Top 10 New (to you) albums 2013

Music in all its forms and styles
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Top 10 New (to you) albums 2013

Post by Ravenpig »

So since the yearly top 10 lists will inevitably spring up in the next few days/weeks I thought it'd be a neat idea to start it off with something a bit different. List your top 10 albums that you discovered this calendar year, it doesn't have to be something that was released this year. Pretty simple as you'll see in my list.

Top 10 New (to me) Albums 2013

1. Opeth - Blackwater Park: Holy fuck why did I wait so long to hear this?

2. Intronaut- Prehistoricisms: A song about australopithecus! Their best album in my opinion.

3. The Doors- L.A. Woman (Alternate versions): More like practice in the studio, but damn do they have fun with these. Highly recommend.

4. Crippled Black Phoenix- A Love of Shared Disasters: My favorite AOTW, still hear it regularly. Goodnight, Europe and You Take the Devil Out of Me are phenomenal.

5. Opeth- Morningrise: Parts of this are even better than Blackwater Park.

6. Pink Floyd- Live at Pompeii: Believe it or not I hadn't heard/seen this until this year!

7. Mastodon- Leviathan: Pretty much 12 good punches to the face.

8. Ormen Lange- Ormen Lange: 4 long songs that don't feel that long. Salsu is awesome.

9. Dust- Dust: Good old fashioned rock. I agree with Blair that From a Dry Camel would make a perfect cover for Tool.

10. NIN- Hesitation Marks: An overall weak album for him/them (that even has his/their worst song ever) but I still heard it quite often. Find My Way is just as good as anything he's ever done.

Honorable mentions: Volto!- Incitaire; Intronaut- Valley of Smoke, Habitual Levitations; This Will Destroy You- Young Mountain; Iron Age- The Sleeping Eye; Skelentonwitch- Serpents Unleashed

Favorite new (to me) band: Opeth

Runner up: Intronaut
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Re: Top 10 New (to you) albums 2013

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

1. Revocation - Revocation: One of my favorite albums this year. These guys are one of my new favorite bands. I love everything they've put out.

2. Pandemonium - Killing Joke: Millennium has one of the best riffs ever.

3. Oceanic - Isis: This album is easily in my top 20 albums of all time, possibly even top 10.

4. Ultraviolet - Kylesa: My first exposure to Kylesa. I now have all of their albums and I love all of them.

5. Fantastic Planet - Failure: I've been hearing people gush about this album for awhile now, and they certainly every right to because it is fantastic (planet)

6. Songs For The Deaf - Queens Of The Stone Age: I remember really digging "No One Knows" when I first heard it. Then for some reason I decided they were terrible and earlier this year I realized that I had no idea why I didn't like them. Anyways this album is great and Queens of the Stone Age are now one of my favorite rock bands.

7. Atma - YOB: Never really been into Doom Metal, but this album is great.

8. Ghost Reveries - Opeth: This wasn't my first Opeth album, but it was the first one to really grab me. "The Grand Conjuration" is easily one of the best Metal songs of the decade.

9. Fear of a Blank Planet - Porcupine Tree: None of Steven Wilson's work has ever really impressed me, but I love this album.

10. Here Come The Waterworks - Big Business: Always liked the Melvins and I've always enjoyed Big Business whenever I heard one of their songs, but for some reason I never checked out any of their albums until a few weeks ago.

Favorite new (to me) band: Revocation
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Ravenpig wrote:A song about australopithecus!
Guess what RPig! You've now said this enough times that it's now officially your catch-phrase. Congratulations!
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Heh, I was wondering if anyone had caught on to that. Interesting looking list, by the way.
Hey! Denty!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I like the idea RP... I'll be back later.
Ki77aan :twisted:
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Kittaan wrote:I'll be back...

...later.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I'm going to exclude any albums from 2013 from my list, so these are all older albums I've picked up this year that I've enjoyed (in no particular order):
  1. Lou Reed - Transformer: Sad that it took his death to remind me how good this album was
  2. Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick: One of my Dad's favourites, and I finally found the time to listen to this classic
  3. Sleep - Dopesmoker: After seeing them live last month I'm 100% committed to this album (except for the dope smoking part)
  4. Black Widow - Sacrifice: Scary 70s rock
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Sleep - Dopesmoker: After seeing them live last month I'm 100% committed to this album (except for the dope smoking part)
Hellboy has officially chosen bath salts as his preferred method of intoxication
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

hellboy wrote:I'm going to exclude any albums from 2013 from my list, so these are all older albums I've picked up this year that I've enjoyed (in no particular order):
  1. Lou Reed - Transformer: Sad that it took his death to remind me how good this album was
  2. Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick: One of my Dad's favourites, and I finally found the time to listen to this classic
  3. Sleep - Dopesmoker: After seeing them live last month I'm 100% committed to this album (except for the dope smoking part)
I've never given Lou Reed an honest shot, I'm gonna start with this one.
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Ravenpig wrote:
hellboy wrote:I'm going to exclude any albums from 2013 from my list, so these are all older albums I've picked up this year that I've enjoyed (in no particular order):
I've never given Lou Reed an honest shot, I'm gonna start with this one.
Yeah me too.
Don't mow your lawn
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Well discovering Biosphere - Substrata certainly was a huge moment for me this year

joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Whoops wrong thread
edin
My pain is just an excuse

Post by edin »

1. Jon Hopkins - Immunity ( phenomenally beautiful album)
2. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing (not as good as Grace For Drowning but still incredible with an array of multi-talented musicians)
3. Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
4. Sigur Rós - Kveikur
5. Prurient - Through the Window
6. Shuggie Otis ‎– Introducing Shuggie Otis
7. Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven
8. Vatican Shadow - Remember Your Black Day
9. Autechre - Exai
10. Xabec -Closing The Circle
edin
My pain is just an excuse

Post by edin »

Not Tyson wrote:Well discovering Biosphere - Substrata certainly was a huge moment for me this year

NOT TYSON! Me as well! Awesome ambient album! I had heard Cirque a while ago and saw that Substrata was listed as overall top ambient album of all time I checked it out this year.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Dunno if I feel like coming up with 10 albums but some new bands that I got into this year include Red Fang (thanks to whomever posted "Wires" in the synctube thing), Russian Circles (thanks to Mog) and Clutch (thanks to BKKG who I think maybe mentioned them on here way back).

New favorite band to me: Clutch. Most of their albums give me a big ol'e boner.
I like to poop naked.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

markuspoop wrote:New favorite band to me: Clutch. Most of their albums give me a big ol'e boner.
Wait til you see 'em live. Excellent on recordings, unreal live. The only problem is that lately they tour with, IMO, not such great support acts. Or they support shit bands.

Hopefully they'll tour again with themselves ala The Bakerton group. Which you should also check out:

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

Love this shit too.
Ki77aan :twisted:
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

^I did see 'em live no less than a month ago when they were out here. Was freaking sweet.

Plus I love 'em b/c they're local, Maryland boys.
I like to poop naked.