Karnivool

Music in all its forms and styles
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

ASYMMETRY IS HERE!

After 4 years, it’s finally here!

We've been making a fair old racket in the last few weeks in the lead up to our third album being released worldwide. It’s been hard not to be a bit excited, with the time it’s taken between albums and the effort and patience put in by all involved (including you!)

So this is it. It's after midnight (on the east coast of Australia, that is) and it's officially the release day for our third album "Asymmetry". We hope you enjoy it! As a special treat for you, our friends, we are delivering a stream of the album to your inbox, which you can enjoy for the next 4 days either track-by-track, or as a full album stream (as it was meant to be heard). We thought we should level the playing field for those that have ordered the online and physical versions and not keep you waiting any longer! US friends - "Asymmetry" will be available digitally from 23 July & we hope you enjoy the stream in the mean time.

To listen, click here!

[FYI - previewing the album will only work on a desktop computer web browser]

Ki77aan :twisted:
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Listening to this now.

I thought the second half was stronger than the first, unlike Hellboy, but it seems Ian isn't into it like Sound Awake. I'm not a fan of giving first impression reviews but this is rather weak, but usually if I find that I end up growing to love it, time will tell.

Also Sky Machine isn't aimless, ffs, pretty cool track.

doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

'Sky Machine' is average. Subtle, non-dynamic, boring are words that spring to mind.

I'm not a huge fan of this band but 'Sound Awake' was the better album.

They have like 5-6 segues on this album. Where have I heard that before?
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I was going to mention the pointless segues, wtf.

Just another band that ran out of ideas, my opinion may change but on the segues, nah.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

There's 14 tracks on the album, 4 segues and 10 full tracks.    Effectively one is and intro, and the other an outro.  Really, I don't think that's worth complaining about.

The segues are all boring as fuck though, I'll grant you that.

I'm beginning to think it's better than Sound Awake for my liking.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

hellboy1975 said

Damn I was giving it some breathing space but if that's your opinion I might turn off Tesseract and give it another listen

doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Tyson said
I was going to mention the pointless segues, wtf.

Just another band that ran out of ideas, my opinion may change but on the segues, nah.

Yeah WTF was that about?!? At least Aenima's segues were interesting...

\It was pointless on this album.

doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

hellboy1975 said
There's 14 tracks on the album, 4 segues and 10 full tracks.    Effectively one is and intro, and the other an outro.  Really, I don't think that's worth complaining about.

The segues are all boring as fuck though, I'll grant you that.

Hellboy, what are your stand out tracks?

doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Kittaan said

ASYMMETRY IS HERE!

After 4 years, it’s finally here!
We've been making a fair old racket in the last few weeks in the lead up to our third album being released worldwide. It’s been hard not to be a bit excited, with the time it’s taken between albums and the effort and patience put in by all involved (including you!)
So this is it. It's after midnight (on the east coast of Australia, that is) and it's officially the release day for our third album "Asymmetry". We hope you enjoy it! As a special treat for you, our friends, we are delivering a stream of the album to your inbox, which you can enjoy for the next 4 days either track-by-track, or as a full album stream (as it was meant to be heard). We thought we should level the playing field for those that have ordered the online and physical versions and not keep you waiting any longer! US friends - "Asymmetry" will be available digitally from 23 July & we hope you enjoy the stream in the mean time.

To listen, click here!

[FYI - previewing the album will only work on a desktop computer web browser]

Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Yeah first listen was fairly uninspiring but agree with Tyson that 2nd half definitely appealed more than the 1st. Hopefully she grows with repeated listens. If it doesn't , at least the live DVD is Orse..

And yeah the segues seemed fairly irrelevant to me too & in the spirit of Tool comparisons, did anyone else pick up on lateralus package similarities?
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Well, you know I have my head deep up the arse of the 'Vool, and even I am underwhelmed SO FAR.  I've been through a couple of times so far, and that could easily change over time (as it has so often in the past with other shite).  

@ Hellboy - Interesting to hear you may think this is better than SoundAwake which I think has a bunch of really strong songs on it.

@ Doors - I think you're being way too harsh.  Were you into Themata and SA?

Re: Segues - I've never been a huge fan.  They are cool once in a while, but even with Tool, I'm grateful for iTunes' ability to yoink them for most listens through an album.  Saves me from the FF thing.

@ Busty - I need to get that DVD.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Keep listening.

trust me...
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Subtleties my friends. It is all about the subtleties...
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

...and Asymmetry is better than Sound Awake; there is no question about it...
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

^

Okay on repeated listens, this album is growing on me.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I got better things to listen to, meh
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Tyson said
I got better things to listen to, meh

It's a good album. The last few songs are lullabies though.

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I lied, I'm back at it and I still hold that the second half > first, sky machine is probs my fav track atm

I can't be arsed to read the lyrics but it seems very concept albumny

Damn it I go listen to other stuff then I open my music folder and end up playing this
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

It seems that most people either prefer the first half or the last half of the album.

On my initial listen the last half seemed much more interesting. Especially the song Sky Machine; that one really caught my attention. But, for some reason i keep reading that people think the last half is the least interesting and that Sky Machine is the worst song on the album.

I don't understand this...
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Casey Tatum said
It seems that most people either prefer the first half or the last half of the album.

On my initial listen the last half seemed much more interesting. Especially the song Sky Machine; that one really caught my attention. But, for some reason i keep reading that people think the last half is the least interesting and that Sky Machine is the worst song on the album.

I don't understand this...

Sky Machine has grown on me tremendously.

It all goes downhill from 'Alpha and Omega'.

Forgivable, given it's the end of the album. Solid effort either way.

Edit:

Eidolon is my favourite song of theirs.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I've been through it 'arf a dozen times now.  Definitely growing on me, but I'm waiting for the switch to flip where the songs take on that Themata/Sound Awake status that impels me to listen repeatedly and parts stick in my head.  Not there yet.  

Strange how this happens with some bands and not with others.  Not sure it has anything to do with complexity or depth... interesting phenomena.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

Kittaan said
I've been through it 'arf a dozen times now.  Definitely growing on me, but I'm waiting for the switch to flip where the songs take on that Themata/Sound Awake status that impels me to listen repeatedly and parts stick in my head.  Not there yet.  

Strange how this happens with some bands and not with others.  Not sure it has anything to do with complexity or depth... interesting phenomena.

I think it has something to do with soul, or heart, or whatever synonymous word you want to use...
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

That is an interesting phenomena though, and one that i have spent much time pondering.

How is it that a piece of music can go from flat and lifeless, to the most beautiful, extraordinary, sensational, groundbreaking, spine-tingling, majestic sounds ever to be heard by human ears, just by having an open mind and a little patience; along with the proper artist of choice?
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

like yeah man 420blazeit
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Ok on repeated listens I'm starting to really like this album.

I can go on record and say musicianship wise this is the best thing they have done, will I end up liking it more than Sound Awake? Too early to tell. In saying that it's funny that I felt that there was a huge step up between Themeta and Sound Awake, with Sound Awake making Themeta sound almost like a garbage nu metal album and in some respects they've done it again with this album, there is barely any cheese to be had here, which is probably why I disliked it, there is so much depth in this record. The 3 7+ minute tracks are my favs atm.

Can't fool the vool.

Their fucking name still fucking sucks dick though.