Palms

Music in all its forms and styles
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Ravenpig said

Mog of the Architect said

Ravenpig said
"Sullen Girl" by Fiona Apple might be the "heaviest" song I've ever heard.  Reaches a level even Undertow-era May Jay couldn't touch.

And dude where did this obsession with Fiona Apple come from?  Please don't tell me you are jerkin it to her album covers.  I blast on Nardo like he owes me money around here but comparing Fiona freakin Apple to Undertow-era Maynard is crazy.  Sullen Girl is "heavier" than Prison Sex?  No fucking way dude.

Sullen Girl and Prison Sex are about the same subject, you know that, right? 

Fiona Apple is my favorite artist.  I've said that numerous times around here.  You don't like it, fine, I don't care.  I don't give you shit for all the music you rave about that I don't like. 

What's your problem lately?  Maybe you need to go take a good shit or something. 

Stop being a bitch you are usually good about joking around.  Christ something about Palms seems to have turned a few of you into complete pussies.  All sensitive and shit.

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Ravenpig said

Ravenpig said
"Sullen Girl" by Fiona Apple might be the "heaviest" song I've ever heard.  Reaches a level even Undertow-era May Jay couldn't touch.

And dude where did this obsession with Fiona Apple come from?  Please don't tell me you are jerkin it to her album covers.  I blast on Nardo like he owes me money around here but comparing Fiona freakin Apple to Undertow-era Maynard is crazy.  Sullen Girl is "heavier" than Prison Sex?  No fucking way dude.

Sullen Girl and Prison Sex are about the same subject, you know that, right? 

Fiona Apple is my favorite artist.  I've said that numerous times around here.  You don't like it, fine, I don't care.  I don't give you shit for all the music you rave about that I don't like. 

What's your problem lately?  Maybe you need to go take a good shit or something. 

Stop being a bitch you are usually good about joking around.  Christ something about Palms seems to have turned a few of you into complete pussies.  All sensitive and shit.

Seems like maybe you should take some of your own advice here, buddy. 

And I heard like one Palms song, I was totally fucking with you.  I didn't think much of it but then again I never thought much of Isis either.  Not my thing.

So yea, maybe you should buy some prune juice or something, ya know?

Hey! Denty!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Or maybe it's time for the dreaded apparatus!

Hey! Denty!
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Ravenpig said
Or maybe it's time for the dreaded apparatus!

I appreciate your concern for my bowel movements.  Good looking out.  I dropped a quality duece earlier.  It came out looking like this...

Not sure if I should call the doc?
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I see that pic and I hear Chino singing over Isis-like music.
Hey! Denty!
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

I don't care what any of you say, I'm loving this album! Chino fits in perfectly.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

fortysixand2 said
I don't care what any of you say, I'm loving this album! Chino fits in perfectly.

yeah this shit rocks. straight beach music, it's summertime you fuckheads. no need to listen to 18 minute sludgearama tracks in June. you're going to scare all the trim away

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Chino Moreno talks Palms and Eros

While we’re on the subject of Deftones, your bassist Chi Cheng passed away in April after spending about five years in a coma. Do you have plans to release Eros, the final album he recorded with you but shelved in 2008?

I get asked about that record a lot. For a while, I was giving the same answer, “No, no, no, no, no, no, no.” After Chi’s passing, I went back and listened to some of the record and it was a pretty intense experience to say the least. I think it should be released, but we don’t have any definite plans. There’s some work to do on it. Deftones have been moving forward in a strong, positive motion, so for us to stop and reflect on something five years ago, I don’t know if we’re ready for that. I’m not sure that’s where we want to put our energy. It is a special thing for us: it’s the last thing Chi played on. It will see the light of day. I just don’t know when.

http://www.mtvhive.com/2013/06/24/chino ... -deftones/

Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

This video should really be called Chino Moreno talks Future Warrior.

Don't mow your lawn
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

without further ado, my review:

Let's not be fooled; there is nothing exceptionally groundbreaking going on here.  That said, having been anticipating hearing this more out of curiosity than with some massive expectations of what it would be, I've nothing negative to report.  As the name Palms suggests, the songs are all quite 'pretty' and create an appealing and relaxing atmosphere. For the most part, considering the sum of it's parts, it's much better than most so-called 'supergroup' releases, which tend to be mostly underwhelming.  It is exactly what it is; a few solid musicians getting together and jamming on some tunes.

For me, Mission Sunset and Shortwave Radio are the best tracks, with the latter being the immediate standout on the record.  I will certainly be spinning this a bit in the near future.  Although I'd likely prefer it be on a beach, staring into the ocean from under a palm tree, it's winter here so realistically, maybe kicking back alongside the mrs. with a nice bottle of wine, some warm candles glowing will make for a n enjoyable, quiet evening.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Don't mow your lawn
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Chino talks Palms/Pelican (snippet from revolver):

“I really didn’t. I mean, I hear the music and I just start kinda singing along to it. Usually the first time I hear something, I’ll get ideas. I would listen to Pelican records back in the day and write my own lyrics to them. I remember telling Larry [of Pelican] “Dude, I wrote a whole set of lyrics for your song!” And he was like, “Track it!” I never did, but that’s just natural thing when I hear music, especially if it’s instrumental music.”
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

This album is fucking great! 
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

The PV Q&A: Chino Moreno and Aaron Harris

Q Are you going to have visuals to accompany the live show?

Chino Moreno: I'm not really sure if we'll have the resources to pull that together. We do have a show at the Hollywood Bowl which I'm really excited about. That might be the chance. I don't know if we're playing in the dark. We may not have enough time to do it, but with this music it would work so perfectly. I love doing that. To me, putting visuals to music is one of the most fun things ever. Marrying those two things is so cool.

http://www.purevolume.com/news/chino-mo ... -interview
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Don't mow your lawn
wisevitamin
Bronco's Fan

Post by wisevitamin »

I freaking love this album. It didn't hit me as a great album on first listen, but it has grown on me, and I like every song on this album now.

If you are looking for a doom/sludge metal album, you wont find it here.

It's almost like trance metal, as if that was a genre.

And Chino's vocals are a great fit with this style of metal.
bonebroke
Geacon

Post by bonebroke »

http://www.ipecac.com/news

"....the guys have decided to do a handful of west coast US dates but hope to travel elsewhere in the future. Limited number of tickets are available for 3 of the shows. Grab them now!

July 10 - San Diego, CA - Belly Up Tavern
July 11 - Santa Ana CA - The Observatory
July 12 - Los Angeles, CA - The Troubadour (SOLD OUT)
July 13 - San Francisco, CA - Slim’s
July 29 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Bowl (SOLD OUT)"
MAGNUS
My pain is just an excuse

Post by MAGNUS »

Anyone going to any of these shows?
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

Review of first show in San Diego: http://www.spin.com/gallery/palms-san-d ... reno-isis/
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

MAGNUS said

I thought about both the Santa Ana and/or Hollywood ones but the stars didn't align in terms of scheduling for the gf.  Kinda a bummer.

I like to poop naked.
aphex0
Bronco's Fan

Post by aphex0 »

markuspoop said

MAGNUS said

I thought about both the Santa Ana and/or Hollywood ones but the stars didn't align in terms of scheduling for the gf.  Kinda a bummer.

I am about to drive about 2 hours for the show tonight.  Huge Isis fan.  Hopefully I can get a cassette.  Fucking Hollywood show sold out fast but I don't mind I love Santa Ana.  Beach music is right!    (Also going to Volto! album release jam...)
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Chino talks vidya games and Palms.
Don't mow your lawn
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

aphex0 said

markuspoop said

MAGNUS said

I am about to drive about 2 hours for the show tonight.  Huge Isis fan.  Hopefully I can get a cassette.  Fucking Hollywood show sold out fast but I don't mind I love Santa Ana.  Beach music is right!    (Also going to Volto! album release jam...)

So, how was it?!?!

Side not, also thinking about heading out to the Volto release too.  Could be some good stuff.

I like to poop naked.
aphex0
Bronco's Fan

Post by aphex0 »

markuspoop said

aphex0 said

markuspoop said

MAGNUS said

So, how was it?!?!

Side not, also thinking about heading out to the Volto release too.  Could be some good stuff.

This was a great show.  Great vibes.  Chino took a selfie with some folks during one of the last songs, but the band was really on.  It really sounded AMAZING.  
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

I'm so jealous! I hope they make their way East soon. Elevator music, Mog? Please.