Live Shows, Tours, etc.

Music in all its forms and styles
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Re: Live Shows, Tours, etc.

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy wrote:Scored some cheap tickets for Guns n' Roses on the weekend, so will be a good chance to see how played out Axl's voice is (Youtube videos suggest it's pretty shot). Haven't been to a stadium gig in a while, so should be interesting.
Bring something to read. Dollars to Donuts the show will be delayed at least an hour or four.
Ki77aan :twisted:
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I've heard that's not really been an issue with the reunited lineup. Suspicion has it that Slash may have included something about it in his contract.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Yeah, the delays seem to be thing of the past. There was a delay at the Melbourne show the other night, but that seems to be attributed to traffic.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Midnight Oil are back, and touring all over the place:

http://www.midnightoil.com/tour-dates/
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Kittaan wrote:
hellboy wrote:Scored some cheap tickets for Guns n' Roses on the weekend, so will be a good chance to see how played out Axl's voice is (Youtube videos suggest it's pretty shot). Haven't been to a stadium gig in a while, so should be interesting.
Bring something to read. Dollars to Donuts the show will be delayed at least an hour or four.
They actually started 10 minutes early (which seemed to catch a number of people off guard, mostly those who hadn't made their way into the venue).

I believe you now owe me a bunch of money and/or donuts.
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

Sooooooo, my friend decided to buy tickets to Radiohead in Miami, and he lives in Utah, haha. So he calls me up last week and tells me that his aunt who works for Royal Caribbean has her home port in Miami. We had been hooked up on a cruise from her back 10 years ago before I meet my ex-wife. So I am getting a 3 night cruise for $30 and going to see Radiohead in Miami at the end of March. I saw Radiohead in LA last year and it was easily top 3 concerts of all time and very stoked to see them again and to be in Miami. Woohoo!! Life is all about who you know when you ain't rich.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

So anyway, a couple of quick reviews from a busy weekend gig wise:

Guns n' Roses played here at Adelaide Oval. I was put off by high ticket prices ($180 for just the shitty seats when they went on sale) so waited until the week before hoping that cheap tickets would come around. As predicted GA tickets (albeit at the back of the stadium) were $50 a couple of days before the show, so nabbed a couple of them. Arrived at the venue while Wolfmother where playing. They were about as forgettable as you'd expect. Getting into the venue was pretty straight forward, but the concourse area a the oval was packed with people lining up for beers and toilets, making getting around hard work (typically it seemed everyone flocked to the same ones - bars and toilets at the back of the venue that were open were almost deserted).

GnR suprised almost everyone by starting early. Concert rookies who weren't at their seats before the expected starting time no doubt missed a few songs - the line to get down into the GA area (people had to be wrist-banded) was pretty packed for the first 4-5 songs. The nature of these big shows is that you get lots of people who never go to shows, and I guess they don't really know what expect, and just tend to think you can wander down at moments notice.

As for the show itself, it was a pretty standard stadium rock gig - fireworks, big screens, costume changes and such. GnR played pretty much all the songs you'd expect. They played several from Chinese Democracy, which gave many the opportunity to hit the bar or toilets. Body language suggested to me that Slash and Duff didn't have many fucks to give about these songs. Axl's voice is pretty shot in similar ways to Maynards - his tone is now different and he "sings" more of the high pitched stuff rather than screams. He can still belt a good scream out now and then, but I expect manages his voice through the shows.

One thing to note is the difference in quality between the video footage Tool use and GnR. GnR i expect have a much bigger budget, but their videos seem to be largely cheap and generic CGI. Tool may not have as big screens as the Gunners, but their visual show is much more compelling.

Second gig of the weekend was Thrash Blast and Grind at Fowlers last night. First band up where Melbourne's Whoretopsy. There was plenty of headbanging and crab walking, but despite that I though they were pretty good. Next up were UKE's favorite Revocation. They were definitely the highlight of the night, with Dave's guitar playing being a sight to see (he holds up pretty well compared to Slash from the night before). Following them were Tasmanian's Psycroptic - they also delivered a set of top notch technical death metal. With those three done and the witching hour approaching, I decided to give King Parrot a miss. Maybe I'll catch them next time. All in all a pretty good show, certainly worth the ticket price of $38. Would happily check out any of those three bands again on subsequent tours.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

You ain't getting shit HB. I jinxed the late start by predicting it. You're welcome.

What the hell is a crab walk?! Hilarious.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Kittaan wrote: Bring something to read. Dollars to Donuts the show will be delayed at least an hour or four.
I am a lawyer and this is a binding legal contract.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Kittaan wrote:You ain't getting shit HB. I jinxed the late start by predicting it. You're welcome.

What the hell is a crab walk?! Hilarious.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

hellboy wrote: One thing to note is the difference in quality between the video footage Tool use and GnR. GnR i expect have a much bigger budget, but their videos seem to be largely cheap and generic CGI. Tool may not have as big screens as the Gunners, but their visual show is much more compelling.
While huge HD screens and visuals are the norm now for arena level productions, it always stands out to me how much more effective Tool's production is simply because they know HOW to use their content. And the content itself has so much more artistry and care put into it. NIN is the only other act I've seen that comes anywhere close.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

The crab walk is even better than I imagined.

Eat a cuke, UKE.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Hellboy needs his dollars and/or donuts! WE WILL LITIGATE!!!!
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Great lineup once again for the Psycho Las Vegas festival:

bonebroke
Geacon

Post by bonebroke »

Re: video footage

Tool in-concert vids/lights are superior to any others shows I attend these days.
That said, the 2014 Lateralus vid was to short a loop. And the spriral lights were too bright and circus-y for my taste.
I didn't care for that much :roll:
Less really is more sometimes.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

markuspoop wrote:Just got tickets to see Truckfighters out here in March. Boner is at full-mast at the moment.
Despite the fact that they didn't go on stage until 11:30 pm it was a really really really good show. Love this band.
I like to poop naked.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I know there are several Metallica fans here who may find this interesting:

http://loudwire.com/apocalyptica-plays- ... our-dates/

http://www.ticketmaster.com/Apocalyptic ... rtist_Name

I am in no way a big enough fan to want to see this OR Metallica live, but knock yourselves out.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Amazing lineup for Dark Mofo. No chance of me getting to Tassie this year though :(

Cool website/intro as well:
https://darkmofo.net.au/
DARK MOFO 2017 FULL LINEUP

Mogwai* (Scotland)
Einstürzende Neubauten*
Ulver* (Norway)
Ulver + TSO: Messe IX-VI.X* (Norway/Tasmania)
Chris Levine* (GBR)
Hermann Nitsch* (Austria)
Mike Parr
Sound of Silence: Alfredo Jaar* (USA/Chile)
Welcome Stranger
Dark Mofo and City of Hobart Winter Feast
Dark Park
Siren Song: Byron J Scullin + Supple Fox
Red Bull Music Academy: Transliminal
Crossing
+ Unconscious Collective
+ Danielle Picciotto + Alexander Hacke
+ Miles Brown
Ancient Rain
+ Paul Kelly
+ Camille O’Sullivan (Ireland/UK)
+ Feargal Murray (Scotland/UK)
Hymns to the Dead
+ Taake (Norway)
+ Anaal Nathrakh* (UK)
+ Barshasketh (UK)
+ Grave Miasma (New Zealand/Scotland)
+ Mournful Congregation
Buried Country
A.B. Original
Thelma Plum
Sleeping Beauty
+ Victorian Opera + TSO
The Museum of Everything
+ Mona
Sophie Hutchings
Ogoh-ogoh
+ The Purging
+ The Burning
Borderlands
+ Alessandro Cortini (Italy)
+ Klara Lewis (Sweden)
+ Grouper (USA)
+ Lawrence English
Xiu Xiu plays the Music of Twin Peaks (USA)
The Second Woman: Nat Randall
Radio Gothic
The Dark Chorus: Lucy Guerin Inc
Luke Howard + Tilman Robinson
Dark Mofo Films
Silence: Strings of the TSO
Nude Solstice Swim

*Australian exclusive
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

In two minds whether to see Boris or not. One one hand Life Is Noise bring plenty of good bands to Australia, and I want to support this (they often skip Adelaide). On the other I find most of Boris' work pretty mediocre.

Also I have a few other gigs on that month.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Boris seems like they could be a good live band though
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:Boris seems like they could be a good live band though
Yeah, probs but that doesn't really change my opinion though. Also Living Colour is the night before and I def have tickets for that.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Psycho Las Vegas lineup is stacked.

Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

American Industrial Metal Juggernauts MINISTRY led by Al Jourgensen take over Australia for 5 shows this September! Plus as an added bonus for the East Coast shows, the Special Guest will be American Industrial Rockers FILTER!

"The crowd was a hot mess of energy. Mosh pits swirled, shoes were lost" - The Void Report

Get My Tickets Now

The MINISTRY set list gives a nod to their past with Just One Fix, N.W.O, Psalm 69, Stigmata, Thieves, So What as well as their brutal recent songs Punch in the Face, Lies Lies Lies!

FILTER are sure to perform fan favourites Take A Picture, Hey Man Nice Shot, Welcome To The Fold, Trip Like I Do plus more!

Book Now

Pre-Sale starts Monday 22nd May at 12pm (Midday, Local Time).

‘erupted onto stage, straight into a full hard set of crowd pleasers… delivered with a ferocity unchanged’ - Metalwani

Find My Tickets

Monday 25th September - PERTH
Astor Theatre

Tuesday 26th September - ADELAIDE
The Gov

Wednesday 27th September - SYDNEY
Metro Theatre

Saturday 28th September - MELBOURNE
Forum Theatre

Sunday 1st October - BRISBANE
The Tivoli