Aloke Dutta Interview suggestions

Music in all its forms and styles
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

cesaro said
-  Danny Carey's drumming has a tribal texture to it. Did he actively study tabla under your guidance or was he more interested in learning some specific idiosyncrasies of the instrument and incorporate that into his technique/sounds ? Or both ?

Sorry, man - I don't know what you mean by "tribal". The term gets thrown around so much, it's lost all meaning.

And to be honest, when you really think about it, it's kind of racist and ethnocentric. "Oh, this guy plays drums the way I assume Africans do, hurr hurr, potato". Anything that has a deeply percussive feel to it, from a "white" perspective, is automatically branded "tribal". It's fucking weird.

There are "tribes" everywhere in the world. Korean tribal music sounds like fucking metal spoons bashing metal pots and pans, for example.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
cesaro
Bronco's Fan

Post by cesaro »

cesaro said
-  Danny Carey's drumming has a tribal texture to it. Did he actively study tabla under your guidance or was he more interested in learning some specific idiosyncrasies of the instrument and incorporate that into his technique/sounds ? Or both ?

Sorry, man - I don't know what you mean by "tribal". The term gets thrown around so much, it's lost all meaning.

And to be honest, when you really think about it, it's kind of racist and ethnocentric. "Oh, this guy plays drums the way I assume Africans do, hurr hurr, potato". Anything that has a deeply percussive feel to it, from a "white" perspective, is automatically branded "tribal". It's fucking weird.

There are "tribes" everywhere in the world. Korean tribal music sounds like fucking metal spoons bashing metal pots and pans, for example.

cesaro
Bronco's Fan

Post by cesaro »

By 'tribal', I mean Danny doesn't do the typical 'metal' drumming but rather focuses on creating relatively complex patterns and play them in a percussive style/technique that is reminiscent of some of the 'ethnic' percussion that I have been exposed to growing up as a brown guy. I find it interesting that Dutta was involved in shaping some of Danny's drumming ( during Enema/Lateralus era ) to a certain degree and I see that influence in Tool songs like H, Disposition,Reflection,Triad, Enema. So naturally, I am curious to know more about this collaboration that happened between Dutta and Carey. Hence my question above.

I find it amusing that you see branding the term 'tribal' as racist here. Not everyone is blessed with a 'white' perspective mate.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

cesaro said
By 'tribal', I mean Danny doesn't do the typical 'metal' drumming but rather focuses on creating relatively complex patterns and play them in a percussive style/technique that is reminiscent of some of the 'ethnic' percussion that I have been exposed to growing up as a brown guy. I find it interesting that Dutta was involved in shaping some of Danny's drumming ( during Enema/Lateralus era ) to a certain degree and I see that influence in Tool songs like H, Disposition,Reflection,Triad, Enema. So naturally, I am curious to know more about this collaboration that happened between Dutta and Carey. Hence my question above.

I find it amusing that you see branding the term 'tribal' as racist here. Not everyone is blessed with a 'white' perspective mate.

Fair enough, and very well said.

I may be white, but I've been blessed with the ability to see the world through different coloured eyes, so-to-speak, through my relationship and living experience.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Ok, about to send off the following questions - I hope Aloke has a sense of humour (I'm pretty sure he does)!

Is there any possibility of you playing with Tool again?  Have you been asked to contribute to their new album?
What was the catalyst in working with Tool on a recording ? Or rather what attracted you to Tool ? 
Since the tabla is more of a delicate acoustic instrument, was the overwhelming noise difficult to deal with playing onstage with Tool?
Danny Carey's drumming has a tribal texture to it. Did he actively study tabla under your guidance or was he more interested in learning some specific idiosyncrasies of the instrument and incorporate that into his technique/sounds ? Or both ?
In what ways does learning to play the tabla translate to ones overall drumming ability and technique?
Are your lessons suitable for musicians of of levels of expertise?
Are there any artists that you would like to collaborate with in the future?
What are your musical influences?
What are some of your favourite Eastern artists?
Who are your favourite drummers?
What music are you currently listening too?
What is your favourite film/video game soundtrack and why ?
What is your favourite Indian dish?  Do you enjoy cooking, and if so do you have any recipes to share?
What is your favourite Simpsons episode and who is your favorite character?
Boxers, briefs or commando?

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy1975 said
Ok, about to send off the following questions - I hope Aloke has a sense of humour (I'm pretty sure he does)!

I hope he answers this part!
Don't mow your lawn
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

hellboy1975 said

Is there any possibility of you playing with Tool again?  Have you been asked to contribute to their new album?
What was the catalyst in working with Tool on a recording ? Or rather what attracted you to Tool ? 
Since the tabla is more of a delicate acoustic instrument, was the overwhelming noise difficult to deal with playing onstage with Tool?
Danny Carey's drumming has a tribal texture to it. Did he actively study tabla under your guidance or was he more interested in learning some specific idiosyncrasies of the instrument and incorporate that into his technique/sounds ? Or both ?
In what ways does learning to play the tabla translate to ones overall drumming ability and technique?
Are your lessons suitable for musicians of of levels of expertise?
Are there any artists that you would like to collaborate with in the future?
What are your musical influences?
What are some of your favourite Eastern artists?
Who are your favourite drummers?
What music are you currently listening too?
What is your favourite Indian dish?  Do you enjoy cooking, and if so do you have any recipes to share?
What is your favourite Simpsons episode and who is your favorite character?
Boxers, briefs or commando?

Commando. Let the boys free.

SteveBobSteve
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Interview published!  Thread closing!