YOB thread . . .

Music in all its forms and styles
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Re: YOB thread . . .

Post by The Boss »

joeypants wrote:Fuuuuuuuuuuck why are you all tempting me?! Ordering my pre-order Friday and then I cannot be held responsible for what I do after that...
Hey man, you started this. ;)

It's going to take repeated listens. AOTY, for sure, though. It was always going to be for me anyway. :oops:
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

I like this record on first listen ... and second ... this is promising
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

The second track is the nastiest, grumpiest, meanest bitch of a song I've ever heard. And it's constantly on repeat. 8-) 8-) 8-)
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

^yeah man ... is good ... soooooooo 'just take my money'
► Show Spoiler
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

"Marrow" is probably YOB's prettiest song.

This album is officially compulsory listening for anyone wanting to come up with a "Top Albums Of The Year" list. You don't have to like it, but you'd be kidding yourself if you think you can get away with not listening to it twice whilst considering such a list.

I've always been awed by this band, but they've completely cemented themselves into my top ten of all time with this album. Fucking great.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

At some point this weekend, I'm going to blast this thing on the PA at our rehearsal space. We just got another new sub too. Edibles will likely be involved because why the fuck not. I think Mike Scheidt would want it that way.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

joeypants wrote:At some point this weekend, I'm going to blast this thing on the PA at our rehearsal space. We just got another new sub too. Edibles will likely be involved because why the fuck not. I think Mike Scheidt would want it that way.
From how the brother is on FB: Yes.

Probably the nicest guy in the business.
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

just pre ordered new album......

yes play yob as loud as you can
go taff!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Listening right now... Good fucking god...
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Haven't been able to stop blaring this at full volume. I did as I said and ate some strong brownies and just unleashed this thing on our PA late Saturday night. Wowzers. In Our Blood is fucking intense as can be, and more Alan Watts samples!!! But when that finally dies down and Nothing To Win bulldozes you... holy fuck. Holy FUCK! And then the back half just gets beautiful, and Yob really starts to stretch in new ways on the melodic front.

One of the most mind-blowing listening experiences I've had with a new album. Granted, I'm a full-on convert at this point, I could see it still being a tough listen for someone just coming to Yob, although this has to be their most accessible so far possibly.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Also, a headphone listen today confirms that thankfully I was not having audio-hallucinations, and there truly ARE that many dense details and intricacies hidden under the glacier-mountain of sludge that assaults you on this one.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

^yeah man ... nonstop rotation ... cannot get enough of this shit

My wife HATES me this morning ... working from home, kids just to bed and I'm blasting this record on repeat for 3 hours, sipping beers!

I'm an asshole!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Glad this album is getting the appreciation it deserves.

If you're new to YOB, I would suggest going back through their catalogue from the latest, one by one. I started with "THE GREAT CESSATION", and I am still unable to shake the sense that my balls have quadrupled in size each time I listen to it.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

this album is just INCREDIBLE!!!!! and insane... holy shit!!!
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I am digging Clearing The Path To Ascend much more than I thought I would. I am not a huge sludge fan, but there is a lot to love here, especially Nothing To Win. That intro is fucking sick. Had to go to headphones since my wife and kid can't take this shit... so much better with HP.

A few more listens and I'll be hooked.

Added bonus: The look on my cat's face when I cranked it on my speakers earlier.
Ki77aan :twisted:
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Kittaan wrote:I am digging Clearing The Path To Ascend much more than I thought I would. I am not a huge sludge fan, but there is a lot to love here, especially Nothing To Win. That intro is fucking sick. Had to go to headphones since my wife and kid can't take this shit... so much better with HP.

A few more listens and I'll be hooked.

Added bonus: The look on my cat's face when I cranked it on my speakers earlier.
I'm listening to the album right now (again). "Nothing To Win" gets me so fucking amped-up. I absolutely love that song.

"Marrow" is a great ride. I find myself enjoying it more and more each time I listen to it.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Yeah, this is some truly great music. I'm beyond impressed with it.
Alittlevil
Has been

Post by Alittlevil »

May have already been mentioned but YOB are at next years Maryland Death Fest.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

Kittaan wrote:my wife and kid can't take this shit
hmmm ... someone's doing it wrong?!
Kittaan wrote:A few more loose ends and I'll be hooker
you mean you're not getting paid for that?!?!
Kittaan wrote:The look on my cat's face when I cranked one out on my speakers

fuck, man ... leave your pussy out of this!!!!

and also everything The Boss and Mr. Pants just said
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

Noisey interview with Mike

and the Album Stream for all the haters and waiters

THOU SHALT LISTEN
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

So, here's my review. It's a great album, but has a few things that bother me and prevent this from becoming a 9 or 10 out of 10. These are mostly my own personal hangups rather than problems with the band/album as such.

Firstly, the songs feel overly long to my tastes. There are some stellar riffs on this album, and when the tracks finally get where they are going it's fantastic. But my main criticism is that all 4 of the tracks repeat the same old riff too many times before hitting that crescendo. Which leads into my second point - I think the band could do more to embellish the songs. While I appreciate that doom/sludge thrives somewhat on repetitiveness, I also see that the musicians in the band are of some considerable talent. An extra guitar solo or two here and there would make all the difference for me. I'm not talking some kind of Maiden style finger tapping shit. Some tasteful embellishment here and there.

Negativity aside, I strongly commend the vocals and songwriting on this album. The vocals alone for me raise this above the level of most doom/sludge albums out there. The tone of the singers "quiet" voice I expect rubs some up the wrong way, but personally I dug it on previous albums, and dig the continued use of it on this album. And we know he can fucking scream as well. These vocals are put to great use, especially on the final track where the band evoke a level of emotion not normally seen in this genre.

Overall, a great album, I'd rate it about an 8/10. It's not perfect, but I have no doubt it will be finding its way onto my top 10 list at the end of the year.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Don't mow your lawn
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy wrote:So, here's my review ...
I agree on some counts, but I unashamedly adore this record. I don't find the repetitiveness a bother, as I generally would, at all. I expect it, anticipate it and I soak it in until finally that one simple embellishment does eventually come to a head and wash over the rest. For once, the patience involved in rationalising the songs is entirely worth it for me. I can't argue that they could have done a bit more in some parts, but I don't long for it. The emotional value of the tunes more than makes up for what it may otherwise be lacking. Vocally, it's definitely progressed from past works and I'm quite impressed by the range. The clean vocal performance on Marrow is god-tier ... very few performances in recent memory have grabbed me the way this one has.

Overall, the record treats me as though I was just discovering Sabbath for the first time back in the day, with a deeper, more psychedelic treatment. And considering I like their older stuff, but am not in love with it entirely I'd give it a 9/10. It's a pretty easy scoring, especially if comparing it solely to the releases of this year.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

This just became the best thread in FE. I love how much appreciation this album is getting.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I'm not big into rating albums/art with any numerical/star, but I would almost definitely give this a 10/10 if I still was doing that. I also understand and in a way agree with what Hellboy said, I just dig repetition which given their interest in creating trance-like states and all that, goes hand in hand.

This album really feels like Yob really digging in and mastering everything they do so well. They mixed all the ingredients together in the perfect way, but you can also clearly see how there's still so much room for exploration and expansion in their sound (see: Nothing To Win, Marrow). I would write a long gushing review of this, but I really would like to see lyrics first and hold the vinyl in my hand.