Palms

Music in all its forms and styles
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Also, I think the main similarity people are picking up on is probably Jeff's unmistakable bass tone. Which is beautiful, and I can't fault him for not changing it. There are other similarities to Isis's softer stuff, but the bass tone is the main thing that jumps out at me as connective tissue.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Hellboy could you please delete Mog's trolling in this thread?
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

joeypants said
You realize he's trolling you, right, Mog? Haha.

I love what I've heard from Palms so far (only two songs, holding out for the album) but I was kind of prepared for this sound. I still got Isis. And this is obviously no Isis.

I dug the second song they released WAY more than Tropics.

Of course dude I am having a little fun.  Obviously there are elements that sound a bit like Isis.  Aaron's drumming style for one thing.  Naturally that would translate over to any other project particularly when you have three ex band members working together.  I just don't like it at all.  I hate pop, and post-pop is even worse because it plays at being something it's not.  Pop is pop no matter what musicians are involved.  I think Palms could have been interesting, but I won't lose any sleep over it.

James
Fanboi

Post by James »

joeypants said

James said
I am very much enjoying it, but then, I don't listen to ISIS so maybe it's because I'm missing something. It has similar open, flowing riffs that I like about bands like Intronaut or Yob, but with less aggressive vocals, and I think that's the perfect combination.

You need to get on that Isis, son! Oceanic onwards is just heaven.

I will check them out! I've heard a lot about them--recently I found The Melvins' 'Stag' and I am teaching myself The Bit.

Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

Mog of the Architect said

joeypants said
You realize he's trolling you, right, Mog? Haha.

I love what I've heard from Palms so far (only two songs, holding out for the album) but I was kind of prepared for this sound. I still got Isis. And this is obviously no Isis.

I dug the second song they released WAY more than Tropics.

Of course dude I am having a little fun.  Obviously there are elements that sound a bit like Isis.  Aaron's drumming style for one thing.  Naturally that would translate over to any other project particularly when you have three ex band members working together.  I just don't like it at all.  I hate pop, and post-pop is even worse because it plays at being something it's not.  Pop is pop no matter what musicians are involved.  I think Palms could have been interesting, but I won't lose any sleep over it.

It is still interesting to many others. What you keep referring to as pop/post pop kind of baffles me... I haven't heard any catchy hooks or cookie cutter electronica on the album so far... So they did a little footwork and did some good marketing which got them noticed by SPIN who decided to stream the album prior to release...

It's still a stretch to say it's pop considering the length of each song blows any "pop" song out of the water by about 5 minutes. The complexity of each song alone is also noteworthy.

You're so busy with your delusions as to what genre they are in due to publicity and you're failing to see that it's worth a few listens and is actually quite enjoyable.

Don't settle on it if you don't like it but you're missing out. It's legitimately a good album. I don't give a fuck what publicity they got or what deals they accepted this is not pop.

Breathe...
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Which one sounds more like Palms:

or

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Okay back on topic.  Do you guys really like this shit?  I mean forget about Pete, Chino could shit on his face and he would lap it up, but the rest of you, particular those of you that call yourselves Isis fans?

It's not particularly exciting.  I think even Pete would agree with that.  I'd rather listen to Isis or Deftones any day of the week.

I wouldn't say I'm disappointed.  You guys know me well enough to know that I'm not a massive Isis or Deftones fan, though they both have their moments.  This album on the other hand I'd struggle to give it more than a 6/10.
Davvda
My pain is just an excuse

Post by Davvda »

Sadly I agree with you on this one, Hellboy. One of my favorite vocalists along with one of my favorite bands sounded so promising on paper but I'm not at all impressed.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

The Boss said

NYHCster said
well this is the music they wanted to make, that's why ISIS split up. I can't hate on it when I'm looking at it as a completely different entity. as for YOB? I saw them open for Tool in Jersey and they sucked big donkey balls.

You have just awful taste in music.

Just awful.

I think YOB has an awful taste in music.

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy1975 said

Okay back on topic.  Do you guys really like this shit?  I mean forget about Pete, Chino could shit on his face and he would lap it up, but the rest of you, particular those of you that call yourselves Isis fans?

It's not particularly exciting.  I think even Pete would agree with that.  I'd rather listen to Isis or Deftones any day of the week.

I wouldn't say I'm disappointed.  You guys know me well enough to know that I'm not a massive Isis or Deftones fan, though they both have their moments.  This album on the other hand I'd struggle to give it more than a 6/10.

6 of 10?!! you're a smooth criminal.

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

hellboy1975 said

A few months back when TOOL were down under I read that you and alot of other people in the forum were supporting Jakob. You all supported them so much that I actually bought their first album off of Amazon after listening to it on youtube. I don't buy albums unless they are good.

How would you say that this sound differs from Jakob aside from the no vocalist thing? You say it's not exciting yet it's just as chill and just as much a good vibe as the beautiful music that Jakob serves up. I feel that there's some sort of mental block in some of you with regard to Palms. 

Let's see... members of Isis sets you up to believe the sound will be Isis, Chino gives it that more.... dare I say "commercial" feel, SPIN streams the album before release... Definitely not punk enough for any of you. What else? Not progressive enough? Not dark enough? Appeals to too many people? You guys buy the t-shirts at the concerts don't you? You guys are the ones that have to prove that you heard them first right? You've all been listening to them the longest right? They aren't true to their roots anymore and all that jazz? 

Yeah... it's not Isis.... it's not the Deftones... It's a different approach from some people that are far more talented than any of us. I do believe the Jakob comparison is hitting the nail on the head. Fess up.... it's similar in nature... yet you'd all support Jakob in a heartbeat because they aren't as commercial as something like this. Get over it.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

I adore Jakob, as far as post-rock-ish goes... Solace is absolute class as far as recorded music goes.

I'm also a well known deftones die-hard (not sit on my face as mog suggests, but spit on my face at the gig is fine)

I don't really care for Isis, cause I generally loathe the vocals for the most part, although I did spend quite some time with both Oceanic and Panapticon before I grew weary of them.  Musically, they own.

Palms: I've only heard two tracks as I'm waiting for the record to reach me (yes, I bought this one).  From what I've heard, it's not unlike any of them in several facets but it also is not as good as any of them individually either.  

I can say, from the limited listening I have undertaken thus far, I'm thankful the vocalist didn't go and completely destroy otherwise good post-rock-ish music (with mediocre clean over average at best cookie monster vox, ahem, Isis).  There is a reason several bands with similar output don't have vocalists... in this case, it's actually worked out thus far.

also, FWIW, moggers, the more and more same-y sounding prog that gets released and pushed by you and your lot, the closer it also becomes to pop music... must bother you that intronaut is getting so much coverage in shitty mags and crappy websites of late, too!  Before you know it, they'll be opening for Bieber.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

To be fair I'm as likely to buy a Palms album as I am a Jakob one.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy1975 said

you make it sound as if you'd purchase any records at all?!
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

^ He bought a 21 year old CD for over $150 bucks!
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Kittaan said
^ He bought a 21 year old CD for over $150 bucks!

That's right - no one should accuse me of not supporting the industry!
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

petemasterpete said
I adore Jakob, as far as post-rock-ish goes... Solace is absolute class as far as recorded music goes.

I'm also a well known deftones die-hard (not sit on my face as mog suggests, but spit on my face at the gig is fine)

I don't really care for Isis, cause I generally loathe the vocals for the most part, although I did spend quite some time with both Oceanic and Panapticon before I grew weary of them.  Musically, they own.

Palms: I've only heard two tracks as I'm waiting for the record to reach me (yes, I bought this one).  From what I've heard, it's not unlike any of them in several facets but it also is not as good as any of them individually either.  

I can say, from the limited listening I have undertaken thus far, I'm thankful the vocalist didn't go and completely destroy otherwise good post-rock-ish music (with mediocre clean over average at best cookie monster vox, ahem, Isis).  There is a reason several bands with similar output don't have vocalists... in this case, it's actually worked out thus far.

also, FWIW, moggers, the more and more same-y sounding prog that gets released and pushed by you and your lot, the closer it also becomes to pop music... must bother you that intronaut is getting so much coverage in shitty mags and crappy websites of late, too!  Before you know it, they'll be opening for Bieber.

I'll have to agree with you that the vocals in ISIS kind of ruined it for me as well... Thanks for the educated response. Takes nothing short of intelligence and courage to not respond with "Eat a Dick" or something of that nature. Thanks. 

I do like this Palms album more and more now that I've finally streamed it. I'll buy it for sure...

Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

hellboy1975 said

I believe it. That wasn't an attack on you just so you know. I legitimately asked questions. You're always good at coming back with non combative responses. Would you not buy either album or have you already?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Zwerewolf said

hellboy1975 said

I believe it. That wasn't an attack on you just so you know. I legitimately asked questions. You're always good at coming back with non combative responses. Would you not buy either album or have you already?

Haven't purchsed either.  I don't mind Jakob, they were great when they supported Tool, but it's reasonably well documented that I'm not a huge post-rock/metal fan, so I can't say they really excite me.  I'd go see them live again, but I rarely, if ever listen to them. In fact I don't think I even have any Jakob in my collection.

MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

petemasterpete said

^ If I didn't love you I wouldn't have read down far enough to get to the end.  I am sorry for shitting in the corner of your Palms party Petey but I couldn't help myself.  I will say the production is excellent.

As for your statement about the type of music I recommend becoming commercially accessible I highly doubt that will ever happen.  Christ I would wager at least 70% percent of your average Tool fans out there think Tool is heavy metal and is the heaviest and/or the most progressive music they listen to.  I really don't think millions of people are going to be waiting in anticipation for the next Bossk album any time soon.  Although they should, as Bossk is one of the best fucking bands on the planet.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

petemasterpete said

^ If I didn't love you I wouldn't have read down far enough to get to the end.  I am sorry for shitting in the corner of your Palms party Petey but I couldn't help myself.  I will say the production is excellent.

As for your statement about the type of music I recommend becoming commercially accessible I highly doubt that will ever happen.  Christ I would wager at least 70% percent of your average Tool fans out there think Tool is heavy metal and is the heaviest and/or the most progressive music they listen to.  I really don't think millions of people are going to be waiting in anticipation for the next Bossk album any time soon.  Although they should, as Bossk is one of the best fucking bands on the planet.

I think BJORK is heavy.

Just saying that "heavy" can mean a bunch of things.

But for the most part, I agree with you.

inb4 TODAY IS THE DAY isn't progressive.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Good call on Bjork being "heavy." "Heavy" to me means so much more than just "loud fucking guitars and palm muting."

Hellboy, have you listed to either of these Jakob tracks? Pneumonic and Oran Mor? Just curious. I'm sure they won't blow your skirt up, but those were my entry points and were a bit heavier/more catching to me.

Back to Palms, I like what I've heard and can't wait to pick up the album. But I will admit it doesn't sound like what I had cooked up in my mind when I thought "Isis + Deftones vocals!!!!" I'm almost as interested to hear Aaron Harris' production as I am the band itself. The Sleep Lady album he did was the balls, and, well, I have a big interest in production. His specifically.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

"Sullen Girl" by Fiona Apple might be the "heaviest" song I've ever heard.  Reaches a level even Undertow-era May Jay couldn't touch.
Hey! Denty!
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Ravenpig said
"Sullen Girl" by Fiona Apple might be the "heaviest" song I've ever heard.  Reaches a level even Undertow-era May Jay couldn't touch.

I would have assumed all of you are bright enough to have realized that when I was speaking of "heavy" I was not talking about thematic content.  I was speaking to genre/style of music.

And dude where did this obsession with Fiona Apple come from?  Please don't tell me you are jerkin it to her album covers.  I blast on Nardo like he owes me money around here but comparing Fiona freakin Apple to Undertow-era Maynard is crazy.  Sullen Girl is "heavier" than Prison Sex?  No fucking way dude.

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Ravenpig said

And dude where did this obsession with Fiona Apple come from?  Please don't tell me you are jerkin it to her album covers.  I blast on Nardo like he owes me money around here but comparing Fiona freakin Apple to Undertow-era Maynard is crazy.  Sullen Girl is "heavier" than Prison Sex?  No fucking way dude.

Sullen Girl and Prison Sex are about the same subject, you know that, right? 

Fiona Apple is my favorite artist.  I've said that numerous times around here.  You don't like it, fine, I don't care.  I don't give you shit for all the music you rave about that I don't like. 

What's your problem lately?  Maybe you need to go take a good shit or something. 

Hey! Denty!