Red Fang

Music in all its forms and styles
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Red Fang

Post by hellboy »

Red Fang have a new album coming out in October called Whales and Leeches and there's now a trailer video previewing one of the tracks, as well as the various pre-sale options. I thought the album cover they released a little while ago looked pretty cool on it's own, but turns out it's actually lenticular, and as demonstrated in the trailer, looks pretty damn cool.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

You can pre-order here: http://www.relapse.com/redfangwhales
Last edited by hellboy on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Whoops! Wrong link!
hellboy
Site Admin

Re: Red Fang

Post by hellboy »

TRACK LIST:
1. DOEN
2. Blood Like Cream
3. No Hope
4. Crows in Swine
5. Voices of the Dead
6. Behind the Light
7. Dawn Rising
8. Failure
9. 1516
10. This Animal
11. Every Little Twist
12. Murder The Mountains (Bonus Track)
13. Black Water (Bonus Track)
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

When I heard about this earlier today, I somehow got it into my head that it was releasing in the next week or two. It was a bit of a mindfuck. I'm kind of relieved that it's actually releasing in October.
Don't mow your lawn
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

hellboy wrote:Red Fang have a new album coming out in October called Whales and Leeches and there's now a trailer video previewing one of the tracks, as well as the various pre-sale options. I thought the album cover they released a little while ago looked pretty cool on it's own, but turns out it's actually lenticular, and as demonstrated in the trailer, looks pretty damn cool.

You can pre-order here: http://www.relapse.com/redfangwhales
Good shit. Digging the cover.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Anyone want to convince me to try these dudes again?

Because the first time I heard them, I thought they sucked. Hard.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

The Boss wrote:Anyone want to convince me to try these dudes again?

Watch. Listen. Enjoy.

basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Damn! Red Fang looks like a good time! :twisted:
Professor of Lesbian Science
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

This should be some good shit. One of the few times I've remembered to venture into the synchtube someone had "Wires" in the playlist and since then I've rocked these guys.
I like to poop naked.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Mog of the Architect wrote:
The Boss wrote:Anyone want to convince me to try these dudes again?

Watch. Listen. Enjoy.

Oh. More "retrostyle" unoriginal trash.

Thanks for trying, man. PASS.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Yeah, if you can't get past the whole unoriginal thing then this band aren't for you.

They are excellent at what they do though, and great live.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:Yeah, if you can't get past the whole unoriginal thing then this band aren't for you.

Was that a passive-aggressive jab?

I just think that if you want to listen to SABBATH, ZEP, KYUSS, etc etc ad nauseum, as many of these kinds of bands evoke, then you should do just that.

WOLFMOTHER was a prime example. And another band that aped ZEP to the point where it was beyond embarrassing. Fuck, I forget their name.

I just think the whole "retro" worship is fucking stupid. No one will have a problem if you wear your influences on your sleeve - just do something cool and new with it. How many bands can we think of that have been inspire by SAB, and did something great with it?

Exactly.

Bands like this, frankly, are one of the reasons why it's so hard for me to bring myself to listen to anything that anyone recommends me anymore. So many new "stoner" or straight up "metal" bands are so fucking disgustingly derivative now that it makes me angry.

And I never get angry about music. Except for TOOL. Those guys are cunts.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Wasn't really a jab, some people look for originality, others don't.

Sure, they are rocking in the stoner genre, but that don't sound overly derivative to my ears - they do a good job of bringing their own twist to it for me.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:Wasn't really a jab, some people look for originality, others don't.

Sure, they are rocking in the stoner genre, but that don't sound overly derivative to my ears - they do a good job of bringing their own twist to it for me.
Have you considered a career in diplomacy?
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

The Boss wrote:
hellboy wrote:Yeah, if you can't get past the whole unoriginal thing then this band aren't for you.

Was that a passive-aggressive jab?

I just think that if you want to listen to SABBATH, ZEP, KYUSS, etc etc ad nauseum, as many of these kinds of bands evoke, then you should do just that.

WOLFMOTHER was a prime example. And another band that aped ZEP to the point where it was beyond embarrassing. Fuck, I forget their name.

I just think the whole "retro" worship is fucking stupid. No one will have a problem if you wear your influences on your sleeve - just do something cool and new with it. How many bands can we think of that have been inspire by SAB, and did something great with it?

Exactly.

Bands like this, frankly, are one of the reasons why it's so hard for me to bring myself to listen to anything that anyone recommends me anymore. So many new "stoner" or straight up "metal" bands are so fucking disgustingly derivative now that it makes me angry.

And I never get angry about music. Except for TOOL. Those guys are cunts.
You and I agree on many bands but I disagree with you on this one. Red Fang isn't treading new ground but what they do they do very well. I could see you bitching about a band like Kadavar that absolutely are trying to be a retro/throw back up band. But Red Fang is firmly in the modern stoner rock category. Nothing about them strikes me as "retro".
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I can attest to the fact that they are a blast live. Really dug them opening for Mastodon. And my son is still rocking the killer Red Fang patch they gave me on his backpack. Coolest backpack at his school btw.

Re: the derivative debate, I fall on the "yes, I hear it, but they are bringing their own flavor to the feast" side of the argument.
Ki77aan :twisted:
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Kittaan wrote:I can attest to the fact that they are a blast live. Really dug them opening for Mastodon. And my son is still rocking the killer Red Fang patch they gave me on his backpack. Coolest backpack at his school btw.

Re: the derivative debate, I fall on the "yes, I hear it, but they are bringing their own flavor to the feast" side of the argument.
^ +1

The kid has a good father 8-)
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Blood Like Cream stream
From the Melvins' Jared Warren:
I've known Red Fang for a long time — from before their very humble beginnings in 1972, even. I knew them in the early days when they were grody dirt wizards that you never wanted to see with their shirts off. But there we were in Teeksville, Vermont, at 4 a.m. After literally burning the club to the ground following their poorly attended set, I'm pounding on the door of the cutest little bed and breakfast you've ever laid eyes on with a very drunk and hungry Red Fang demanding a pancake breakfast — topless.

In the years since, a few things have changed: The band successfully rescued guitarist David Sullivan from a hoarding situation (featured on the "If The House Is a Rockin'..." episode of Hoarders),bassist/vocalist Aaron Beam received his master's degree in the Smooooth Sciences, guitarist/vocalist Bryan Giles started the world’s first 100-perecent anti-organic farm in his kitchen, and drummer John Sherman has climbed Mt. Everest in the nude, making him only the third person ever to do so. And none of them wets the bed anymore!

That's just the stuff that's been on the news. They've also been touring the world like mad, playing to thousands of sweaty, hygienically-challenged maniacs at festivals and non-ventilated venues alike. They've made several award-winning music videos that have lots and lots of views because they're hilarious and awesome. Then this spring, they jogged 14 miles round trip to the studio everyday for 666 days and recorded a new record called Whales and Leeches.

I caught up with guitarist Bryan Giles at his neighborhood coffee shop shortly after the band recorded Whales and Leeches and asked him what their influences were while recording the new material. Giles took a slow drink of his perfectly frothed cafe latte and thoughtfully replied, "What are you, a fucking cop?" Looking for a little more insight, I asked how he thought the band had grown since their last record. He replied, "I don't know who the fuck you are, man. If you don't stop bothering me, you're going to be eating that fucking iPad!" It's clear that there's a lot of excitement about Whales and Leeches in the Red Fang camp.

You're probably not saying to yourself, "So they kind of have their shit together, big deal! What does Whales and Leeches sound like?" because you're not reading this anymore. You've already started listening to the record, or you've decided you're more concerned with whether Bon Iver is still a thing or not. On the off chance that you're a college paper writer hungry for the red-hot scoop, here's some things to know about their new record that you should already be listening to and forming your own opinions about:

The record sounds very excellent and professional, you can tell that they've been practicing their instruments. Their songs sound more thought-out and trippier. Bryan and Aaron sound like they've gotten better at singing. Every song has a riff you like. Mike Scheidt from YOB sings on a song, so you're gonna like that. It sounds more mature, like good cheese or your Aunt Sharon. Do you want me to keep rubbing your ear crotch? Sorry, I'm kind of a tease! You're just going to have to take a few minutes to listen and let Red Fang's filthy hands take the wheel, then come up with your own adjectives and opinions. I think it's a great record and they're going to make folks proud. I hope they don't get all famous and stuck up and then the VH1 special and, oh Christ.

When reflecting on what the future might hold for Red Fang, I think drummer John Sherman slurred it best: "wchhy are yooo solllannngmm? Let's maake ths sitchoo-ashun AWESome!" You said it, John. This is definitely the year for Red Fang.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Don't mow your lawn
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Not streaming for me
but went to plan b...
:twisted:
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

New album is streaming on Pitchfork

Buy it here!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Second half is much better than first. Digging it overall though.
Ki77aan :twisted:
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy wrote:
Buy it here!
Already did it earlier today along with Demimonde by Alpaca.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Listened to the album last night. My first thoughts are that it's not as immediately compelling as their last couple of albums, but it feels like there's a little more meat to the songs this time around. Expecting this one to grow on me.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

fairly solid for a first listen, I must say ... time will tell
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

New video from Red Fang. Funny shit.