I think the real good Djent is Meshuggah and I consider them Progressive Death Metal anyway.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Fighting over genre names is and has always been pretty pointless. The only reason they exist in the first place is people have an inherent need for a shorthand to describe something. While I get why labeling a band you like as "Djent" makes it feel like they're being called "less than" or "just a Meshuggah rip off," I honestly think overall it fits with AAL. I mean, if you HAVE to use a shorthand to describe them, you'd probably use that because solo-wanking aside, they pretty much sound like Meshuggah. Or at least, they sound like they're aiming for that kind of sound. It's just how it goes.

I think anyone with a brain/ears can listen to AAL and see immediately why they're special and not just another "Djent band." Even if they bore me to absolute, hysterical tears. Haha.
wisevitamin
Bronco's Fan

Post by wisevitamin »

M0G wrote:
hellboy wrote:
M0G wrote: ^ Yup. I hate agreeing with Number One over there but Djent can suck my balls. AAL is NOT Djent. Playing 8 strings does not automatically equate to Djent.
Nah, AAL are djent, there's no denying it. Sorry. Doesn't mean they're shit though.

Fuck the fucking fuck off.
I Fucking lol'd hahaaa.

As far as classifying AAL, I like to think of it as this. AAL is a band that is transcending the stereotype of DJENT that the internet has created over the past few years. Sure there is some meshuggah-influence in AAL's music, but they are totally creating a new genre in itself. Also Tosin has a much more dynamic and technical playing style. I would consider Javier the Djent-guitarist, and Tosin the lead guitarist of the group.

AAL have created a new genre imo: Progressive jazz-djent fusion.

Another great prog-djent band I can think of is Tesseract. Sure, most people on here probably dont fancy the new singers vocals, but if you give ONE or ALTERED STATE an instrumental listen, That SHIT FUKCIN DJONTZ BRO. lol, nah but that shit is good, check it out:

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

joeypants wrote:The only reason they exist in the first place is people have an inherent need for a shorthand to describe something.
I think it stemmed from marketing / merchandising primarily. But I agree that's a major factor too. We all do it.

I am not a fan of Djent for the most part, but totally agree with others who have the opinion that you need to take each band on it's own merit and fuck the labels. Many band straddle labels anyway.

I am not bored by AAL on recordings, but with your comments I am more curious than ever to see them live. If I dig a band's studio shit, I usually like them even more live, depending on how they deliver live of course. I do understand your point on sensory overload with the relentless "wheedling", but Tosin really is a wizard on the axe, and his writing is quite engaging to my ear. I will certainly report in after the gig.
Ki77aan :twisted:
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

The Dream Theater of Djent
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Not Tyson wrote:The Dream Theater of Djent
Do you really think so, or are you trolling (gasp!)? In what way(s)?

To me, DT are soulless wankers with horrendous vocals and equally awful writing. I don't get the parallels. And maybe you could be a bit more specific...?
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

See your description of DT sans the vocals.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Not Tyson wrote:See your description of DT sans the vocals.
Then we must ascree to disascree. That is not the case IMO.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

wisevitamin wrote:AAL have created a new genre imo: Progressive jazz-djent fusion.
great, another fucking useless genre I give zero fucks to know about ... well, at least I used to dig this band ... thanx for ruining that
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Kittaan wrote: I am not bored by AAL on recordings, but with your comments I am more curious than ever to see them live. If I dig a band's studio shit, I usually like them even more live, depending on how they deliver live of course. I do understand your point on sensory overload with the relentless "wheedling", but Tosin really is a wizard on the axe, and his writing is quite engaging to my ear. I will certainly report in after the gig.
If you dig the albums, your jaw will be on the floor live. Dude's fucking amazing without a doubt. Musically, it just leaves me empty. Doesn't feel like there's any "soul" there, for lack of a better term. To my ear, anyway. Every now and again they'll settle into a really nice groove/riff, but then here comes the noodling.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

New album The Joy of Motion available for Pre-order

A band worth supporting. Not to mention Tosin can play circles around Adam Lazy Bones Jones.

Tooth and Claw

Lippincott
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Official upload from Sumerian Records of the song Lippincott from AAL's upcoming new album The Joy of Motion.

Groovy vid. Enjoy.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

M0G wrote:New album The Joy of Motion available for Pre-order

A band worth supporting. Not to mention Tosin can play circles around Adam Lazy Bones Jones.
That cover looks like an anus.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

And this man has seen a lot of them.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

I've seen enough.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

You know there is a time when I have to man up when I say I treat you like anyone else here so . . .

I guess mirrors are in plentiful supply
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Lippincott is good. I for one am glad the production quality of this album is much higher than their first two.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

The greatest guitar player on the planet. Animals As Leaders new album out in a week. Tosin below jamming on a new guitar. Enjoy.